Traditional cutting with a serrated knife?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
handle333

Traditional cutting with a serrated knife?

Post by handle333 »

can some one tell me if a serrated knife can be used like a chef knife in regards to cutting tech.... like say a glide? I always thought serrated knife motion was a saw. Is it possible the serrated knife is used with the different motion than the obvious saw? seen people in videos where they use the serrated knife and not use the saw motion.....thats why i am asking.
STPepper9

Re: serrated knife

Post by STPepper9 »

The motion that you use when cutting anything will always vary depending on a multitude of factors;
The knife geometry (size, shape, style, thickness, etc..),
What product you are cutting through (literally countless varieties of textures and combinations of textures)
Sharpness of the knife can make a difference too.
Personal preference, even your own stature can make a difference in how you use a particular knife.

Any specific examples that you are referring to?
handle333

Re: Traditional cutting with a serrated knife?

Post by handle333 »

it seems every where i turn it says for serrated knife to always use a sawing motion (back and forth saw). this is through the internet when you look up serrated knife and motion used with this knife. (any where you look up knifes for basic starting up they tell you what you should get then they tell you about the knife and how it is used). but there are places, classes and video where they show a serrated knife being used as if it wasnt serrated it was used as a chef knife.. the class on line have to register for it is by CRAFTSY....and i think the teacher is a guy name dermont if i remember correctly. he uses a serrated knife to slice many things...example green peppers and when it comes to cutting up the strips into pieces (with serrated knife) he uses a glide or what he says a low cut.....no where near a back and forth saw. asked some one how they used a serrated knife they said saw back and forth like a saw......has teeth. or could do a pull. thats why its called a serrated knife......back and forth saw motion.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

generally speaking I agree with the masses on this one. - - I wouldn't use a serrated on a pepper unless I didn't have any other option - I'm willing to bet dermont's other knives are super dull.
ckreef

Post by ckreef »

This comes down to - lots of knives can do multiple tasks but is it the best knife for the job. Other than a bread knife I hate serrated knives. I could never see using a serrated knife for slicing peppers, onions etc.... And what about chopping those peppers or onions into tiny pieces?
handle333

Post by handle333 »

i did find out he uses a Wüsthof utility serrated knife (14cm) but he does clearly dice tomatoes in small pieces doing a tip on board and forward down and up knife handle and forward down that is what he calls a low cut using the serrated blade.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I usually use a long slicing motion, a long guillotine and glide, or one long forth and back with a 270 bread knife. The only thing I cut is bread or occasionally brisket. I don't know why I don't saw, I think the other motions are more familiar to my muscle memory.
jared

Post by jared »

I use the saw tech. I only use a bread knife on bread. I let the knife cut with little to no downward force or you mush the product generally. On a sandwich I saw through top downward push through rest and then pull out straight back with a little quickness. But I use a shun 8in sandwich knife on most my sandwich cutting needs and it has the wave serrated edge. While my bread knife is a Richmond 270 bread knife with more traditional serrated teeth which I like especially for sourdough or crusty breads
salemj

Post by salemj »

I think I've used a "scallop" serrated knife without a sawing motion once, when using it as a slicer for meat. In that case, I did use a long drawing motion, but that is distinct from a sawing motion. Scallop serrations are of course more delicate and glide more smoothly than the traditional style of serration, so they tend to work better with different techniques.

Still, the idea that one would use a serrated knife for precision cuts on most foods is crazy. In the vast majority of cases they are more dull AND thicker at the edge, which means they tear up things like tomatoes (or meat) in comparison to a sharp knife (despite all of the serrated tomato knives on the market...grrrr). Furthermore, since they (by design) have much less contact with the board along the edge, they are stupid to use for any kind of chopping application—it would be like trying to cut someone's hair with only thinning shears. What a headache!

That isn't to say they don't have their place OR a multitude of applications with various foods. It is only to say that there are very obvious physical limitations to what they are "better at" than other knives, as well as what kinds of techniques one case use with them to cut effectively and efficiently.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Michaelrax

Traditional cutting with a serrated knife

Post by Michaelrax »

This knife is marked Cattaraugus 2250. 6" blade. I dont ever remember seeing a left handed sheath before. Comments on this knife and sheath please? Thanks.