Kohetsu 800 on Closeout

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
gastro gnome

Kohetsu 800 on Closeout

Post by gastro gnome »

FYI, the Kohetsu 800 stones are on closeout. Mark mentioned that they have hairline cracks that he suspects will not affect use. They are talking with the manufacturer to making thinner stones, so if you are interested in the 50mm brick size this is your chance.

I recently bought a used one off of nakneker that also had a hairline crack (he fully disclosed this in the classified). He said Mark didn't think it would affect use and said he would stand by the stone if they created problems, though I wouldn't expect that to apply to me (who bought it on the secondary market) or for the discounted closeouts.

I've only used the stone a couple of times. I can't say I totally have a feel for it yet, but I am still a pretty novice sharpener. The crack is towards one end so I will just use and sharpen from the other one. It will be eons before I ever flatten this stone anywhere near the cracks.

Anyway, I just thought i would highlight this in case people hadn't seen it These stones have been much discussed.
nevrknow

Re: Kohetsu 800 on Closeout

Post by nevrknow »

Bought another one. Love these stones. And the discount? Worth it.

If the crack concerns you, laquer the sides and bottom. I have stones with slight cracks laquered. And IF it splits you just have 2 thinner stones. 😀
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Not sure I've seen a how-to on laquering. That's something to consider. As you continue to flatten and progress through the stone, is the laquered portion still fully usable (if it stays together)?
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Absolutely. I just chamfer the edges.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

gastro gnome wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 pm Not sure I've seen a how-to on laquering. That's something to consider. As you continue to flatten and progress through the stone, is the laquered portion still fully usable (if it stays together)?
Basically if you treat this like a cracked Jnat. Spray lacquer (can $10) several coats on the bottom and sides. This will somewhat hold the stone together/prevent water from expanding/contracting the cracks. Then for added insurance, epoxy to a solid base, like a cutting board.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Seems that after a few months of owning my big Kohetsu 800,I have noticed some pretty good cracks myself but they are along the sides of the stone and not on top.A few are pretty long,almost the full length.All this while being permasoaked.I am going to dry them ,the 800 and the 2000 on the rack and then later when fully dry,it looks like I'll have to lacquer them to protect my investment from crumbling apart in my hands.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

@ old onion. Your post caused me a couple of heart palpitations :? Your's is the first reference I have seen for this problem from someone who perma soaks these stones. I purchased my Kohetsu stones mid October 2016 and I perma soak them. So a very quick trip out to the garage to inspect mine. Pheeeeew!! As far as I can tell my K800 is still crack free. I can't remember exactly, but I think that I secured the last of the first batch of these stones that CKTG got in, so I don't know if this problem is maybe related to a particular batch or not. Just a wild thought here!
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
old onion

Post by old onion »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:49 pm @ old onion. Your post caused me a couple of heart palpitations :? Your's is the first reference I have seen for this problem from someone who perma soaks these stones. I purchased my Kohetsu stones mid October 2016 and I perma soak them. So a very quick trip out to the garage to inspect mine. Pheeeeew!! As far as I can tell my K800 is still crack free. I can't remember exactly, but I think that I secured the last of the first batch of these stones that CKTG got in, so I don't know if this problem is maybe related to a particular batch or not. Just a wild thought here!
Oh not to worry.It may have been caused by that black cloud that goes over the house every now and then.I just hate spending my very limited funds on something that falls apart and even after good care has been taken.Just not in my nature to be in a good mood about it.Good luck with yours.After considerable thought though,I don't think lacquering the stone is a good idea since it is a soaking stone but then I don't know if I am thinking wrong or not.Maybe I should just take a chance on it and see.If it breaks and falls apart,I can always fill in the hole in the drive way that has been bothering me. :D
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Yeah, I wondered about how lacquering would work with a perma soaked stone. I don't know much about lacquering , but had thought that it was to stop water soaking into the cracks. Maybe it's to prevent the dry, wet, dry, wet cycles, especially if there is any expansion involved that could maybe increase the cracking?? However if the stone is perma soaked it will be wet throughout.

I think the K800 was advertised as a splash & go stone (not 100% sure now??), but it seems to be pretty thirsty and I like the feel better after it's had a really good soak. If mine has gone some 20 months perma soaked with no issues, I'll risk continuing with that for now.
Cheers Grant

gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Yeah, I'm still a little foggy on what the lacquering would do. If it's to prevent water from soaking into the cracks, then it seems it wouldn't be much of a help for anything other than a splash and go stone.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 pm Yeah, I wondered about how lacquering would work with a perma soaked stone. I don't know much about lacquering , but had thought that it was to stop water soaking into the cracks. Maybe it's to prevent the dry, wet, dry, wet cycles, especially if there is any expansion involved that could maybe increase the cracking?? However if the stone is perma soaked it will be wet throughout.

I think the K800 was advertised as a splash & go stone (not 100% sure now??), but it seems to be pretty thirsty and I like the feel better after it's had a really good soak. If mine has gone some 20 months perma soaked with no issues, I'll risk continuing with that for now.
Nope,the K800 is advertised as a soaker because it requires a short soak.Some reviewers say they permasoak there's. All this makes me believe that it is not a splash and go stone.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I don’t remember seeing it called splash and go. I haven’t permasoaked mine, it usually takes just over an hour if I haven’t used it in a while or around 30 if I’ve used it recently. I haven’t noticed any cracking issues with this approach.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gastro gnome wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 pm FYI, the Kohetsu 800 stones are on closeout. Mark mentioned that they have hairline cracks that he suspects will not affect use. They are talking with the manufacturer to making thinner stones, so if you are interested in the 50mm brick size this is your chance.

I recently bought a used one off of nakneker that also had a hairline crack (he fully disclosed this in the classified). He said Mark didn't think it would affect use and said he would stand by the stone if they created problems, though I wouldn't expect that to apply to me (who bought it on the secondary market) or for the discounted closeouts.

I've only used the stone a couple of times. I can't say I totally have a feel for it yet, but I am still a pretty novice sharpener. The crack is towards one end so I will just use and sharpen from the other one. It will be eons before I ever flatten this stone anywhere near the cracks.

Anyway, I just thought i would highlight this in case people hadn't seen it These stones have been much discussed.
Great stones. The stone Gnome picked up from me should have years of service even with the crack. It flattened nicely and I watched it to see if that crack was expanding at all, never moved. Epoxy should do the trick if your worried. Good post though, it’s nice to people keep others up to date.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

@old onion & jmcnelly85 ~ yeah, I think you guys are definitely right that it's not a splash & go. Either splash & go or perma soak work well for me, but it's the 15 to 30 to 60 minute soak that drives me to drink!!! :mrgreen:
Cheers Grant

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I've been permasoaking mine kohetsus 800, 2000 since I've had them and haven't come across any issues.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:45 pm I've been permasoaking mine kohetsus 800, 2000 since I've had them and haven't come across any issues.
I think that the stones with cracks shipped that way rather than developing them over time with use.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

@Cutuu. Sort of brings me back to wondering if this is an issue for a particular batch?? Also the cracking seems to be independent of whether the stone is perma soaked or not. There's three of us on this thread who perma soak without issue and I know gladius also does this and I'm not aware from any of his posts that he has had any cracking issues either.

Interesting little conundrum :?
Cheers Grant

gladius

Post by gladius »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm @Cutuu. Sort of brings me back to wondering if this is an issue for a particular batch?? Also the cracking seems to be independent of whether the stone is perma soaked or not. There's three of us on this thread who perma soak without issue and I know gladius also does this and I'm not aware from any of his posts that he has had any cracking issues either.

Interesting little conundrum :?
---
FTR I do not perma soak any stone. The cracking is probably a result of the manufacturing process as these are not baked but air dried so dried at an uneven rate. I have not experienced any cracks and suspect if I did would not affect performance. Reducing the thickness of the stone will probably address the issue. The Kohetsu stones are excellent and a value at their price and at the close-out price are a steal.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

gladius - my apologies. When I was asking a couple of years back, what the people on the forum thought about perma soaking, prior to taking the plunge myself, I thought that you were one of the people that responded in the affirmative.

Clearly my mistake and once again my apologies. :oops:
Cheers Grant

gladius

Post by gladius »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm gladius - my apologies. When I was asking a couple of years back, what the people on the forum thought about perma soaking, prior to taking the plunge myself, I thought that you were one of the people that responded in the affirmative.

Clearly my mistake and once again my apologies. :oops:
---
No worries - it seems like this stone can be perma soaked without issue.