Sous Vide recipes

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
arthurfowler

Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler »

Hi all

I have just bought a vacuum chamber for home use. I want it mainly for helping freeze fresh fish portions after breaking down whole fish at home.

When I was a chef, I missed the whole sous vide approach. I am going to get myself a circulator to allow me to try some sous vide cooking.

I am really keen on understanding what sous vide recipes/techniques you think work better than the traditional version. I understand consistency is a real benefit of sous vide cooking but I also know that I prefer a properly pan roasted scallop over one cooked sous vide and then blow torched etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best

Gareth
Bensbites

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by Bensbites »

I like SV for lean proteins, mainly chicken breast and pork. Some people like to take brisket for a 72 hr bath at 134 F then sear.

As far as recipes, marinate or rub down your food as you normally would.
easilver

Post by easilver »

I find that the sous vide is best for tenderizing red-meat and cooking foods that dry-out if overcooked.

Chicken breast work great, but thighs don't improve much to me.

Thick steaks come out perfectly done and tender as you want. I like tender texture of new york steaks. My son liked ribeye, but I don't think the sous vide renders the fat enough.

Bensbites is right about the Brisket. I have a prime brisket in the sous vide right now for 60hrs at 135F. This one will have an onion gravy for a family dinner, but I've made some juicy and tender BBQ brisket with the sous vide that I love.

Pork shoulder also does very well.

I've had bad luck with over-seasoning in the sous vide since they can overwhelm the meat flavor. I usually do salt and pepper to let the meat flavor shine.

Have fun and post your results.
Ed in L.A.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

+1 on the ribeye. It comes out a little weird. Maybe a super thick one would work better followed by some time on the grill to render the fat properly.

Regular old chicken breasts come out fantastic every time. Can’t screw it up.

I haven’t tried a long cook yet like a tritip or something but that’s next on my list.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Right there with you guys.
I mainly do red meats, pork, sometimes chicken. Never fish!
Thick cut Pork and Steaks are the best I've ever made.
Also love the long slow stuff like briskets.
Only ever use salt and pepper. Leave the seasoning to the end when I flash fry to brown. I never use a torch!

Here is a pretty great Turkey Porchetta that I do often......thanks to J. Kenji!
https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the ... hetta.html

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Down load the Joule app. The app is loaded with recipes. It’s also loaded with cook times and temps for most every protein you could imagine, small, large thick, thin, beef, chicken, pork.... whatever. There is a wealth of helpful info even for the seasoned Sous Vide cook.

My partner uses his weekly and of course I had to try one. It’s produced my best steaks and prime rib and it’s sinfully easy to do. I haven’t realy played with chicken or pork, I’m with Ray, fish would be tricky.

The Joule app has my biggest help.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Bensbites wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am I like SV for lean proteins, mainly chicken breast and pork. Some people like to take brisket for a 72 hr bath at 134 F then sear.

Thanks Ben, this makes a lot of sense. I can see something like Pork fillet being much better as there is no fat on it.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

easilver wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 am I find that the sous vide is best for tenderizing red-meat and cooking foods that dry-out if overcooked.

Chicken breast work great, but thighs don't improve much to me.

Thick steaks come out perfectly done and tender as you want. I like tender texture of new york steaks. My son liked ribeye, but I don't think the sous vide renders the fat enough.

Bensbites is right about the Brisket. I have a prime brisket in the sous vide right now for 60hrs at 135F. This one will have an onion gravy for a family dinner, but I've made some juicy and tender BBQ brisket with the sous vide that I love.

Pork shoulder also does very well.

I've had bad luck with over-seasoning in the sous vide since they can overwhelm the meat flavor. I usually do salt and pepper to let the meat flavor shine.

Have fun and post your results.
Thanks Ed, will do. The brisket sounds great.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am +1 on the ribeye. It comes out a little weird. Maybe a super thick one would work better followed by some time on the grill to render the fat properly.

Regular old chicken breasts come out fantastic every time. Can’t screw it up.

I haven’t tried a long cook yet like a tritip or something but that’s next on my list.
Thanks Bluenoser.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

mauichef wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:07 pm Right there with you guys.
I mainly do red meats, pork, sometimes chicken. Never fish!
Thick cut Pork and Steaks are the best I've ever made.
Also love the long slow stuff like briskets.
Only ever use salt and pepper. Leave the seasoning to the end when I flash fry to brown. I never use a torch!

Here is a pretty great Turkey Porchetta that I do often......thanks to J. Kenji!
https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the ... hetta.html

Thanks Ray, will definitely give the Turkey Porchetta a go.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

arthurfowler wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Bensbites wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am I like SV for lean proteins, mainly chicken breast and pork. Some people like to take brisket for a 72 hr bath at 134 F then sear.

Thanks Ben, this makes a lot of sense. I can see something like Pork fillet being much better as there is no fat on it.
I think you are referring to connective tissue not fat, right?
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

nakneker wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 pm Down load the Joule app. The app is loaded with recipes. It’s also loaded with cook times and temps for most every protein you could imagine, small, large thick, thin, beef, chicken, pork.... whatever. There is a wealth of helpful info even for the seasoned Sous Vide cook.

My partner uses his weekly and of course I had to try one. It’s produced my best steaks and prime rib and it’s sinfully easy to do. I haven’t realy played with chicken or pork, I’m with Ray, fish would be tricky.

The Joule app has my biggest help.
Thanks Sean, I will download the app.
athel

Post by athel »

I find that sous vide is actually great for long braises and such--pastrami, duck confit, short ribs, etc. You can play around with things like texture and temperature in a way you can't with regular braising, although sometimes it takes me a few tries to get the timing and temperature dialed in correctly for a given meat.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks Athel. Completely agree that the temperature variables are reduced/removed with sous vide.

I haven’t used it too much as I have been busy, but I tried chicken breast and a sirloin steak. With the steak, I cooked it to medium rare as per the settings on the Anova but I think I seared it too long so it was a bit over medium rare and the cooking had penetrated the meat more if that makes sense. The chicken was more interesting. I can cook a perfectly cooked chicken breast every time at home in the traditional sense but I must say that I did like the slightly different texture of the sous vide chicken. Normally I would place the chicken breast skin side down in a hot pan(not smoking) with a little oil and a generous amount of butter and something like thyme or rosemary and leave for a minute or 2 and then transfer the pan with the chicken breast still skin side down to the oven and leave it until the flesh on top turns opaque and then turn it over baste it and leave it until it is just cooked. Rest and serve. The skin is beautifully crisp and the flesh is just cooked but the texture is definitely different with the sous vide.

The only difference on both for me so far is the different crust/skin that you get with traditional pan frying/roasting rather than a quick sear. I clearly need to practice and experiment this much more but I need to work out whether the outside crust or internal texture gives me more eating pleasure.

I also think I vacc’d the meat too tightly as well as it slightly influenced the shape. I was always taught that the shape it goes in the pan is the shape it will come out!!! Need to apply this now albeit in a different way.

I think as with all cooking, you need to balance modern and classical techniques to maximise flavour.

I am really looking forward to trying more dishes out. I think a long braise has to be next especially as the temperature is starting to drop in the UK now.

Thanks again everyone.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I love my Joule and the app is great. Chefsteps.com is a great resource for sous vide. I tried this one and it's some of the best fried chicken I've made at home.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/ca ... ed-chicken
athel

Post by athel »

arthurfowler wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 am Thanks Athel. Completely agree that the temperature variables are reduced/removed with sous vide.

I haven’t used it too much as I have been busy, but I tried chicken breast and a sirloin steak. With the steak, I cooked it to medium rare as per the settings on the Anova but I think I seared it too long so it was a bit over medium rare and the cooking had penetrated the meat more if that makes sense. The chicken was more interesting. I can cook a perfectly cooked chicken breast every time at home in the traditional sense but I must say that I did like the slightly different texture of the sous vide chicken. Normally I would place the chicken breast skin side down in a hot pan(not smoking) with a little oil and a generous amount of butter and something like thyme or rosemary and leave for a minute or 2 and then transfer the pan with the chicken breast still skin side down to the oven and leave it until the flesh on top turns opaque and then turn it over baste it and leave it until it is just cooked. Rest and serve. The skin is beautifully crisp and the flesh is just cooked but the texture is definitely different with the sous vide.

The only difference on both for me so far is the different crust/skin that you get with traditional pan frying/roasting rather than a quick sear. I clearly need to practice and experiment this much more but I need to work out whether the outside crust or internal texture gives me more eating pleasure.

I also think I vacc’d the meat too tightly as well as it slightly influenced the shape. I was always taught that the shape it goes in the pan is the shape it will come out!!! Need to apply this now albeit in a different way.

I think as with all cooking, you need to balance modern and classical techniques to maximise flavour.

I am really looking forward to trying more dishes out. I think a long braise has to be next especially as the temperature is starting to drop in the UK now.

Thanks again everyone.
Yeah, I've definitely experienced those things you've mentioned, and nailing down the sear post-water bath took me some time. One thing to note for chicken though, is that the skin is naturally insulating, so you can spend a little longer crisping it up without overcooking the meat (as opposed to something like a steak). That technique you described--oil, butter, 1-2 minutes searing time--would be perfect post-sous vide, I would think.

In terms of the vacuum seal, I oftentimes just use ziploc bags (or unsealed vacuum bags) and the water displacement method for things like chicken breasts and steaks, which won't influence the shape of the protein. I generally only break out the vacuum sealer for veggies and braises--things where you're either cooking for a long time/high temps, or when you actually want to use the compression of the vacuum seal to increase flavor and color, and prevent floating.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Just because Thanksgiving is coming....

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/ ... urkey.html

Michael Voltaggio's sous vide turkey. Not sure if I would like the dark meat as much as the breast with this method, but the part that intrigues me is that he does the sous vide with the turkey, aromatics, and duck fat. Duck fat always intrigues me... He finishes with a deep fry of the drumsticks and breasts, and a sear of the thighs. Again, just because it is Thanksgiving.... And because the recipe says the turkey can be made f days in advance.

I have pretty much settled on sous vide for lower fat proteins. It's my go-to for pork tenderloins. Just used it for cooking some artisan sausage, which I finished with a brief moment on the cast iron pan. I liked the texture better than cooking completely in a skillet, more refined.

I agree with other posters about being careful with seasonings. Years ago I was at a food equipment show in Europe. KitchenAid had wall units for sous vide and a chef compared different methods using the same ingredients--chicken breasts, lemon, herbs, garlic... The sous vide version came out with an almost aggressive edge to the seasonings. Very fresh, but I would have been more discreet in how much I used.

I choose between basic ziplock bags and vacuum sealed bags according to whim. The only mistake I made was in doing a lot of whole peeled carrots in a ziplock bag. I did not get enough air out and there was too much variation in the doneness of the carrots. I think if they had been pressed together in a more irless environment, things would have gone better.

Now I need a Vacmaster...
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:01 pm Just because Thanksgiving is coming....

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/ ... urkey.html

Michael Voltaggio's sous vide turkey. Not sure if I would like the dark meat as much as the breast with this method, but the part that intrigues me is that he does the sous vide with the turkey, aromatics, and duck fat. Duck fat always intrigues me... He finishes with a deep fry of the drumsticks and breasts, and a sear of the thighs. Again, just because it is Thanksgiving.... And because the recipe says the turkey can be made f days in advance.

I have pretty much settled on sous vide for lower fat proteins. It's my go-to for pork tenderloins. Just used it for cooking some artisan sausage, which I finished with a brief moment on the cast iron pan. I liked the texture better than cooking completely in a skillet, more refined.

I agree with other posters about being careful with seasonings. Years ago I was at a food equipment show in Europe. KitchenAid had wall units for sous vide and a chef compared different methods using the same ingredients--chicken breasts, lemon, herbs, garlic... The sous vide version came out with an almost aggressive edge to the seasonings. Very fresh, but I would have been more discreet in how much I used.

I choose between basic ziplock bags and vacuum sealed bags according to whim. The only mistake I made was in doing a lot of whole peeled carrots in a ziplock bag. I did not get enough air out and there was too much variation in the doneness of the carrots. I think if they had been pressed together in a more irless environment, things would have gone better.

Now I need a Vacmaster...
Mahalo for the tip!
That is so intriguing!
Very tempted to give it a go. Love the making in advance thing!

I use my SV (Anova) most for thick cut pork chops, chicken breasts and steaks nowadays. I like to pre-cook bacon in it too. Although I am reverse searing steaks more lately. Going to try the sausages. I can completely see how it would change them. (I boil my pre-cooked sausages before flashing in on grill, which would be a similar thing I guess.)

I use an Oliso vacuum sealer. Not as versatile as a Vac masters and probably only good for home use. But way cheaper!
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

If you try the sausages, there is an interesting take on temperatures on the Anova site...

"At 140°F (60°C): sausage that is extra juicy compared to traditional cooking, but with a softness that some might find bordering on too soft.
At 150°F (66°C): sausage is fully firm and extra juicy with a very smooth texture throughout.
At 160°F (71°C): sausage has a nearly traditional texture—springy and juicy, quite firm, but starting to show a difference in texture between fat and lean areas with the latter starting to turn a little loose and crumbly."

I've been going for 150 degrees with nice results.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

No love for sous vide fish I see. I love a Nice sear on most fish but a piece of poached fish in a nice herb Olive oil is Also tasty.

Duck is nice sous vide as well. Sous vide it a bit, then render that fat and crisp the skin.

Personally I cook most things without it but its fun to mess around with once in a while.