Stone Care and Drying Time

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ryanbs

Stone Care and Drying Time

Post by ryanbs »

I own a kohetsu 800-2k and will probably invest in a cerax 320. How long does it take for these stones to dry? Can i place them in direct sun (100s here in central cali) or is that a no-no? What about in the winter? Can they be placed in a hot oven to dry? In general, how should these stones be cared for?
ken123

Re: Stone Care and Drying Time

Post by ken123 »

No direct sunlight or ovens. Air dry at room temp.
---
Ken
ryanbs

Post by ryanbs »

ken123 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm No direct sunlight or ovens. Air dry at room temp.
---
Ken
So how many days does it take for you to dry stones in August and.. January? What if i wrap the stones up in paper towels, can they go outside then?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Put them on a cookie sheet with a wire rack under them
let them sit 24-48 hours room temp.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’ve heard stories of people getting cracking problems using the towel method with different stones. Big +1 to the rack and sheet.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I also read recommendations on wrapping a damp towel around the stones so they dry more evenly and slower which might keep them from doing the hairline crack thing. I started using a damp micro fiber tower to wrap around my stones since my Choseras cracked.Hope it helps.We'll see but yes,definitely no oven or sun light.
old onion

Post by old onion »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:36 pm I’ve heard stories of people getting cracking problems using the towel method with different stones. Big +1 to the rack and sheet.
jm,
I must have been writing my reply right before you sent yours so I am beside myself here.I heard different then you about the wet towels.In fact Jon at JKI recommends that practice with some of the stones they sell.
zizirex

Post by zizirex »

I think humidity matter's in air drying your stone. My Arashiyama cracked and split into 2 pieces after I used it as a Splash and Go during winter. When i was still in Indonesia, I don't have any problem with that because it dries very slowly with 85%++ humidity. I think during winter or dry season, it is better to use towel method.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I've always just air dried my stones on a wire rack. Never had a stone crack in 30+ years. And in Minnesota we get humidity (highest continental US dew point ever recorded was here) and it gets darn dry when them outside temp is 30 below.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm And in Minnesota we get humidity (highest continental US dew point ever recorded was here) and it gets darn dry when them outside temp is 30 below.
And you still live there 🤔

Ah don’t forget those small blood sucking birds, I think you call them mosquitoes 😂
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Born here, grew up here, lived in Montana and a bit in Chicago and NYC, but I like it here. And I'm one of the few lucky ones - not allergic to mosquitos so they don't make me itch. Might retire to the Bay Area though - we love it down there.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I wash and put all my stuff in a collapsible lid holder and leave overnight to dry. My stones are splash-n-go, soakers will take at least a couple days to dry out completely. There is always the exception but stones cracking is rarely an issue. Drying in the sun or oven is definitely a big no no.

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

ryanbs wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:30 pm
ken123 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm No direct sunlight or ovens. Air dry at room temp.
---
Ken
So how many days does it take for you to dry stones in August and.. January? What if i wrap the stones up in paper towels, can they go outside then?
Drying times vary from stone to stone. Some stones that appear dry will STILL ruin a cardboard box from latent amounts of humidity. 'Soakers' dry slowly. And if not completely dry will mold up. Paper towels on a wet stone left outside is a very bad idea.

---
Ken
ryanbs

Post by ryanbs »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im coming up on 24 hours drying and they're feeling much better than the 12 hour mark.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Kohetsu's can take a couple days to be dry. I wait at least 48 hours before putting back in boxes.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I've had a few soakers mold up on me and it was not pretty - I had to take off a considerable amount of the stone to get rid of the mold. I air dry now with a rack that allows circulation. Also I have almost given up totally on using soaker stones in favor of splash and go and just got started on naturals.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Is this an issue with naniwa stones if I use them as splash and go? I got great edges without soaking them at all.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

raleighcook15 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:53 pm Is this an issue with naniwa stones if I use them as splash and go? I got great edges without soaking them at all.
No it's not. The don't need to be soaked and should dry in 8-12 hours.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
kjpfo287

Post by kjpfo287 »

I always dry my stones for a day or two before using them again when I was back east had mildew issues all the time now I am in WA and much dryer ....just saying climate can play a factor on stones that need a good soaking