Custom Regrind of Edge

Chris Meikrantz (cjmeik) lives in Augusta, GA and does Knife Improvements - Specializing in kitchen cutlery, using traditional techniques. Makeitsharper@gmail.com

https://www.instagram.com/makeitsharper/

Moderator: cjmeik

RonAZ

Custom Regrind of Edge

Post by RonAZ »

Wanted to give Chris some kudos for the edge regrind he did on my Richmond Ultimatum. I've always loved the profile of the Ultimatum, it's basically identical to the Masamoto KS profile, but the grind was for durability not performance. I started the thinning process but decided to go to Chris based on a recommendation from Bensbites. It was a great decision, I can do basic thinning but the edge work from Chris is exceptional and far beyond my abilities. The outstanding handle is by Bensbites and between the two of them they have upgraded it to one of my premier knives for both performance and looks. Upon receiving it I ran it through several tests (tomatoes, onions. carrots and potatoes) doing side by side comparisons with some of my other knives: Konosuke HD Gyuto, Kato (Yoshiaki Fujiwara) Gyuto and Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto. To my surprise it held it's own with the other knives, especially with cutting performance and was close on food release. Highly recommend both Ben and Chris.
Ron
DSC_0774.JPG
DSC_0773.JPG
DSC_0776.JPG
cjmeik

Re: Custom Regrind of Edge

Post by cjmeik »

Wow, thanks very much, Ron! Pretty fancy company that knife is keeping. Glad it's holding its own.

Here is a before an after choil shot for those interested.

As is typical though, the choil shot doesn't tell the whole story. The "before" shot doesn't look that bad but it was literaly shooting carrots across the board. I took the grind from about 3/8 of the way up the blade face to about 3/4:

Also, this knife has a crazy thin tip. The kind that slips under the the first layer of finger skin without being felt. Here it is next to a KS (on right) for reference:

Thanks for the opportunity to give new life to this awesome blade, Ron!