Sharpening School Lesson 3

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

http://www.knifeplanet.net/lesson-3-knife-thinning/

The new lesson is all about thinning. I asked Jon Broida to do the video and I wrote the article. Thinning isn't easy, I hope this will help folks with the process.
Kit Craft

Re: Sharpening School Lesson 3

Post by Kit Craft »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 am http://www.knifeplanet.net/lesson-3-knife-thinning/

The new lesson is all about thinning. I asked Jon Broida to do the video and I wrote the article. Thinning isn't easy, I hope this will help folks with the process.
Thank you for the hard work. I watched and read everything. Keep them coming, please. Much appreciated!
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

Yes, no joke. I've watched all of the videos. All are incredibly helpful.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

thanks for the effort, really helpful
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you all.
datster

Post by datster »

Peter and Jon,
I've watched all three of these and yes, you have upped my game. Not only mine though, I have shared them with a private cooking group I belong to and they have been met with great response. Many of them looked at sharpening as an impossible task and even though they have a log way to go, watching your videos and gaining ground has made them thirst for more, like the rest of us crazy people that actually get therapeutic benefit from sharpening.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thanks very nice if you to say datster. Much appreciated:)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

datster wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:00 pm Peter and Jon,
I've watched all three of these and yes, you have upped my game. Not only mine though, I have shared them with a private cooking group I belong to and they have been met with great response. Many of them looked at sharpening as an impossible task and even though they have a log way to go, watching your videos and gaining ground has made them thirst for more, like the rest of us crazy people that actually get therapeutic benefit from sharpening.
I agree with all of this. I feel that at this point I know what I am doing but I feel that by watching these videos, it ups my game, as you said. I also recommend them to others and for them as well as me it leaves us craving more.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

The goal of these online lessons are simply to install, in one place, a learning environment that unfolds in a logical sequence. To take a novice sharpener to the point where he or she can start from scratch and continue on successfully because they started off on the right foot. These videos, published by Knifeplanet with the accompanying articles will come to an end at some point here as there are only a few more lessons on the radar. Jon will do the single bevel demonstration. Lesson #4 will concentrate on the two things that helped me create the sharpest knives that I personally have done. Pressure and and equalizing Time, Pressure and Angle to achieve a balance on both sides of the knife (symmetrical). I'll do this on one or two stones and maybe just one as I know many people only have one water stone to start off with.
Michaelrax

Post by Michaelrax »

Yes, these are very good lessons and Im enjoying studying it and then making a contribution in my Sabbath School class.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Hands down the best guides to sharpening knives I have ever seen. Thank you so much for your sterling work.
They changed, and continue to change, my knife life!
Aloha. Peter and Jon :D
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Nice video where we actually get to see a demonstration of terms like thinning in action.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Teaming Peter and Jon, it doesn't get any better!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Just wanted to say thank you for this lesson - I've not seen thinning discussed elsewhere at this level of detail and it clarified several things!