Feedback on Kurosaki Fujin (or Megumi ) gyuto ?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Drsmp

Feedback on Kurosaki Fujin (or Megumi ) gyuto ?

Post by Drsmp »

Hi anyone have experience with Kurosakis VG10 gyuto? I have his Shizuki R2 Gyuto and really like it , so considering trying a Fujin VG10 .
Thanks! Steve
Carter

Re: Feedback on Kurosaki Fujin (or Megumi ) gyuto ?

Post by Carter »

My own experience, and from what I have read from others, is that Kurosaki's treatment (heat) of VG10 is excellent and yields a blade that performs at a higher level than the average VG10 blade. I have a 240mm Megumi gyuto and I am just a home cook, but my knife takes a keen edge and has good retention...it is one of my SS knives that I reach for when I am working with a lot of reactive ingredients. It seems to be the SS version of my Masakage Shimo gyuto.
Drsmp

Post by Drsmp »

Hi Carter Have you heard of any issues with chipping like Shuns notorious VG10 ? Thanks, Steve
Carter

Post by Carter »

Drsmp wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 am Hi Carter Have you heard of any issues with chipping like Shuns notorious VG10 ? Thanks, Steve
None at all, I am careful in my technique (but I don't baby it or even concern myself that it might chip) and I am not cutting volumes of ingredients.
Drsmp

Post by Drsmp »

How about touch ups / sharpening ? Have you found these blades (relatively) easy to work with? Would a 6K stone be about right to finish the edge? Thanks!
Carter

Post by Carter »

It sharpens up quickly, but I never let it get too dull. After an initial sharpening, I have not gone below a 1k stone. I think finishing at 6k and a stop is plenty. I also touch up with a ceramic hone from time to time if I feel it needs a little TLC during a cutting session..
Drsmp

Post by Drsmp »

Thanks for the info Carter, you’ve been very helpful