Young Samurai

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
J david

Re: Young Samurai

Post by J david »

I got mine😁
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Yikes missed the email this morning - I think I got the last 270 :D
jobone

Post by jobone »

Purchased an extra 270 for a friend. Turns out he got a 270 yanagi two days ago. I’ll put it up in the classified next week.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I told my friend Ogawa San about how fast these sold and he was thrilled. I ordered some more and he wrote this back. FYI "Wakamusya" means "Young Samaurai" in Japanese.

Mark san,

Its great news and am pleased to inform you, maybe able to engrave on Wakamusya series by hand, who are trained engraving. She is also young and newbie of our company, so its proceeded to perfectly young samuai made.

Of course, handle setting is also by her.

Ogawa.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:36 pm
STPepper9 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:37 am Any chance they'll be practicing lefty versions?
In the near term and on this project no. I’ll ask them for sure if we have some success with the right 270s.
Were the first batch of right 270’s successful enough to try some lefties in the next batch? I’d definitely be interested
J david

Post by J david »

I just recieved my samurai and gave it a quick look over. The ura is very well done. It has a microbevel that I will have to grind out but overall, this is a well finished knife. I've had other yanigiba that cost much more with less consistent grind. The front end of the blade road is ground slightly convex and the back half is slightly concave. It is slight enough that when it comes time to fix it, it will go quickly on the stones. I am, so far, very happy with this purchase. Thanks for putting this together Mark.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

I gave mine a nice sharpening on a 5000 grit and this knife sliced through salmon like butter, better for this task than any of my other knives. I'm happy!
slobound

Post by slobound »

Man, now I wish I grabbed one of these.
-- Garrick
Cashn

Post by Cashn »

Just pulled mine out, heel is missing about 2mm in height compared to below the kanji. $100 yanagi, what do you expect?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Got my 240 today.

Lovely thing, this is.
Wife took it in hand, looked at it this way and that, and said "I love how the core is bright, and the other part is so cloudy"
Me beaming :mrgreen:
IMG_20180513_162622410.jpg
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ghost1234

Post by ghost1234 »

Got mine, didnt use it yet, but the little slot where the tang enters the knife, i forgot what its calles but the little thingy on right side is kinda sharp, best way to grind it off?
Attachments
20180831_215703.jpg
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:49 am I told my friend Ogawa San about how fast these sold and he was thrilled. I ordered some more and he wrote this back. FYI "Wakamusya" means "Young Samaurai" in Japanese.

Mark san,

Its great news and am pleased to inform you, maybe able to engrave on Wakamusya series by hand, who are trained engraving. She is also young and newbie of our company, so its proceeded to perfectly young samuai made.

Of course, handle setting is also by her.

Ogawa.
Yeah, these went really fast. I got on a break at work and saw that they had already came and gone. I'd love to get a 270 if more are coming in. Will they be the same great price?
jason

Post by jason »

Been lying low lately but managed to bag a 270mm which should be arriving on Monday. Looking forward to see it in the flesh!
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

ghost1234 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:52 pm Got mine, didnt use it yet, but the little slot where the tang enters the knife, i forgot what its calles but the little thingy on right side is kinda sharp, best way to grind it off?
You could use a file, the side of your stone or some sandpaper to dull that point.

Also it helps to keep the knife from steering if you put your index finger on top of the spine instead of wrapping it around the ferrule.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ghost1234

Post by ghost1234 »

Thanks Mark, just making sure wouldn't want to accidentally slice myself open randomly while using the knife. Can't wait to use it.
Changy915

Post by Changy915 »

Any chance of them making 300s in the future?
Dawgfish

Post by Dawgfish »

I have been acquiring some knives and this is my first single bevel. My question is when sharpening, it seems like the frosted portion at the area of the bevel away from the edge will be removed? It seems more etched rather than formed with coarser grit stones. Thanks and looking forward to my first single bevel!
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

My 270showed up today - great shipping as usual.

This is my first single bevel knife - looks very nice 👍
Outback sharpness is not good so time to look up sharpening single bevel blades. I know it’s primarily sharpened on the front side.
Probably should search and post in sharpening section on what stones to start with - have Shapton Pro 2k and 5k as well as A nubatama 2k (have corser as well but don’t see a need to go there).

Look forward to learning to sharpen and use this.
Paul
Pirendeus

Post by Pirendeus »

This is a really cool idea---its great to support young knife makers keep the tradition alive. I'll definitely look forward to the next knives that are put up for sale.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo