Knives to Bring to Chicago Show

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Knives to Bring to Chicago Show

Post by Jeff B »

I think this would be a good place for guys to list knives that they are bringing and/or would like to see brought to Chicago by attendees, something like a big in person pass around. Doesn't have to be exotic or expensive knives just knives you're interested in, examples to compare to others or just anything you might have a general interest in.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Re: Knives to Bring to Chicago Show

Post by Kalaeb »

I think having all the KS clones side by side with would be cool.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm I think having all the KS clones side by side with would be cool.
I can bring the real thing hopefully others will bring some clones.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

If anyone from Minneapolis is going I can send a few
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

In general I'm hoping to see some nice custom handle and saya work.

I'd really love to see all the different handle shape/style options that people have on their knives.
The flat sided oval, coke bottle, timos' dovetail, etc.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Really good thread and perhaps we can cajole lepus into adding an additional worksheet to the google doc. to reflect responses. List might get culled down a bit, but definitely want to bring a good cross section of Fujis and some of the more scarce knives in the block. Here's what I've got in mind at the moment:

Konosuke
1) HM, 210mm gytuo
2) Fujiyama Togo Reigo, 240mm gyuto (original run from a few years ago)
3) Fujiyama Togo Reigo, 240mm gyuto (recent run)
3) W2 Honyaki, 240mm gyuto (Ashi)
4) Fujiyama W1, 240mm K-tip
5) Fujiyama B2, 240mm funayuki/gyuto

Other
1) Tsubaya Tsukigage W2 Honyaki, 270mm gyuto (aka Shiraki Fuji Moon)
2) Mizuno Tanrenjo Akidata B2 Honyaki, 240mm gyuto
3) Shigefusa Kasumi, 270mm suji
4) Kiyoshi Kato W2, 240mm gyuto
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Later I’ll do a separate thread and bring stuff from our inventory that you guys want to see and try. But I’ll also bring my only drawer queen, the Devin Thomas Basket Weave Damascus Gyuto. I’ll also bring the sword. And I'll bring the knives I made at Takeda's workshop so guys can make fun of me. hahahaha
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I will bring a few US made knives.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am I will bring a few US made knives.
Nice, I'm really looking forward to that! I've been wanting to check out some of the cult makers for a while
salemj

Post by salemj »

An idea occurred to me that there are two obvious approaches to what Mark could bring to Chicago: 1) a bunch of individual requests, some of which may overlap and many of which might be uninteresting to members who have been around a while, or 2) “tiers” of gyutos that are commonly recommended against one another.

Many of us have experience with multiple blades, but I find that in a lot of recommendation threads, that experience seems fleeting, partial, or not really “scientific” for lack of a better word: often, we talk about knives we’ve tried months or years apart as if we’ve tried them side-by-side. Furthermore, Mark is always expanding HIS lines, which are often built precisely to compete with our most popular recommendations.

So, it might be cool to think of this as a “forum” event in which we do the forum some good by touching up our knowledge about a few basic price points and categories, and then Mark selects his own Richmond, Kohetsu, and Yohiko knives to compete with each category. This also has the benefit of being really useful for active members who are seasoned and advice givers, as well as a number of newer, younger members who are more interested in readily available knives rather than rare birds.

So, I propose any of the following "comparison" categories from Mark's inventory or in combination with others' inventories:

Category 1: Entry-level stainless 210
-Fujiwara FKM, Takamura R2, Misono 440, Masamoto VG
(PS60, TK, Yohiko R2,?)

Category 2: Home versus Pro upgrades, 210 or 240
-Kanehiro AS, Koishi/Yuki, Anryu, Makoto, Gihei, Tanaka carbons
(Harukaze, Kohetsu AS/Hap40, Yohiko, Kurosaki AS?)

Categroy 3: Powder or Ginsan?
-Kurosaki R2, Makoto R2, Kanehiro Ginsan, Saji Ginsan, Konosuke Ginsan
(Yohiko, Hap40?)

Category 4: Laser blindfold
-KS, HD2, GS+, Shibata R2, Kurosaki R2, Makoto R2

Category 5: Elite forces, built for use
-Kono Fujiyama, Takayuki Ginsan, and any or all “exotics” that Mark has in-stock.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 am If anyone from Minneapolis is going I can send a few
I'll be taking I-90 across, but that's not really close to where you are now is it?
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I don't have many to bring anymore. I do have a Kuro laser 210 with the real deal Kanji. Seems like a collectors item now with the direction they're going now(laser etching). That and a Gihei b2 210. I also have a Goko hammered 19c27 240 I got from Gopher. Must be a bit older, I've never seen it anywhere. So...my selection is quite pathetic compared to everyone else. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this :|

At least you can all have a chuckle :D
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Chefspence wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 am I don't have many to bring anymore. I do have a Kuro laser 210 with the real deal Kanji. Seems like a collectors item now with the direction they're going now(laser etching). That and a Gihei b2 210. I also have a Goko hammered 19c27 240 I got from Gopher. Must be a bit older, I've never seen it anywhere. So...my selection is quite pathetic compared to everyone else. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this :|

Don't worry, Spence. I don't own anything particularly rare or lusted after so whatever I'd bring would be similar to your stuff. I'm just coming to meet people and hang out.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chefspence wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 am I don't have many to bring anymore. I do have a Kuro laser 210 with the real deal Kanji. Seems like a collectors item now with the direction they're going now(laser etching). That and a Gihei b2 210. I also have a Goko hammered 19c27 240 I got from Gopher. Must be a bit older, I've never seen it anywhere. So...my selection is quite pathetic compared to everyone else. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this :|

Quit sucking Spence :lol:
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Quit sucking Spence :lol:
I know, I gotta step it up!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I may not bring anything, but I am considering bringing my Shibata Kashima, one of the first three with the original rosewood handle, and Takamura wa handle.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I was thinking about bringing a takayuki ginsan non Damascus, and a mazaki(jns) gyuto. I think it's an interesting comparison from the yahiko mazaki. I'm curious if they will change in the near future.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Probably going to bring several knives, mostly common but maybe a couple rare.
Thinking maybe -
HD2
KS
Koishi
Kurosaki AS and Megumi R2
Makoto W2
Mazaki 215(Cleancut)
Toyama 240 Damascus and Standard
TF 240 and 210
Pre-crazy Shaun Fernandez 230 Yo handle in s35vn
snipes

Post by snipes »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 pm Probably going to bring several knives, mostly common but maybe a couple rare.
Thinking maybe -
HD2
KS
Koishi
Kurosaki AS and Megumi R2
Makoto W2
Mazaki 215(Cleancut)
Toyama 240 Damascus and Standard
TF 240 and 210
Pre-crazy Shaun Fernandez 230 Yo handle in s35vn
Great choices Jeff and glad to see Shaun's work being represented. I was mentally sitting here thinking of what I'd bring if going and his 120 tall petty with purple handle would have been one of them. I haven't been tracking closely the knife maker attendees, but if Yu Kurosaki is going to be there, perhaps a sampling of his AS Lasers (which aren't really lasers in my book) being present would get him to make some more. Straight up fantastic knives, simply about as close to perfect for my tastes as they come. Blue collar bada$$es.
snipes

Post by snipes »

STPepper9 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 pm In general I'm hoping to see some nice custom handle and saya work.

I'd really love to see all the different handle shape/style options that people have on their knives.
The flat sided oval, coke bottle, timos' dovetail, etc.
I'd be all over this as well. I fear I'd walk out of there with about a $1k worth of planned commissions though. :)