If you could pick any Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
pecanbery

If you could pick any Gyuto

Post by pecanbery »

If you could pick any gyuto regardless of the price, what would you pick and why?

I see a lot of people talk about honyaki knives as the epitome but they seem to have many disadvantages even without considering the price. If price isn't a factor I'm curious to see what else is important to people.
Kit Craft

Re: If you could pick any Gyuto

Post by Kit Craft »

Me, at this point I am going to be one of those honyaki answers, even though I have never used one. However, a honyaki version of a knife I already own. I would get a Masamoto KS honyaki. Why? Because my KS is my best all rounder that I have used, hands down. Now don't get that confused with it being the best knife, in general, that I have owned because it is not. It does pretty much nothing perfectly but everything fairly well or better than average and that, to me, is important. It takes a scary edge and holds it well, better than average for white #2 though not as good as my Yuki it is fairly close. I think getting the honyaki would make a difference in that it seems to be a very slightly different knife in that it is normally slightly taller and has a bit more meat to the grind as well as running a little longer. It is also going to be a harder blade with better edge retention.

Otherwise I would go full custom. Wide bevel KU 49-51mm tall, 220-230mm long and with a forgecraft like profile. Probably white steel or 1095 depending on the maker and preferably at around 62 hrc as I have found that (according to listed numbers) to be my preferred hardness in such steel. D shaped maple handle with black wood collar. :)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Been far to many of these threads lately for me now.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

For me "the one that got away" was the Tetsuhiro AS Western Gyuto; I didn't buy one in time. If there's ever another run, I'm in for a 240mm.

As far as honyaki knives go, my sharpening skills just aren't up to par yet, and nor is my budget.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 am Me, at this point I am going to be one of those honyaki answers, even though I have never used one. However, a honyaki version of a knife I already own. I would get a Masamoto KS honyaki. Why? Because my KS is my best all rounder that I have used, hands down. Now don't get that confused with it being the best knife, in general, that I have owned because it is not. It does pretty much nothing perfectly but everything fairly well or better than average and that, to me, is important. It takes a scary edge and holds it well, better than average for white #2 though not as good as my Yuki it is fairly close. I think getting the honyaki would make a difference in that it seems to be a very slightly different knife in that it is normally slightly taller and has a bit more meat to the grind as well as running a little longer. It is also going to be a harder blade with better edge retention.

Otherwise I would go full custom. Wide bevel KU 49-51mm tall, 220-230mm long and with a forgecraft like profile. Probably white steel or 1095 depending on the maker and preferably at around 62 hrc as I have found that (according to listed numbers) to be my preferred hardness in such steel. D shaped maple handle with black wood collar. :)
Sounds great. Have one made and then let me try it ;)
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Hmmmm...
old onion

Post by old onion »

Is there a time limit for the answer? :P
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Qapla' wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:45 am For me "the one that got away" was the Tetsuhiro AS Western Gyuto; I didn't buy one in time. If there's ever another run, I'm in for a 240mm.

As far as honyaki knives go, my sharpening skills just aren't up to par yet, and nor is my budget.

I grabbed a Tet 210 AS western as a gift for my brother. Closeout price was too good to pass up.

I'd be surprised if they come back. Should have sold better. The Tet Hammered line went faster, but even those sales were a bit slow despite the high quality of the knife.

As for m top pick, see the related thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6760
Jeffry B
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

We (okay, mostly I) talked about where honyaki gyutos fall in the grand scheme of things in a thread we had recently. I don't think it is a cut and dried better style of knife than clad and I am quite sure they are not the uncontested epitome of performance. More artistic, maybe, so I can see why people would want them, certainly in this context.

I still just want a Kiyoshi Kato.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6627
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Hmmmm...
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm
Qapla' wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:45 am For me "the one that got away" was the Tetsuhiro AS Western Gyuto; I didn't buy one in time. If there's ever another run, I'm in for a 240mm.

I grabbed a Tet 210 AS western as a gift for my brother. Closeout price was too good to pass up.

I'd be surprised if they come back. Should have sold better. The Tet Hammered line went faster, but even those sales were a bit slow despite the high quality of the knife.

As for m top pick, see the related thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6760
I'll answer the question for you in a simpler way, Jeff. It's your Tanaka blue2 Damascus.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

You are a mind reader, Ramon. Gotta get your prediction for the Belmont - Oh wait! :shock:
Jeffry B
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

It wouldn't matter, my next knife isn't my last knife.
pecanbery

Post by pecanbery »

Well I ended up getting something made, I'll let you guys know when it turns up in a few months.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

If I were a rich man... I would get my hands on (in no particular order):

- Yahiko KU hammered 210 with a custom (unstabilized-) handle - that thing goes through food - and let's it fly off the blade - like nothing I've had so far.
- Kono HD2 240 - just because everyone says they're all that, and I think they know what they're talking about
- Masamoto KS - for the same reason as the Kono
- Saji Rainbow Damascus (though I wish it came with a wa handle, and lighter weight).
- Kurosaki Hammered 240, also
- Possibly also a... Harukaze AS, or a Kohetsu AS... just because they seem graceful and understated.

I own the Tanaka B#2, and it's wonderful. Having a Tanaka R2 damascus would also be nice. If money wasn't an issue ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

throw in a ZDP-189 Sukenari, too, please
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
snipes

Post by snipes »

A Bob Kramer, then promptly turn around and sell it.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Oh, I like snipes' answer, I'm changing mine.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am If I were a rich man... I would get my hands on (in no particular order):

- Yahiko KU hammered 210 with a custom (unstabilized-) handle - that thing goes through food - and let's it fly off the blade - like nothing I've had so far.
- Kono HD2 240 - just because everyone says they're all that, and I think they know what they're talking about
- Masamoto KS - for the same reason as the Kono
- Saji Rainbow Damascus (though I wish it came with a wa handle, and lighter weight).
- Kurosaki Hammered 240, also
- Possibly also a... Harukaze AS, or a Kohetsu AS... just because they seem graceful and understated.

I own the Tanaka B#2, and it's wonderful. Having a Tanaka R2 damascus would also be nice. If money wasn't an issue ;)
You don't have to be a rich man it just takes patients and one or two over many years... ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Just a response to the Sukenari ZDP 189. I have had a 240 mm Hairline for awhile. Everlasting edge nimble pricey and has a propensity to micro chip no matter how diligent you are. I see also the HD2 240 back in stock I have had one these for awhile. Again super nimble great release minimal care. For me I wish it held an edge a little longer but great knife. For me I have come to really like the Kohetsu Hap-40 240mm light nimble just a little sweep or arch on the belly. I haven't had the problems with chipping like the ZDP-189 I have put this to the test cutting anything everything and no chipping. Sharpening the blade wasn't to bad my sharpest edge eve,r and I did experiment on few different stones. But you will want to keep it sharp. I will say I truly find these forums very informative it is amazing what you learn. I am always finding the questions answered I never asked.