Best Value Gyuto on the site.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Kit Craft

Re: Best Value Gyuto on the site.

Post by Kit Craft »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 am Above the mentioned prices:

Kanehiro AS 210mm

Best all around performance
Excellent heat treat and grinds
HRC isn't as high as the chromax
Taller better profile and a little more robust to help instill a feel of confidence.
I tend to like his profiles in general. Knives too.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 am

Kanehiro AS 210mm

Taller better profile and a little more robust to help instill a feel of confidence.
I tend to like his profiles in general. Knives too.
It would be my one and done
Making it for me best value
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 am

Kanehiro AS 210mm

Though some of the less expensive knives are good buys I don't solely relate price to a bargain or best buy. Like Some Tojiros and the FKM, your getting what you pay for. Decent knife and inexpensive doesn't mean best buy. It has to be a very good product at an exceptional price. This is why I like the Gihei Blue #2 Nashiji, Kurosaki AS Kurouchi, Makoto Shirogami #2 even the Kanehide knives. All exceptional knives at very good prices for what you get.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Jeff B wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:42 pm
Nmiller21k wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 am

Kanehiro AS 210mm

Though some of the less expensive knives are good buys I don't solely relate price to a bargain or best buy. Like Some Tojiros and the FKM, your getting what you pay for. Decent knife and inexpensive doesn't mean best buy. It has to be a very good product at an exceptional price. This is why I like the Gihei Blue #2 Nashiji, Kurosaki AS Kurouchi, Makoto Shirogami #2 even the Kanehide knives. All exceptional knives at very good prices for what you get.
+1 Man
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I just finished making dinner slicing up some red onions and yesterdays Tri Tip smoked BBQ into thin slices. I used my Konosuke Fujiyama B#2 210mm gyuto and was thinking about this post of a "value knife". Yes I understand that my Fuji is costly (more now than when I bought mine) but considering the other knives I have (some much more expensive) I tend to reach for the Fuji almost every day. I think that for me this knife is "my best value" since a lot of other knives just sit waiting their turn. I'm very grateful that Mark has this supplier and is able to bring this quality of knife into the CKTG store - thanks Mark and company!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Idk, compared to a Suisin Western Inox an FKM is a hell of a bargain. Same performance and similar fit and finish (on my examples) for half the price. However I do agree that stepping up the price range just a few $$ gains you a lot. But I have also found that you give up things, such as durability, in return. Which to US is not a concern but I wonder if it is for a lot of people who buy from Mark and other retailers but do not post here. Which I would bet it is based on the number of reviews these knives, vs many of the hand made offerings, receive.

That said, my ultimate price vs performance bargain pick is a Tanaka. I wish Mark had the full offerings from Shigeki. Though those Makoto offerings are really a steal too!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

It’s always dangerous reading a thread like this. You learn of other qaulity knives that are priced right. I ended up ordering a Kanehide 210 Wa handle. At 125.00 it looks like a fun catch and maybe release. Kit keeps mentioning the Tanaka B2, I almost went that route, maybe next time. Mark makes this fun, lots of interaction involving forum members, it like he enjoys this knife stuff or something. I’ll be interested to see what he mentions.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

My Fujiyama was a best value knife when I bought it, but that would be difficult to say now after the price increases. They are certainly better than most knives, but they cost quite a lot more than most knives. I think they perform more or less on par with their pricing.

The general suggestions have been good. The Gihei blue #2 line is my choice. I have the 240mm gyuto and tall petty and they perform on a very high level.
slobound

Post by slobound »

I love hearing that the Gihei continues to be mentioned as an excellent contender for "bang for your buck"! It's one I still need to try.

For myself, the couple of knives that just stand out for value are my Tanaka B2 and Makoto W2. They are just killer knives at their price point!
-- Garrick
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Lepus wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:46 am My Fujiyama was a best value knife when I bought it, but that would be difficult to say now after the price increases. They are certainly better than most knives, but they cost quite a lot more than most knives. I think they perform more or less on par with their pricing.

The general suggestions have been good. The Gihei blue #2 line is my choice. I have the 240mm gyuto and tall petty and they perform on a very high level.
I feel that's the case with many popular "good value" knives ... get on it early or it's not going to stay good value for long.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I still think the Makoto tops my list. I am having trouble resisting the SG2 that just showed up.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Bensbites wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:48 am I still think the Makoto tops my list. I am having trouble resisting the SG2 that just showed up.
Yes, but I agree with the post above yours. I bet, like many other good values, the Makoto offerings will go up in price. That won't make them any less of a good knife but it will put them in a price bracket that is more competitive, imo. I guess that is just the nature of these things.

Then again, maybe they won't go up. But I doubt it.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:53 am
Bensbites wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:48 am I still think the Makoto tops my list. I am having trouble resisting the SG2 that just showed up.
Yes, but I agree with the post above yours. I bet, like many other good values, the Makoto offerings will go up in price. That won't make them any less of a good knife but it will put them in a price bracket that is more competitive, imo. I guess that is just the nature of these things.

Then again, maybe they won't go up. But I doubt it.
I agree. We are helping generate the demand here, with this thread. Any knives that are considered good values could by that logic go through price increases.
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

Man I just notice the new Makoto but is out of stock already..
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Can I say Best Gyuto value site is truly interesting and most imformative. Everybody likes the idea of a best value. Not only opinions but first hand knowledge of actually using the mentioned knife. I find myself looking up these knives to find out more about them and hoping they are in stock. Again truly interesting
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Oh, I just noticed the R2 Makoto Sakura. Looks super freaky thin. I have too many lasers now. I'd love to see him do R2 in his W#2 configuration.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

matchplay18 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:29 pm Can I say Best Gyuto value site is truly interesting and most imformative. Everybody likes the idea of a best value. Not only opinions but first hand knowledge of actually using the mentioned knife. I find myself looking up these knives to find out more about them and hoping they are in stock. Again truly interesting
They are listed as in stock.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

marcel2006 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:45 pm Man I just notice the new Makoto but is out of stock already..
They are in stock.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy21.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy24.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:48 pm There is an even newer one

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/masasg2wagy2.html
Oh, cool. Thanks for pointing that one out. It doesn't show up when I go to the Makoto Knives, Shop by Brand page.
--Tony