Possible Okeya passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
STPepper9

Re: Possible Okeya passaround

Post by STPepper9 »

Who's left on the list? Is it Lepus and then me? Anyone else?
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Just the both of you, Lepus and yourself. Here is my cell in case I don’t see any posts here. Feel free to contact me.

928-205-9244, Sean
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

So had a false start. It will go out tomorrow. Sorry guys.
-C-
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

No worries. Thanks for the update.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Lepus should be getting it Saturday.
-C-
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

cooknola wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 pm Lepus should be getting it Saturday.
I know you did not have the time you wanted for the review but was was your impressions?
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Ut_ron wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 pm
I know you did not have the time you wanted for the review but was was your impressions?
They were very pretty.

As in literally i took them out, inspected them, and then proceeded to get fu ked for a week and a half.
-C-
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

cooknola wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 am
They were very pretty.

As in literally i took them out, inspected them, and then proceeded to get fu ked for a week and a half.
😂 hopefully you’ve recovered.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Ut_ron wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:33 pm
cooknola wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 am

They were very pretty.

😂 hopefully you’ve recovered.
Ask me again in October if I can get through this popup. 😂
-C-
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Good luck, positive thoughts going your way.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

What a ride. These knives have not seen a smooth passage, and I am not the least to blame for that, but undeterred I think they're going to do just fine.

I wanted to post a few thoughts on each of these knives. It is the very least I can do. I did receive them in good working order. I sharpened and used them all. In order, I liked the 150mm petty best, then the kogatana, then the santoku, then the folder.

150mm Petty

This is... actually a really, really swell knife. I loved it. I can't help but compare it to my Mazaki petite yanagiba which I also love but is a bit rust prone. This thing is hell on wheels as a little utility knife and for small butchery. It did come to me with a bit of a bend that had led to a hole in the grind, which I bent straight to the best of my ability, and I did sharpen it fairly deeply. I did not take all of the grind error out so as not to grind too deep into the back, but given a few more deeper sharpenings it will right itself. I like this very much as a usable utility knife. I want one and I think other pros who have some experience with single bevels should also want one. I would suggest a first time buyer run the knife by someone with some experience, but even then the small surface area should make the knife reasonably easy to open.

24mm Kogatanas

These were nice, and surprisingly so. I was not sure what was being measured by the length descriptor, but these are big utility knives. They're the best knife I've seen for people interested in starting out on single bevels because they're going to be useful and I found them easy to sharpen. They would not be frustrating to own. I got to see two and one was overground, but that will rectify itself in time. I didn't consider it a huge issue.

Cody's sheaths are also quite nice. They make the knives appreciably more viable for use while on the move, though a little irregular. Copying it would be a neat afternoon project for a woodworker with a router table and band saw.

Santoku

This is where things start to go downhill. This is not an awful knife, but it is not a great knife, either. It has a pretty chunky hollow grind and very abrupt geometry, so it is not an amazing performer and never will be without serious work. The steel seemed nice, though, and the handle was outstanding for its class. It is not a horrible first Japanese knife, but considering how inexpensive some amazing knives are right now I would struggle to suggest it over a Misuzu, a Chromax, or a Makoto.

Folding knife

This was the most interesting knife to handle. I do have a sizable pocket knife collection and I would say I'm a reasonably informed buyer there, so I evaluated this knife as such. The Okeya is a backlocking folder that is 140mm long closed and 230mm long open. It has a blade that with a 61mm long cutting length. As soon as I picked it up I knew I had held its like before. In my collection I have a backlocking folder that is 127mm closed and 222mm open with an 88mm long cutting length: the Spyderco Endura.

The Endura is a startlingly close match in size and shape to this kogatana, including the swell over the backlock that is used to deploy the knife. And I am sad to report that all the rustic charm in the world will never make the Okeya anything near as good a knife as the Endura. The Endura is lighter, has the option for a clip in four positions to keep the knife easily accessible in a pocket or pouch, is much smaller in pocket, is grippier when open because of its patterned FRN handle, has a thicker and sturdier lock, can be easily deployed ambidextrously with one hand even when wearing gloves, opens much more smoothly because of oiled washers, and can be taken apart with standard torx drivers to be cleaned and oiled. The Okeya is about $30 cheaper, but if price is the object Spyderco has an offshoot brand called Byrd that sells a knife with the same dimensions as the Endura made from cheaper steel to less exacting manufacturing standards for $20 less than the Okeya- for the record that's the Cara Cara 2. I have use Byrd knives before and the fit and finish on them is not great, but it beats this Okeya.

So I don't think the Okeya is a good pocket knife, but that said I do think the blade on it is unbearably nice. It has a nice reactive core and the cladding takes a handsome contrast easily. Aesthetically and in terms of performance, the blade is worth the price of the knife itself. Mated to a more modern handle this would be amazing. I would be tempted to print or machine one if I had the capability. Fitted with an Endura-style handle I would buy one for $100, no question at all, and maybe more.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Great review Lepus, enjoyable, detailed and full,of info. Thanks again for taking sometime and tuning up those edges, I really appreciate it.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

The knives have returned home. Thanks to all of you who participated. I’m going to list the whole lot at 50% if new. If anyone of you who participated would like them you have first shot. I’ll give it till Friday and then list them on the forum if I don’t get a PM.

Thanks again, Sean