Yahiko ICE gyuto

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Chefspence

Yahiko ICE gyuto

Post by Chefspence »

Fantastic looking! I’ve been eyeing the 180 bunka for a while and really liked SteveG’s thoughts on it. Wanting to see a vid ASAP! :D
Jeff B

Re: Yahiko ICE gyuto

Post by Jeff B »

Yeah Spence that is definitely a very intriguing line, can't wait to hear more about it! It being stainless clad is a big plus. I only wonder what the finish feels like and if it will have a noticeable drag to it. But it shur is perty! :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Mark keeps getting knives that cause me to pick up extra shifts at work.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

OgerBash wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 pm Mark keeps getting knives that cause me to pick up extra shifts at work.
:lol:

I ponder every winter wether I should get a second job just to feed the need
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:08 pm Yeah Spence that is definitely a very intriguing line, can't wait to hear more about it! It being stainless clad is a big plus. I only wonder what the finish feels like and if it will have a noticeable drag to it. But it shur is perty! :D
That’s a really good, valid point. Now I want to know too. Beautiful looking grind on these. Gyuto s have a similar profile to the nashiji and KU lines... at least to the naked eye.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:31 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:08 pm Yeah Spence that is definitely a very intriguing line, can't wait to hear more about it! It being stainless clad is a big plus. I only wonder what the finish feels like and if it will have a noticeable drag to it. But it shur is perty! :D
That’s a really good, valid point. Now I want to know too. Beautiful looking grind on these. Gyuto s have a similar profile to the nashiji and KU lines... at least to the naked eye.
I just keep going back and looking at that profile and grind, both just look awesome to me! Going to keep a very close eye on these.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 pm
I just keep going back and looking at that profile and grind, both just look awesome to me! Going to keep a very close eye on these.
Well let’s start a passaround! ;)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Well let’s start a passaround! ;)
I like that idea but need to wait a bit. I have a knife here now and another on the way next week...pass around fatigue... :ugeek:
But I do like that idea, let's not forget it!
slobound

Post by slobound »

These do look nice! I could add another stainless clad to the group.
-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I believe Mauichef could shed some light on the texture of the blade-face, and whether or not it's got some drag. He had the Hakata (or was it the bunka) in his possession for a while, or he still has it.
I think I recall him saying good things, but I don't remember (and am too lazy to search for) anything else he had to say about it.
Gorgeous knives.
I think they are made by... the same fellow who makes the nashiji and KU. No? Where were the bunka and hakata placed before this current page?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

They were placed in yahiko nashiji, I bought that hakata from ray. Love it. Frosted blade face that can be easy to accidentally smooth out a little, say with a cork and baking soda for instance.
Very thin behind the tip, performs much like the shibata battleship but with more forward weight for light chopping. Great on tip draws.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Got my Yahiko Ice today. Sure enough, it's made by the same smith as the Yahiko Kurouchi and Nashiji. Kanji is the same. The Yahiko Nashiji is one of my favorite knives so I was looking forward to a comparison.

The Ice is lighter, about 5.8 oz. It's a tweener of sorts - between a laser and middle weight. Cuts very much like an HD or Shibata AS, though. Very thin edge and tip.

Great grind. Even though the knife is thin, it has some convexing. The grind moves gradually from higher up the blade down to the tip, with no sudden step or whatever you'd call it. Seamless transition.

The knife is beautiful. Simple beauty, but beauty nonetheless. I though the frosted blade would be sticky, but it really wasn't. The bit of convexing helped. Handle is quite nice with good fit and finish. Really an impeccable package.

I am tempted to sell my Shibata AS and even my Yahiko Nashiji after trying this one. The Shibata is a killer of a knife, but I just don't reach for lasers a lot. The Ice cuts almost as well as the Shibata - high praise - but it's a little stouter. The Nashiji is more of a welterweight and a bit flatter, so there's still plenty of contrast with the Ice.

I was thinking of doing a hosted passaround, but this knife is too pretty. It would get mucked up. I also might sell soon even if I really like it. I am two over my self-determined limit.

Here are some photos of the Shibata (top), Ice (middle) and Nashiji (bottom). Picture quality does not do the Ice justice.

Jeffry B
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

These guys know what they’re doing. Everything I get from them is impressive.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I just got mine in the mail. The finish is amazing! I can't wait to try it this weekend.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 pm Got my Yahiko Ice today. Sure enough, it's made by the same smith as the Yahiko Kurouchi and Nashiji. Kanji is the same...
Isn't the kanji the same on all the Yahiko lines?

I dunno, Jeff. What I do understand is that the Yahiko lines involve three different smiths or shops. The R2 and VG10 are by one shop, the Shimo and hammered by another and the Ice, Nashiji and KU by a third (yoshikane). The kanji on the ice and Nashiji look exactly alike (stamped?)
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

these are beautiful
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Anonymous wrote:
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
jbart65 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 pm Got my Yahiko Ice today. Sure enough, it's made by the same smith as the Yahiko Kurouchi and Nashiji. Kanji is the same...
Isn't the kanji the same on all the Yahiko lines?
I dunno, Jeff. What I do understand is that the Yahiko lines involve three different smiths or shops. The R2 and VG10 are by one shop, the Shimo and hammered by another and the Ice, Nashiji and KU by a third (yoshikane). The kanji on the ice and Nashiji look exactly alike (stamped?)
I do understand that they come from three different shops. But it's like Mazaki making the Yahiko Hairline, before he started using his name, I thought the kanji on that knife said "Yahiko". I thought all the other lines had the same. The pictures on the product pages aren't the greatest but all the kanji look the same to me.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Makes sense, Jeff.

Whatever the case, this knife is fantastic. Cuts as well as anything I've ever used and it's quite a looker.

Not sure I've tried a knife like this. It's like a cross between a Koishi and and a Kono HD.

It's close to 6 oz in weight, but feels and cuts very much like lasers. I suspect the blade is of a similar weight to an HD, with the handle accounting for most of the difference.

As sharp as any knife I've tried. Tremendously fluent tip. As thin as they get at the edge. Superb and seamless grind. A surprising amount of convexing for such a thin blade.

What's not to like? The Ice rocks decently and can chop low and soft ingredients, but it's a classic pusher. The edge is so thin it feels a bit fragile. And it doesnt have a lot of weight for those who prefer meatier knives. The fine finish will eventually get mucked up and who knows how it will look after that.

Now I have to decide whether to keep the Ice and sell the Shibata. Or sell the both since I lean toward middleweight knives. I also want to try the Yahiko Kurouchi. It's a touch taller than my Nashiji.

These knives are all terrific. Lots of folks are missing out ...
Jeffry B
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

That's a stellar review Jeffry! Making me wish I had tried one myself.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am Makes sense, Jeff.

Whatever the case, this knife is fantastic. Cuts as well as anything I've ever used and it's quite a looker.

Not sure I've tried a knife like this. It's like a cross between a Koishi and and a Kono HD.

It's close to 6 oz in weight, but feels and cuts very much like lasers. I suspect the blade is of a similar weight to an HD, with the handle accounting for most of the difference.

As sharp as any knife I've tried. Tremendously fluent tip. As thin as they get at the edge. Superb and seamless grind. A surprising amount of convexing for such a thin blade.

What's not to like? The Ice rocks decently and can chop low and soft ingredients, but it's a classic pusher. The edge is so thin it feels a bit fragile. And it doesnt have a lot of weight for those who prefer meatier knives. The fine finish will eventually get mucked up and who knows how it will look after that.

Now I have to decide whether to keep the Ice and sell the Shibata. Or sell the both since I lean toward middleweight knives. I also want to try the Yahiko Kurouchi. It's a touch taller than my Nashiji.

These knives are all terrific. Lots of folks are missing out ...
Dude! As if I wasn’t wanting one enough already...