KS clones

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
matchplay18

KS clones

Post by matchplay18 »

Looking for some feedback. From time to time somebody will mention a KS clone. Are they worthy or there reputation? Any comparable brands. Of course this is subjective. I am sure this has come up before sorry if it is posted elsewhere. Just curious.
Jeff B

Re: KS clones

Post by Jeff B »

The profile is the only thing "KS" about any of the clones.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
RickR

Post by RickR »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:18 pm The profile is the only thing "KS" about any of the clones.
And sometimes not even that.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Take a look at the french profile subpage on CKTG. I don't know if any are a 'replica' or 'copy', but they do have similarities and attributes that justify being on that page. I've got my personal favorites, but I'll keep it quiet for now - lots of different flavors to taste.
Unsharp

Post by Unsharp »

I have a Konosuke GS+ KS profile. Only used a couple of times and never sharpened. It's very much a laser, and I'd sell it for $200 if you're interested. I have an HD2 and a White #2 Kono laser with a custom handle, so it's a bit redundant outside of the profile. It's a about 10mm longer than those "240's".
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

What are you looking for out of a KS?

The KS is an exceptional knife but, relatively speaking, there are a lot of exceptional knives to be had out there. So what about the KS are you looking for?

The KS profile is probably its most distinctive characteristic but it is an imitation of a French Sabatier...so the most distinctive KS attribute might be more aptly described as a Sab clone.

The KS also has top rate steel and heat treat and a very, very good grind as well but there are a lot of knives that bring that to the table. The KS grind/metallurgy might be most comparable to something like the Tanaka Sekiso...but the Sekiso profile is nothing like a Sab.
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Great advice all. Even though you already have some very nice knives. When you hear about something new or different you start to think about it. And a knife isn't a huge investment compared to buying an ATV or Motorcycle. But I already have about 26 really nice knifes. And I wish I would just be content with what I have. But I might be missing something better. Crazy state of mind I will admit.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

matchplay18 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm...And I wish I would just be content with what I have. But I might be missing something better. Crazy state of mind I will admit.
Uuuhh....isn't that all of us? :?

Sell one or two you're not completely in love with and get a couple new ones, rinse and repeat. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Unsharp

Post by Unsharp »

matchplay18 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm I already have about 26 really nice knifes. And I wish I would just be content with what I have. But I might be missing something better. Crazy state of mind I will admit.
What's nice when you're in the position, you can more easily let a knife go to acquire another.
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Yeah I guess I am not the only one suffering the human condition. It's hard to think your not missing something. And to read some of these compelling story's makes it much harder. I was just thinking something better out there, doesn't it make life a little more interesting or frustrating ? All great advice
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

matchplay18 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 pm Yeah I guess I am not the only one suffering the human condition.
+1 on this
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I was happy with my collection for all of about six months a couple years ago but then that itch started again and hasn't stopped since.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

The masamotos are great knives, but they are all just near clones of old Nogent Sabatier profiles. Julia Child used them and my mom bought a number of them in the 50's. I have several of the old ones, steel is not as hard as the Japanese ones, but they can take an edge as good as almost anything. The profile was the thing though, and I have masamotos and a Richmond Ultimatum (it will be going in for thinning soon) mimic the old ones well- the profile is what I grew up with - good push cutter, and marvelous rocker.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I know that these aren't on here but to fit what I am looking for in a knife there is this American Knife maker called Mario Ignoglia. You can find him on Facebook. I bought one of his knives and for the money it is by far the best bang for your buck. His KS profile is a little larger at the heel than normal but...it fits what I like in a knife and his version is very awesome. So there is always that option. Good luck!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Isboogy I wouldn't describe the KS as a marvelous rocker, at least the one I had. I would probably flip the description to say marvelous push cutter and good/decent rocker, just my opinion.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Cutuu - you gotta remeber that I'm a complete amateur with "reasonable" knife skills. I learned with old Sabatiers my mom bought in the early to mid 50's in France - I can still do millimeter slices of carrot on the diagonal while talking to my significant other with the things - I own two masamoto KS knives and they are close but not the real thing. My ultimatum is a closer profile to the Sabs, and I am going to get it thinned to see if that helps the performance. If you have a better choice for a rocking knife made from decent steel, lemme know. I'd probably buy one on a recommendation - always searching for knives that are fun and work - my lady does not mind when I buy them either - so I just need a slight prodding. I have a bunch of chefs as close friends, and love to work" with them - some have amazing skills - mine are just trying ones, but I'm always game to learn
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

lsboogy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 pm Cutuu - you gotta remeber that I'm a complete amateur with "reasonable" knife skills. I learned with old Sabatiers my mom bought in the early to mid 50's in France - I can still do millimeter slices of carrot on the diagonal while talking to my significant other with the things - I own two masamoto KS knives and they are close but not the real thing. My ultimatum is a closer profile to the Sabs, and I am going to get it thinned to see if that helps the performance. If you have a better choice for a rocking knife made from decent steel, lemme know. I'd probably buy one on a recommendation - always searching for knives that are fun and work - my lady does not mind when I buy them either - so I just need a slight prodding. I have a bunch of chefs as close friends, and love to work" with them - some have amazing skills - mine are just trying ones, but I'm always game to learn
I’ve been tempted to pull one of the old Sabatiers of EBay just to hang in the kitchen, I think they are loaded with personality. Is there a brand that is more desirable among those knives?
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Speaking of the Masamoto KS. I’ve looked for one many times and never have found one in stock, no surprise. I have found a knife offered by Masamoto that comes in either Swedish Stainless or white, it called a MASAMOTO SHIRO-KO HONGASUMI WA-GYUTOU (Masamoto SK?). It’s looks like a KS as far as profile goes. Does anybody know what the difference is? I almost bought one in a 210 but hesitate just not knowing what is what as far Masamoto knives.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
dafox

Post by dafox »

nakneker wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:04 pm Speaking of the Masamoto KS. I’ve looked for one many times and never have found one in stock, no surprise. I have found a knife offered by Masamoto that comes in either Swedish Stainless or white, it called a MASAMOTO SHIRO-KO HONGASUMI WA-GYUTOU (Masamoto SK?). It’s looks like a KS as far as profile goes. Does anybody know what the difference is? I almost bought one in a 210 but hesitate just not knowing what is what as far Masamoto knives.
That's the real deal, won't be there long.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

nakneker wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:04 pm Speaking of the Masamoto KS. I’ve looked for one many times and never have found one in stock, no surprise. I have found a knife offered by Masamoto that comes in either Swedish Stainless or white, it called a MASAMOTO SHIRO-KO HONGASUMI WA-GYUTOU (Masamoto SK?). It’s looks like a KS as far as profile goes. Does anybody know what the difference is? I almost bought one in a 210 but hesitate just not knowing what is what as far Masamoto knives.
I had a 210 and it was great. Edge was actually around 220. I have a 240 now and it's a lot more manageable than I thought. I'm considering selling it so you might see it on BST soon. Good luck with your search!