Top Chef Junior

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
keithmarder

Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder »

I keep forgetting to post this here. But if you want to see a budding chef, my partner's daughter, is on "Top Chef Jr." on Universal Kids Network. It airs Saturdays at 6 ET. Her name is Nikki and she is from NYC.
keithmarder

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder »

Remibder: The show is on tomorrow at 6 ET. These kids can cook. #RootForNikka and follow @ChefNikkiB on Instagram
timos

Post by timos »

very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

What was I doing when I was 6? Trying to ride a bike and collecting baseball cards. Kitchen was off limits. :)

I hope she did well!
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

timos wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
The kids on master chef junior are heavily coached prior to each episode and given recipes and practice times.
I read a huge article on it.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Nmiller21k wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am
timos wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
The kids on master chef junior are heavily coached prior to each episode and given recipes and practice times.
From what I have read that is the case with most of these "reality" shows.
Iron Chef. Chopped. Guy's Grocery games etc......All pre written and staged up the wazoo!
Just look at the different camera angles, voice overs etc. There is no way these are truly "live".
I have worked on several Reality Shows here on Maui and I can tell you that they are anything but real :shock:

I tried doing the Chopped thing many times and in all honesty, for me, it's virtually impossible without much planning and practice!
Not to take away from any of the cooking skills and speed that these contestants exhibit. In most cases they are amazing.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

mauichef wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am
Iron Chef. Chopped. Guy's Grocery games etc......All pre written and staged up the wazoo!
Just look at the different camera angles, voice overs etc. There is no way these are truly "live".
I have worked on several Reality Shows here on Maui and I can tell you that they are anything but real :shock:

I tried doing the Chopped thing many times and in all honesty, for me, it's virtually impossible without much planning and practice!
Not to take away from any of the cooking skills and speed that these contestants exhibit. In most cases they are amazing.
Any interesting mystery baskets that you gave yourself?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Drewski wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Actually my wife gave them to me. If I'd done it then that would have given me a head start.
And thus why for me it was almost impossible to do...at least in time.

Have you ever tried it?
It's very interesting.

I can't imagine having to do it under the pressure of the cameras and all that.
These kids are truly amazing, coached or not!!!!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

mauichef wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:30 pm
Drewski wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Actually my wife gave them to me. If I'd done it then that would have given me a head start.
And thus why for me it was almost impossible to do...at least in time.

Have you ever tried it?
It's very interesting.

I can't imagine having to do it under the pressure of the cameras and all that.
These kids are truly amazing, coached or not!!!!
I haven't, but I definitely see an evening of doing so in my near future!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

She advanced again. This kid also won Chopped Junior. She had no knowledge of what was going to be in the baskets. Same with this show, the challenges are all legit. They edit after to tell their story, but they contestants don't know what they will be cooking or what the challenge is. There is some culinary training while they are there.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

That is fantastic.
I was not meaning to be disparaging with my comments.
Just something I had heard from various sources.
That makes what they do even more impressive.
Seriously.
Try it one time.
Its a ball buster!
I have always loved Chopped Junior. The kids are amazing and such wonderful personalities.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

mauichef wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 am That is fantastic.
I was not meaning to be disparaging with my comments.
Just something I had heard from various sources.
That makes what they do even more impressive.
Seriously.
Try it one time.
Its a ball buster!
I have always loved Chopped Junior. The kids are amazing and such wonderful personalities.
When she won Chopped Junior, one of the prizes was she got to be a judge when Marcus Samuelsson, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli and Mark Murphy were cooking. It was funny to watch. The chefs were competing for a charity, so they had to take it when 10-year-old kids were criticizing the mouth feel of their food.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I remember that episode!
Damn mate...that is so COOL!!!!!
What an amazing experience.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

6 p.m. tonight on Universal Kids. Root for Nikki. And also follow her on Instagram @ChefNikkiB
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

She advanc ed again and is now in the Top 9. She won the quick fire challenge. Her secret ingredient was Prickly pear and she made a poke bowl and a drink
timos

Post by timos »

excelelnt! I am gonna have to check it out once its on hulu or netflix
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

timos wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 am excelelnt! I am gonna have to check it out once its on hulu or netflix
I think it's on Amazon
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

keithmarder wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:06 pm
timos wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 am excelelnt! I am gonna have to check it out once its on hulu or netflix
I think it's on Amazon
I'm gonna have to look that up. 👍
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

This is just wonderful. At that age I thought I was gourmet if I added spam to my top ramen.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Tune n tonight at 6. Reggie Bush is the guest judge. Root for Nikki.