Stones for the next gen

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
lsboogy

Stones for the next gen

Post by lsboogy »

I'm going to get my nieces and nephew some stones to sharpen knives with for Xmas this year. They all get tojiro MVS color series gyutos from me as decent first knives, along with a cutting board as graduation gifts (college) Two of my nieces are turning into great cooks and I sharpen their knives a couple times a year, and I would like to get them (and my nephew who is not as into it yet) some combination stones to allow them to sharpen things themselves and teach them how to do it at the same time. I'm not in a hurry, probably Christmas things as well as lessons ( they are out of grad/law school shortly and live on east coast - so it will be a holiday thing - take a few hours to teach them basic sharpening and cook some great food), but I think a combo stone might be a good thing for them. Anyone got any good suggestions for a young cook to sharpen with? Maybe 1K/3K or better? All of my stones are single grit things - Rick thinks a combo stone would be good for a young adult to learn on. Any advice is good
ken123

Re: Stones for the next gen

Post by ken123 »

I would be tempted to suggest an Aono Aoto - one stone spanning both 1k and 3k with a single stone. A simple parsimonious solution and a great learning experience.

---
Ken
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I think the 1/3k would be fine for those knives and that situation. Check out the cerax combos on the site as those few around here who talk about them speak highly of them. I am sure there are other options too.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

I think a combo stone would be good, but consider the Kohetsu 800's that are on sale.
That edge will be good for anything they are likely to do in the kitchen. That stone will be good for any steel in the future, will last forever, and will be useful no matter what skill level they grow to.
old onion

Post by old onion »

It was good enough for me to learn on,it should be good enough for the youngins.

:)
salemj

Post by salemj »

Yeah. Kohetsu 800 (on sale) + Shapton Pro 2k will set them for 30 years. Much better option than a combo stone for long-term. These are easy to learn on, easy to maintain, and easy to use, which cannot be said for all stones. (I have not used the Kohetsu but those stones have a good reputation and I LOVE using my 600 grit chosera + my SP 1.5 or 2k for many of my blades.) While I would normally defer to Ken, I own an Aono Aoto which I love, and I would take these over if I had to choose 100/100 times for the situation you describe, especially for those knives, but that's just me.

For shorter term or for your nephew who may only use it very occasionally, lots of people seem to love the Imanashi and/or cerax combos that Mark sells. I'd probably gravitate toward the cerax 280/1.5k for this application/those knives.

Full disclaimer: I like to sharpen and I sharpen my own fancy knives and the knives of anyone who will let me, but I am not a "sharpener" and I lack actual experience with a large variety of stones—I've only used about a dozen or so over time.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

old onion wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:17 am It was good enough for me to learn on,it should be good enough for the youngins.

:)
I'm on the opposite side of things with King stones - still have a 1K6K that I purchased from Williams Sonoma years ago - have never had a stone that I liked less. It's a personal thing, but I can't figure out how to use it. Still has the WS price tag on the box - flattened and ready to go, but I wo t use it - any takers at $50
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Kit Craft wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 am I think the 1/3k would be fine for those knives and that situation. Check out the cerax combos on the site as those few around here who talk about them speak highly of them. I am sure there are other options too.
This is the one: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ceraxcombo1k3k.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I agree with Kit & others & for me I use the Cerax 1k / 3k in my travel kit and also at home on occasions. Nice feel, soft but not too soft, doesn't wear too badly. HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I took your advice and ordered a Cerax 1K/3K stone. Sharpening lessons are being pushed up for one niece - interning in DC this fall. I also got one of the Damascus spoons (just a cool thing to have)
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Well I am now a believer in the Cerax. My niece sharpened her knife and two of her dads (my brother usually has a drawer full of very dull knives - and when he gets them sharpened they take them to the grocery store to let them get butchered - done on a belt sander with about 400 grit paper). When she had done a couple of her dads knives on the 1K side they got sharper than any other in the drawer. Niece then took her knife and did the 1K/3K treatment - thing has a pretty good edge and she now has a stone that should suffice for her until she is a bit more settled. Good choice for a first stone.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 pm Well I am now a believer in the Cerax. My niece sharpened her knife and two of her dads (my brother usually has a drawer full of very dull knives - and when he gets them sharpened they take them to the grocery store to let them get butchered - done on a belt sander with about 400 grit paper). When she had done a couple of her dads knives on the 1K side they got sharper than any other in the drawer. Niece then took her knife and did the 1K/3K treatment - thing has a pretty good edge and she now has a stone that should suffice for her until she is a bit more settled. Good choice for a first stone.
I’m a huge fan of Cerax stones. I gave gone through quite a few stones this year just playing and seeing what I like the best, still have every cerax Stones I’ve tried.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”