Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
lsboogy

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by lsboogy »

mauichef wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm
lsboogy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 pm I have a Mineral B 14 inch pan - still available it's almost 11" across on bottom flat area
I know you have quite the carbon collection...so how does the Mineral stack up against the others?
I get the impression that other than aesthetics, in the main, they all cook about the same.
The eggs and steak don't know the difference ;)
I am about to spring for a De Buyer carbon 11". (its a few dollars less than the Mineral. Seems almost identical other than the bees wax coating and the plastic button on the handle)
Thanks for the input.
I think all of my carbon steel stuff is about equivalent in cooking performance - the old stuff my mom bought in the 50's versus the stuff I have purchased over the years. It's just how the handles work for me and Jen - she likes the lower handles and I like the taller ones. We have both flat and rounded side stuff - I'm a tosser and she's a flipper so I go for rounded stuff when cooking (cept eggs, browning filets, and crepes - then I go for one of the crepe pans or a fry pan) and she likes the flat sided stuff.

Carbon steel is pretty cheap, lasts for lifetimes, and once black is nonstick in a way Teflon could only dream about - buy a few and find out what suits you - I'd bet I have less than $1K worth of carbon steel pans and they hang on both racks and get used more often than anything else here - the shape and handle are the only difference. My Blu pan was a gift - very very nice construction and I'm supporting a twosome who do absolutely stunning work, but I still tend to go for the old stuff I grew up with. I rarely use the copper stuff anymore except making sauces. I'd guess we use carbon steel or cast iron for 98% of our pan cooking - tomatoes included

We gladly pay $500 or more for knives on a routine basis, and my stove was $4K. Pans are cheap. I'll save more by eating at home than anything else - a $40 meal here would run us $150 min at a restaurant - cook well, eat well, cut well. Life's good
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 pm I have a Mineral B 14 inch pan - still available it's almost 11" across on bottom flat area
I know you have quite the carbon collection...so how does the Mineral stack up against the others?
I get the impression that other than aesthetics, in the main, they all cook about the same.
I am about to spring for a De Buyer carbon 11". (its a few dollars less than the Mineral. Seems almost identical other than the bees wax coating and the plastic button on the handle)
Thanks for the input.
Ray,
I've been considering the DeBuyer Carbon myself over the Mineral B and have been all over the place trying to find the differences if any,other then the handle and the beeswax like you say.I think there might be a weight/thickness difference but I am not real sure on that.
Ray
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

old onion wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am
Thanks for the input.
Ray,
I've been considering the DeBuyer Carbon myself over the Mineral B and have been all over the place trying to find the differences if any,other then the handle and the beeswax like you say.I think there might be a weight/thickness difference but I am not real sure on that.
Ray
Just been looking at that and I think the Carbon is thicker but the De Buyer site does not give the thickness of the Mineral B. Just a note on the Carbon page about it being thick!

I think I'm going to have to get a Mineral as Amazon (or their supplier) will not ship a Carbon to Hawaii but they will ship a Mineral. Yes I know....go figure :roll:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm
Thanks for the input.
I think all of my carbon steel stuff is about equivalent in cooking performance - the old stuff my mom bought in the 50's versus the stuff I have purchased over the years. It's just how the handles work for me and Jen - she likes the lower handles and I like the taller ones. We have both flat and rounded side stuff - I'm a tosser and she's a flipper so I go for rounded stuff when cooking (cept eggs, browning filets, and crepes - then I go for one of the crepe pans or a fry pan) and she likes the flat sided stuff.

Carbon steel is pretty cheap, lasts for lifetimes, and once black is nonstick in a way Teflon could only dream about - buy a few and find out what suits you - I'd bet I have less than $1K worth of carbon steel pans and they hang on both racks and get used more often than anything else here - the shape and handle are the only difference. My Blu pan was a gift - very very nice construction and I'm supporting a twosome who do absolutely stunning work, but I still tend to go for the old stuff I grew up with. I rarely use the copper stuff anymore except making sauces. I'd guess we use carbon steel or cast iron for 98% of our pan cooking - tomatoes included

We gladly pay $500 or more for knives on a routine basis, and my stove was $4K. Pans are cheap. I'll save more by eating at home than anything else - a $40 meal here would run us $150 min at a restaurant - cook well, eat well, cut well. Life's good
Mahalo mate. Good advise. Gonna start off with a De Buyer.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

mauichef wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 pm
old onion wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for the input.
Ray,
Ray
Just been looking at that and I think the Carbon is thicker but the De Buyer site does not give the thickness of the Mineral B. Just a note on the Carbon page about it being thick!

I think I'm going to have to get a Mineral as Amazon (or their supplier) will not ship a Carbon to Hawaii but they will ship a Mineral. Yes I know....go figure :roll:
I have a mineral crepe pan from them. It's nice pretty non-sticky from the start.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Watch some old Julia Child re-runs. Copper Mauviel pans and carbon steel stuff. I think all she ever used.

https://youtu.be/8wbCgiL5sio
Last edited by lsboogy on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I think I will end up that way too - with a few cast iron jobs and some pans the kids gave me
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

lsboogy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 pm Watch some old Julia Child re-runs. Copper Mauviel pans and carbon steel stuff. I think all she ever used.

The first three recipes she used a non stick pan lol.
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 pm Watch some old Julia Child re-runs. Copper Mauviel pans and carbon steel stuff. I think all she ever used.

Oh man,would I have loved to be in her kitchen followed up with the table in front of me.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Good thread. I've been looking at getting a carbon pan for at least a year, most likely the Matfer. I'd spring for a Newquist if they made a 12-inch pan.

I know they weigh less than cast iron, but how much so? Seems a 12-inch Lodge CI weighs 8 lbs and a 12-inch carbon pan 5 lbs. That sound right?
Jeffry B
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 am Good thread. I've been looking at getting a carbon pan for at least a year, most likely the Matfer. I'd spring for a Newquist if they made a 12-inch pan.

I know they weigh less than cast iron, but how much so? Seems a 12-inch Lodge CI weighs 8 lbs and a 12-inch carbon pan 5 lbs. That sound right?
It really depends on the thickness of the material, I think. My carbon steel pans are a bit lighter than similarly sized cast iron, but that is because they are a bit thinner.

Also, as mentioned above, I contacted Nequist and they said they would be making larger pans next year.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Just find a few that you like - I take a crepe pan camping as my basic pan and have done so for nearly 40 years (including many hunting trips inN Montana). They are durable, all of them. Find a handle that suits ya, and use them - we are done camping on Lake Superior for the year, but I tossed an old French made skillet on he fire tonight and made some carbonara in the back yard with friends - the old ones are great - the pan I used tonight was made before I was born - use it almost daily and it never fails in any way. Same pan I have taken camping cooks eggs many days a week - they last like cast iron pans and give you better temp control - still love my cast iron for ultra hot seat, but that's all I use them for.

Don't get wrapped around the axle - carbon pans are cheap and last swveral lifetimes, like cast iron. I'm sure the pans my mom bought in the early 50's will serve my great grandchildren and theirs.
old onion

Post by old onion »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 am Good thread. I've been looking at getting a carbon pan for at least a year, most likely the Matfer. I'd spring for a Newquist if they made a 12-inch pan.

That sounds about right Jeffry. I think my Matfer 11-7/8" pan weighs about 4 to 5 lbs. If I can locate my scale tomorrow,maybe I can give you an exact. I have Two Matfers,an 11-7/8" and an 9-1/2" omelette pan,love them both. The sides are more flared on them then say my deBuyers 10 inch and 12-1/2 ",which have more of a rounded side. Kind of moot actually. The matfer's have welded handles and the debuyers have rivets,either are just fine and no problem to keep clean,though some would like to make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to rivets.I like eggs a lot,even raise chicken to get them,and I'll give my 9-1/2 inch Matfer omelette pan a two thumbs up. If you don't already have one,you need to. My Mauviel 9-1/2" crepe pan,another very fine pan.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Thanks all. I am going to buy a few pans today. A Matfer 11 7/8 and a smaller one. Not sure if I should go for the 8 5/8 or 9 1/2. Seems the smaller one is better for eggs, the 9 1/2 for crepes. If the the 11 7/8 is also great for crepes seems the 8 5/8 would be preferred. If anyone has strong thoughts on the matter please let me know.
Jeffry B
old onion

Post by old onion »

jbart65 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:21 am Thanks all. I am going to buy a few pans today. A Matfer 11 7/8 and a smaller one. Not sure if I should go for the 8 5/8 or 9 1/2. Seems the smaller one is better for eggs, the 9 1/2 for crepes. If the the 11 7/8 is also great for crepes seems the 8 5/8 would be preferred. If anyone has strong thoughts on the matter please let me know.
The 9-1/2 inch Matfer omelette pan that I have has a cooking surface of 6-1/4 inches. I usually cook two eggs over easy in it or a three egg omelette. My Mauviel 9-1/2 inch crepe pan has a cooking surface of 8 inches. I find both size pans perfect for what I do. I am glad that I didn't get smaller .
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Sheesh just read the whole of this thread. Lots of good info. I grew up on a ranch and our family get togethers always had some of the best food you could eat via Dutch ovens. My grandfather and uncles had that style of cooking down pat. I didn’t get interested in cooking until 10 years ago or so. Once I did scratch that itch I bought some Dutch ovens and made a mess of things not understanding how to season or care for such cookware. We always just ate as kids, never helped cooked. Now my Dutch ovens are well seasoned and in good shape, I even tracked down two of my Grandpas Dutch ovens from a cousin who had no need for them and I use them every summer at reunions. Some of those old recipes I will never get back, like Grandpas cowboy biscuits or peach cobbler but atleast some of that tradition is being revived. I think I’m going to order a couple Matfer skillets and give it a try. This is great, lots of knowledge and know how from hands on experience. Thanks to all for sharing.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Cast iron, carbon steel, just two forms of pans that can be totally non stick and great for cooking in. Too much thought and comparison in this thread. Only ergonomic stuff differs, find what feels comfy to you and leave it to your grandkids and they will leave it to theirs. If you're tall, get deBuyer, Matfer for all others. Cheapest stuff you can ever get - 100 year pans for 50 cents a year.
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 pm Cast iron, carbon steel, just two forms of pans that can be totally non stick and great for cooking in. Too much thought and comparison in this thread. Only ergonomic stuff differs, find what feels comfy to you and leave it to your grandkids and they will leave it to theirs. If you're tall, get deBuyer, Matfer for all others. Cheapest stuff you can ever get - 100 year pans for 50 cents a year.
Naw,being short or tall doesn't have anything to do with it. I am 5-'7" and the debuyers and matfers both work for me.There is only a 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch height difference in the handles,measured at the very end, which don't mean squat and I don't flip food with a 5 pound pan.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

It's the angle of the handle onion - Jen feels like the deBuyer stuff makes her tilt her wrist up and uses only a couple of Matfers that she thinks are ergonomically correct for her.
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 pm It's the angle of the handle onion - Jen feels like the deBuyer stuff makes her tilt her wrist up and uses only a couple of Matfers that she thinks are ergonomically correct for her.
I thought about that while I was researching carbon pans and read the difference in the handle angles.I figured if the deBuyer's handle presented much of a problem,I'd just take it to the shop and put my vice on it and bend it into submission or a little strip heat on the bottom of the handle would do the trick.