11 tips to be a better cook (if it fits)

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
rootbeersoup

Re: 11 tips to be a better cook (if it fits)

Post by rootbeersoup »

Nmiller21k wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:25 pm I don't Allow EVOO into the kitchen unless it's from
https://www.freshpressedoliveoil.com

This is one of the most faked and ripped off food groups in America
And none of the major brands come close to real.

EVOO isn't for cooking it's a finishing oil
Smoke point is too low to cook with and once you get good stuff you won't want to waste it.
I agree with this sentiment completely. The type of fat rarely contributes to the flavor more than the method of cooking. I've had excellent duck confit that was cooked in frying oil instead of duck fat. I think it's silly to use expensive oils for everything.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Nmiller21k wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:25 pm I don't Allow EVOO into the kitchen unless it's from
https://www.freshpressedoliveoil.com

This is one of the most faked and ripped off food groups in America
And none of the major brands come close to real.

EVOO isn't for cooking it's a finishing oil
Smoke point is too low to cook with and once you get good stuff you won't want to waste it.
That's some expensive oil
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Because it's real quality olive oil
There's one semi decent brand available US wide
However compared to Fresh Pressed it's crap
gladius

Post by gladius »

keithmarder wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:46 pm That's some expensive oil
---
It is, I am sure it is good but there are top quality oils available for a more reasonable price.

https://shop.bestoliveoils.com
Naples09

Post by Naples09 »

We picked up olive oil in Italy last year and it's much higher quality than what can be bought in the US. We can re-order from the owner at anytime - but it takes a few weeks to arrive.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Naples09 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 pm We picked up olive oil in Italy last year and it's much higher quality than what can be bought in the US. We can re-order from the owner at anytime - but it takes a few weeks to arrive.
Link?
Naples09

Post by Naples09 »

No link. We have the personal email addresses from our visit to the family winery. All the places we visited are small family run operations we no website.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

Pretty sure this thread was started by a bot, but I didn't see anybody note the correct reason not to salt water until it is boiling - salt in cold water can cause pitting in your pan.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

marlinspike wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 am Pretty sure this thread was started by a bot, but I didn't see anybody note the correct reason not to salt water until it is boiling - salt in cold water can cause pitting in your pan.
I have been putting salt in water before it boils for decades and have never had a pan pit.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I read that its only undissolved salt crystals that may cause pits, so you just give the salt a few swishes to dissolve it first.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

You have to add around 100 grams (quarter pound) of salt to 1 litre of water to increase its boiling point just 1 degree Celsius (almost 2 F). Salt should never be added to influence the temperature of water.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:51 pm
marlinspike wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 am Pretty sure this thread was started by a bot, but I didn't see anybody note the correct reason not to salt water until it is boiling - salt in cold water can cause pitting in your pan.
I have been putting salt in water before it boils for decades and have never had a pan pit.
My pans pit if I added salt prior to boiling or ingredients. Swishing did not seem to help.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

What kind of pans are you all using?.... :?
I've alway used stainless and never had that problem. Maybe I need to check my pans better. :geek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

You'll notice that every maker of stainless cookware excludes damage from salt pitting from their warranty coverage. It really doesn't matter what make of pan it is, as long as the pan was made with chromium in the stainless steel, it can happen, but in order to happen at the same time as the salt is in the non-boiling water you must also scrape the layer of chromium oxide that forms naturally (like with a utensil), and you can get pitting in the scrape. So, yes, it requires a perfect storm, but it can happen and is easy to avoid by simply waiting.
n64bomb

Post by n64bomb »

Clean as you go

Towel protein right before you cook it to remove any moisture

Make sure protein sits after cooking to redistribute juices.
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

I would not ever "cook" with olive oil. I find more saturated/dense fats/oils ideal for cooking and baking.

Regarding salted water:

"...You would have to add 58 grams of salt just to raise the boiling point of a liter of water by one half of a degree Celsius. Basically, the amount of salt people add to water for cooking doesn't affect the boiling point at all.

Why does salt affect boiling point? Salt is sodium chloride, which is an ionic compound that breaks apart into its component ions in water. The ions floating around in the water alter how the molecules interact with each other. The effect isn't restricted to salt. Adding any other compound to water (or any liquid) increases its boiling point.

Salt in Water Safety Tip
If you add salt to water, be sure to add it before boiling the water. Adding salt to water that is already boiling may cause the water to splash up and boil more vigorously for a few seconds...."
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Olive Oil is made fresh locally at several olive orchards around our region. The farmer in our city brings his oils to the farmers market every week. I have a 50 year old olive tree that just drives me crazy dropping olives on my back deck and patio all winter long - nope I'm too lazy to do anything with them except sweep them onto the lawn for the birds. I do however buy local olive oil.
mfishsauce

Post by mfishsauce »

ken123 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:58 am I think one of the most important things that go towards making one a better cook / chef is the willingness to try new foods. If the foods you eat are narrow, so are your horizons for making good recipes.

Try all kinds of veggies, even tofu, kale etc as well as liver, oysters clams raw fish etc etc. Even tripe. You might pass on various insects, eating pets and primates etc ... We all have our limits.

---
Ken
+1 Wholeheartedly agree!
Martin

Post by Martin »

thanks for the advice
Martin

Post by Martin »

thanks for the advice