This is a shun killer

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Rufus Leaking

Re: This is a shun killer

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Ouch! Hit a nerve. Completed a degree recently, aced English 101. I'm on a cell phone. I stand by my rant. Got off course, but the jist of my missive addresses the root source of the Shun Hate, I think, and that is the fact that Shuns are advertised pretty heavily, and it's hipsterish to reject that. As far as Sony goes, I'm well versed in the history of digital recording. I have probably owned 20 CD players, and I actually prefer the Phillips transports.All of mine were made in Japan. Phillips and Sony have had an agreement since the '70s, and Phillips did the conceptual work, while Sony put out the first players. Look at any album liner and you see Sony Recording" all the time, but you never see "Phillips Recording". Shun knives, the Kramers, Miyabi, et al are visually inviting, but I'd rather support the esoteric market. Sorry for pissing you off, I respect your opinion and I think the cultural differences between our locations make this interesting. I would expect our opinions here to be polarized, but in the other direction, if anything. The coca-cola ad WAS the most successful ad ever run. It was an iconoclast. It broke the mold. Wish I was there- sounds like you live in paradise.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Rufus, the only thing you hit was my off button.
Aloha!

I'm going for a swim :D
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

I stubbled across this post and all I'll say in regards to my experience with Shuns are they work and some pros love them. They definitely have a following and I work with a guy who has used the hell out of his for years as his only knife really.

It's definitely a knife that benefits from a full resharpen once you buy it. I worked for a chef who had a whole kit of shun knifes and new out of box they were chippy but once I took them though a whole progression they held a good/fine/stable edge and he still loves his.

Me? I tried em years ago and quicky switched back to a carbon cleaver and an old sab that was a gift.
I always liked tuning them up but it just wasn't my thing.....just like global.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Global touches a nerve - I hate the, but my better half has some and uses them on a regular basis. She is left handed, and has a good number of knives asymmetrically sharpened (by your truly). I can’t stand the handles, but she loves them - I introduced her to my stuff 7 years ago when we met, and she has a good number of high end knives, but she loves her globals - much more than I like my shuns. Neither will touch a good nenohi, but let those who like their knives be - we are all living in the same world - if a given knife makes you tingle, use it. I’m having a blast with my ultimatum, and will start using my kono more soon. Shuns are great for some - let everyone be happy with what they have
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I remember being excited when I first bought my Victorinoxes...that I still have. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 pm I remember being excited when I first bought my Victorinoxes...that I still have. ;)
Nice - we all started somewhere - I still love my old Sabs - relatively soft carbon steel that takes a great edge and has the profile I learned on - never give them up
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Yeah, right, Ray... Whatever... the fact that you went back and edited your earlier reply to my opinion speaks otherwise. I know what you posted earlier, and it’s gone. Replaced with something much more benign. You shouldn’t be a moderator here if that’s how you choose to comport yourself. Throw shade and then delete it? Sad....Be a man.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I had a Shun Premier for about 20 minutes before deciding it was a little too flashy for me. I had my heart set on a miyabi birchwood after that until I tried one. Seemed like a nice enough blade but that D handle just didn’t feel right in my left hand. The shuns/miyabis I tried weren’t for me but not for any real quality or philosophical reasons. I don’t really get all the hate certain brands get. It’s the same for cars, smartphones, knives, guitars, etc, etc. People invest a lot of energy into hating things they don’t use and fighting with strangers on the internet about it. I’ve never been able to wrap my head around that. Anyhow, the knife in the OP looks pretty solid. I’d probably try one if I had space left in the block...
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi guys, I went away for the weekend! Let's take this down a notch and keep to the no drama rule. We're talking about kitchen knives after all...
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Understood. All my texts are unedited. Your moderator, however deleted more than one dig aimed at a total stranger. I took the high road here initially, but noticed the guy deleted his text, then simply got pissyin a subsequent post.You’re not seeing his earlier text. This is indeed a forum dedicated to knives. My text was an attempt to point out why a heavily advertised product-Shun knives- are poorly received. I got off track. I was completely sober, but I rambled. More than one guy didn’t care for it, and that’s OK. I did not expect the spirit of the reply that was deleted. I think I was somewhat apologetic. I’m good, but I’m not too sure about the other guy. I won’t engage him in the future, if I post at all. This is simply childish. I’ve got bigger things to worry about. I enjoy this forum. I find it to be informative, and the idea that no one cares to hear my opinion is something I’ve never lost sight of.