Knife thinning

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
lsboogy

Knife thinning

Post by lsboogy »

I have a Richmond Ultimatum that I would like to get thinned - the profile is perfect for me (old Sabatier profile) but I would like to get the knife thinned to perform more like my kikuichi or kohetsu knives. I would love to get this knife thinned a bit - am using a kohetsu hap40 blade most of the time right now - would like someone to thin my Richmond so it still has the profile, but behaves more like a good Konosuke blade.
cjmeik

Re: Knife thinning

Post by cjmeik »

Shoot me an email at makeitsharper at gmail dot com. I am actually finishing up doing the same thing to the same blade for a client. Those Ultimatums nailed the KS profile but the grind left much to be desired. Nothing that can't be fixed though.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

lsboogy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 pm I have a Richmond Ultimatum that I would like to get thinned...
Just sayin'...

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Looks good!
---
Ken
old onion

Post by old onion »

Holy cow,my finger started bleeding on it's own as soon as I looked at that picture.Nice job.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Wow CJ, that looks amazing!
-- Garrick
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

Thanks, guys! This was a rewarding project. Cutting performance is night and day.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Looks good - sent you an email. I love the knife, but it need thinning. I'm just a good home cook, but I collect and use decent knives. My favorites are all pretty thin, and the reason I use this as a camping knife is the grind (we eat very well while camping - had rack of lamb, asparagus, and some very nice wine last weekend - just a quick overnight), but I always remember how much I like the profile every time I use it. It's the same as my old Sabatier knives (they are over 60 years old and still in great shape).
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

lsboogy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 pm Looks good - sent you an email. I love the knife, but it need thinning. I'm just a good home cook, but I collect and use decent knives. My favorites are all pretty thin, and the reason I use this as a camping knife is the grind (we eat very well while camping - had rack of lamb, asparagus, and some very nice wine last weekend - just a quick overnight), but I always remember how much I like the profile every time I use it. It's the same as my old Sabatier knives (they are over 60 years old and still in great shape).
For what it’s worth, I will vouch for Chris’ skills. I have a couple of knives he has reground, wow! He grinds my metal, I cut wood for him.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

lsboogy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 pm Looks good - sent you an email.
Thanks! Responded!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I just got my first thinned knife back from cjmeik - I also sharpened it on my new Ken stone and a shapton 6K and a kitayama 8K stone - nothing thought through, no reason, just wanted to steepen the angle on my Richmond Ultimatum AEBL "camping knife" (it is the knife I take with camping - stainless and takes a decent edge and has a nice profile for me). I'm going to take just one knife to cook lunch with for my work gang tomorrow - salmon, asparagus, garlic bread and maybe something else - my crew gets a grilled lunch from me 10-12 times a year as thanks for their efforts - I buy prep cook and serve - company has a huge 6' long grill out front that I seem to be the only one to ever use

Anyway, back to the gist of things, the knife seems to go through onions better than it did, and the new steeper angle (about 20 degrees total) along with whatever thinning Chris did to the thing made it much more like a Kohetsu than it was for dropping through stuff (I also cut up a baguette with it for fun). I'm learning about grind as being as important as anything - I wish I would have known about thinning 20 years ago when I started seriously collecting chef knives - this is my first adventure with thinning - I'll know more about what I like as I progress down this path, but my first taste was quite good. Knives seem to be steel, profile, and grind - this is my first time taking a profile I love and modifying the grind. I may send it back to him for more thinning, but for now I will give the thing a week or two of duty before I make any other decisions - I'm just happy I have found this place - most knife sellers just want to know how much I'm going to spend - this place listens to me and I am finding out what makes for a wonderful knife. Thank you Mark for providing this place to learn