Steels picky with specific grits.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
gladius

Re: Steels picky with specific grits.

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:19 pm I agree, it does a good job on Euro stainless, but not any better than my SP2k. I have several Victorinox knives and my SP2k does as good or better job on them as the GB. As before, I'm not saying it's a bad stone, I just don't understand the mythical magnificence about the stone. To me it's just a BIG mediocre stone, a nice budget buy.
—-
Better is a relative and preferential term...both stones produce good edges on soft steel but I prefer the GB edge, it produces a finer finished edge blending lower grit scratches. The Shapton though is more versatile as it can be used on a variety of steels and is a truer 2k with consistent grit.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gladius wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:18 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:19 pm I agree, it does a good job on Euro stainless, but not any better than my SP2k. I have several Victorinox knives and my SP2k does as good or better job on them as the GB. As before, I'm not saying it's a bad stone, I just don't understand the mythical magnificence about the stone. To me it's just a BIG mediocre stone, a nice budget buy.
—-
Better is a relative and preferential term...both stones produce good edges on soft steel but I prefer the GB edge, it produces a finer finished edge blending lower grit scratches. The Shapton though is more versatile as it can be used on a variety of steels and is a truer 2k with consistent grit.
You prefer the GB edge better, I prefer the SP, yes it's all subjective. Again, as I said above, it's not a bad stone, I still don't understand the legendary hype.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I tried the green brick, it wasn’t even a love/hate relationship for me, there was no love. I probably didn’t try it on but a couple steels and looking back maybe a I should have. Today I tuned up four knives with a SP1k, Chosera 3k, arashiyama 6k and ended with a couple strokes on an Ohira Tamae and a kangaroo strop. It’s becomes one of my favorite line ups. I guess that’s the fun though, so many stones, so many knives makes for a lot of fun.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Ehh I like it and am always able to get good results. I have used it on all steels and always get about the same results. It is a good budget friendly stone. It changes a little bit the more you use it. So hope this helps some.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I didn't care for the go at first, but I have come to really like it. My 2 cents is it seems to finish at a higher level than other 2ks I tried. So it works great as a final finisher on softer stainless. For some other steels I use it as a secondary 2k, which seems odd but whatever. I'm still actually playing with it to figure it out more. But it's definitely my go to on softer stainless like cck cleaver.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I didn't care for the gb at first, but I have come to really like it. My 2 cents is it seems to finish at a higher level than other 2ks I tried but also a slower cutter. And I use it as a splash and go.
It works great as a final finisher on softer stainless. For some other steels I use it as a secondary 2k, which seems odd but whatever. I'm still actually playing with it to figure it out more. But it's definitely my go to on softer stainless like cck cleaver. For example people seem to really like the kohetsus 2k, which I do like also, but I think the gb works better as a finisher in my small sample size, especially concerning softer stainless. But I suspect other steels might have me thinking the same thing, at least some.
mlb1988

Post by mlb1988 »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm The Green Brick of...meh. I just don't get it. I've bought one on two different occasions trying to figure it out but I just don't get the hype, sold both of them. I figure it has to be me has because of the cult following it has. It's not a bad stone but give me a SP2k over the Brick anyday.
I dont either. I have read that it's not just an ordinary stone that stays at 2k grit. When wet, and no mud, its 1k grit, when produced a bit of a mud, its 2k-3k grits, then as mud produces muddier, and let it dried and damp a bit, itll produced 5k like finish upon light strokes. I tend to like stones like that but I cannot take my chances with that stone since I may not like it once I find that it doesnt have the flexibility for all steels except lower HRC stainless.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The green brick, the [synthetic] aoto toishi, the green brick of joy, etc....

What do I like about it? Price for one. And two. A big stone that Mark sells for a very low price. That's hard to beat for most folks looking for a stone. It sells for more elsewhere, so it is a 'good deal'. Are there other stones I like more if price was no object. Definitely. There is the 2k Nubatama 'Olive brick of joy. Excellent stone in most every respect, softer and more versatile than the GB. But on price ... the GB wins for most. The 2k bamboo? Pricey, superb stone for carbon steels etc. A rare treat to use. The 2k speckled ume - excellent harder stone, good for both knives and razors too.. Great edges on most steels. A slight bit more than the GB. 2k Platinum - one of my favorites - works on a wide variety of steels, especially the abrasion resistant ones. And, in this range the various Aoto and Monzen Japanese natural stones give an edge that exceeds the synthetic 2ks in most instances. Binsui and Igarashi are also alternatives. For splash and go - Shapton pro and glass. For strops (go and go - no splashing required) - 8 micron CBN or poly, especially on the abrasion resistant steels.

So, purely in terms of money spent for a stone the 2k gb is tough to beat even though there are other choices.

---
Ken