Sanituff cutting boards

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Seattle_Ben

Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Seattle_Ben »

They're ugly as all get out but at the nicest place that I ever worked that what we used. They're certainly relatively cheap depending on where you get them and I was pretty surprised at how durable they were. Finer blades definitely had potential to get into them but they sure were gentle on edges. Seem a little surprised that I've never seen anyone even reference them.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-x-1 ... 1218H.html
Kit Craft

Re: Sanituff cutting boards

Post by Kit Craft »

I have heard other talk about these and others in the past but have never used one. I might have to pick one up for my mother. She is about due for a new board as I am sure her semi annual face grain looks like a taco shell at this point.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

They're nice I really enjoy them.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

They have been brought up a few times in cutting board threads. Generally they get pretty positive reviews if using/needing something other than wood.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Jeff B wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 pm They have been brought up a few times in cutting board threads. Generally they get pretty positive reviews if using/needing something other than wood.
Yep. +1. Search and you should find it...might need to look on old site.

I have one - way better than poly but not quite as nice as hi soft. A bit of a muted hard rubber feel on feedback. Can get a touch of blade scarring, but no where near as bad as poly. Supposedly can sand down, although I've never tried. Keep away from heat.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?
delmar

Post by delmar »

Yep, they are pricey.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm They're nice I really enjoy them.
My thoughts also
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I got mine for like $30 at a restaurant supply store Eh Thompson.
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

delmar wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 pm They have been brought up a few times in cutting board threads. Generally they get pretty positive reviews if using/needing something other than wood.
Yep. +1. Search and you should find it...might need to look on old site.

I have one - way better than poly but not quite as nice as hi soft. A bit of a muted hard rubber feel on feedback. Can get a touch of blade scarring, but no where near as bad as poly. Supposedly can sand down, although I've never tried. Keep away from heat.
The other place that I worked that used them ruined three by leaving them in the dishwasher.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Chefspence wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?
Sanituff is darn near the same thing.

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I have a High - Soft which is about 16-1/2 x 15-1/2 x 3/4" and I like it a lot for dealing with a chicken or other meats when I don't want to get that stuff into my good wood cutting boards.The High Soft also keeps my knife edge safe. I'm thinking I paid like $48 bucks for it at Korin. I didn't know about Santituff when I bought it. Mine is easy to clean and hasn't stained yet.I'm sure it will in time but I don't let it sit around with blood on it either,when I am done,I clean it up.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am
Chefspence wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm Is high-soft super expensive, or am i not finding the good deals?

We always had these on the line, probably because they are easy to custom shape but always used poly in prep. I never minded them but they stain easy.
I saw something on amazon for 4-600$. I figured that couldn’t be right.
RickR

Post by RickR »

Chefspence wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 am

Korin has more reasonable prices, though they are still expensive. http://www.korin.com/TK-203-01-100

I've used both and the Hi-Soft will stand up under abuse a lot better than a Sani-Tuff. Scars on Hi-Soft are somewhat self-healing, not so much on Sani-Tuff.
sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

I've been thinking of getting one of these. For home use, is there much of an added benefit to the 1" thick boards compared to the 1/2" thick ones, like there is with wood? I've read that they can warp but are easy to reflatten.
--Tony
old onion

Post by old onion »

sharksfan7 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am I've been thinking of getting one of these. For home use, is there much of an added benefit to the 1" thick boards compared to the 1/2" thick ones, like there is with wood? I've read that they can warp but are easy to reflatten.
My 3/4 inch thick Hi-Soft is pretty stiff and not flexible so I doubt warpage would be a problem. I wouldn't use real hot boiling water on any of them though.I think they warn against that.Consider that the thicker the board,the more money it will cost too.
sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

old onion wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am
Consider that the thicker the board,the more money it will cost too.
Yeah, that's why I asked. I'm always looking to save a few bucks. If a 1/2" thick one would serve me just as well as a thicker one, I'd prefer to go that route. For my wood board I didn't want to go thinner than 1.5", but I don't think there are the same issues to consider with the synthetic rubber boards. However, if there was a compelling reason to go thicker with the Sani-tuff, I would.
--Tony
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Link at the top has em for $40. Not sure what shipping is exactly but the 1" thick worked well in production settings so should be totally fine for home use.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

sharksfan7 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am I've been thinking of getting one of these. For home use, is there much of an added benefit to the 1" thick boards compared to the 1/2" thick ones, like there is with wood? I've read that they can warp but are easy to reflatten.
We always out ours through the dish pit at the end of the night and they would warp a little but the flattened out by morning. Ours were probably closer to 3/4.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Seattle_Ben wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Link at the top has em for $40. Not sure what shipping is exactly but the 1" thick worked well in production settings so should be totally fine for home use.
Right I did another search just to check and got some crazyvprices