Makoto Ryusei

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
gastro gnome

Re: Makoto Ryusei

Post by gastro gnome »

Hey Sean, a couple of your measurements seemed a bit different than the product page measurements:

- 236 mm length (vs 246 mm on the product page)
- 184 g (vs 5.4 oz or 153 g on the product page)

So yours is an undersized 240? That might make me even more interested.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

gastro gnome wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:42 pm Hey Sean, a couple of your measurements seemed a bit different than the product page measurements:

Good morning. Yes mine is 236mm in length. I used a cheap dollar stor scale to weigh it. My nice digital scale took a nosedive off the counter a few months back and I haven’t replaced it yet. I will bring the knife to work with me today and put it on the paint scale to check the accuracy of my first weight measurement.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

I81.2g weighed on a very precise Sartorius scale
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 am I81.2g weighed on a very precise Sartorius scale
Gotcha. If that is typical, then it puts this closer to the W#2 in weight rather than suggesting an even svelter knife. Good to know.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 am
gastro gnome wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:42 pm Hey Sean, a couple of your measurements seemed a bit different than the product page measurements:

Good morning. Yes mine is 236mm in length. I used a cheap dollar stor scale to weigh it. My nice digital scale took a nosedive off the counter a few months back and I haven’t replaced it yet. I will bring the knife to work with me today and put it on the paint scale to check the accuracy of my first weight measurement.
Are you measuring the cutting edge to the top to ferrule?

Thank you for all the info!
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 am
Sean-in-AK wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 am

Are you measuring the cutting edge to the top to ferrule?

Thank you for all the info!
I measured blade length on the cutting edge only. Tip to heel of blade. From point 10 in my second photo to point 4 in my first photo.

More than happy to take other measurements upon request.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Well, I'd now like to hear from other purchasers as far as weight and length go so we have a better base line for these given the discrepancies with this one example and the product page. I know these knives can vary but 10mm and 30gm is a lot of varying.... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Miggs

Post by Miggs »

Hello! I'm new here and received the 210 today. It measures at 211mm and weighs 144 grams (5.079 oz). I can't really answer all the technical questions or give you specs like Sean has for the 240 but lmk if I can answer anything.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 pm Well, I'd now like to hear from other purchasers as far as weight and length go so we have a better base line for these given the discrepancies with this one example and the product page. I know these knives can vary but 10mm and 30gm is a lot of varying.... :?
I thought makoto dye cuts these blades, that should lead to very reproducible results.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 pm Well, I'd now like to hear from other purchasers as far as weight and length go so we have a better base line for these given the discrepancies with this one example and the product page. I know these knives can vary but 10mm and 30gm is a lot of varying.... :?
I thought makoto dye cuts these blades, that should lead to very reproducible results.
There can still be slight variations to these knives even being stamped after forging to give a fairly consistent profile.
It's the major difference in this one example and the specs on the product page that has me confused. Some or slight variation yes but this is really extreme. Makes me wonder if the specs on the product page just came off some paperwork or something and not by actually measuring a knife when they came in. And with my experience with both Kurosaki brothers, their knives generally run long not short which only contributes to the confusion.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Just got my 240 in it measured in at 236mm and 175g. The spine appears to be the same thickness from the handle to were the grind begins at the tip. There also odes not appear to be much of a flat spot at the heel. It appear to have a slight curve to the midpoint were the curve picks up to the tip. It does appear like it will be a good rocker. I'm not sure how it will do as a push/pull cutter or chopper. Also, compared to the w2 or the damascus knives the rounding of the edges isn't as good. They feel a little sharper then his previous knives. I'll see if it really affects anything in practice this weekend when I test it out.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

OgerBash wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:46 pm Just got my 240 in it measured in at 236mm and 175g. The spine appears to be the same thickness from the handle to were the grind begins at the tip. There also odes not appear to be much of a flat spot at the heel. It appear to have a slight curve to the midpoint were the curve picks up to the tip. It does appear like it will be a good rocker. I'm not sure how it will do as a push/pull cutter or chopper. Also, compared to the w2 or the damascus knives the rounding of the edges isn't as good. They feel a little sharper then his previous knives. I'll see if it really affects anything in practice this weekend when I test it out.
I have the Damascus, the choil and spine are not eased on mine. I think the white with SS cladding was rounded.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm Here are some blade measurements...
Length 236mm
Height 51mm
Weight 184g
OgerBash wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:46 pm Just got my 240 in it measured in at 236mm and 175g...
Given the two examples listed it looks like the specs on the product page are wrong. It's beginning to look like the 240 is running 10mm shorter and 20-30g heavier than listed, this can be very significant to some. I wonder if the 210 listing is as far off.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

I double checked my length measurement, it is definitely 236mm.

Last night I did some cut tests on onion, the factory edge had a bit of drag on the horizontal cuts. Nothing major, but you could certainly feel the friction and had to use a bit of force (not a lot)

Tonight I put it to the stones for a full progression and slight angle change. My progression was very similar to what I did on the AS 210 because I was extremely happy with the end result, however I got a new finishing stone since then. My process and results are as follows.

Shapton Pro 320- I made the edge bevel slightly more acute and a bit wider. 2 passes per side with moderate pressure to set the angle. 2 more passes per side lighter pressure to work the bur on each side. Deburred on felt then stropped 3-2-1 on each side. This left a coarse hair shaving edge.

Naniwa traditional 1k- 3 passes each side and then stropped 3-2-1 on each side. This left a slightly refined adhesive that shaved arm hair smoother.

Shapton Pro 2k- 2 passes each side and stropped 5-4-3-2-1 on each side. This left and edge that could cleanly slice rolled phone book paper.

Rika 5k- 1 pass each side and 5-4-3-2-1 strop each side. The bite into rolled phone book paper was noticeably faster and cleaner.

Balsa strop 3um diamond- stropped 3-2-1 each side. Left arm short on hair, moves to leg... edge pops hair redicilously easy, on the verge of tree topping some leg Hair. With better angular consistency it will get to that sharpness.

On to a few cut test on product that matters. Veggies!

I wasn’t able to do a lot of testing on veggies tonight but here is what I got so far.

Onion- horizontal cuts are now completely effortless with no noticeable resistance. (Dreamy!) push and poll cuts also require almost zero pressure, weight of the blad is enough. Paper thin slices are effortless, the blade Tracks true with no conscious effort.

New potatoes- paper thin see through slices are a breeze pushing or pulling. Draw cuts with the tip will keep the potato intact while making those thin cuts. Stiction or should I say lack their of is good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Good update and first impressions Sean.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 pm
Length 236mm
Height 51mm
Weight 184g
OgerBash wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:46 pm Just got my 240 in it measured in at 236mm and 175g...
Given the two examples listed it looks like the specs on the product page are wrong. It's beginning to look like the 240 is running 10mm shorter and 20-30g heavier than listed, this can be very significant to some. I wonder if the 210 listing is as far off.

I’m out so I can’t check my work so I’ll update the specs based on these.

I’ve got another 50 on order of the 240s. When I get them I’ll check again.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I have had the Damascus for awhile and only got the w2 with stainless cladding recently. So it's possible I just don't remember taking sandpaper to it. I just grabbed the two of the knife bar to do a quick comparison before I went to bed.
Bensbites wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm
OgerBash wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:46 pm Just got my 240 in it measured in at 236mm and 175g. The spine appears to be the same thickness from the handle to were the grind begins at the tip. There also odes not appear to be much of a flat spot at the heel. It appear to have a slight curve to the midpoint were the curve picks up to the tip. It does appear like it will be a good rocker. I'm not sure how it will do as a push/pull cutter or chopper. Also, compared to the w2 or the damascus knives the rounding of the edges isn't as good. They feel a little sharper then his previous knives. I'll see if it really affects anything in practice this weekend when I test it out.
I have the Damascus, the choil and spine are not eased on mine. I think the white with SS cladding was rounded.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 am
Jeff B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 pm
Length 236mm
Height 51mm
Weight 184g

I’m out so I can’t check my work so I’ll update the specs based on these.

I’ve got another 50 on order of the 240s. When I get them I’ll check again.
Thanks for the response Mark. I'm sure this is just a small oversight somewhere but a little clarification at some time would be nice. It only matters to me at this point because of the size of my collection now. Sometimes I'm looking for a knife with certain specs for what I want to try next. The confusion had me on the fence here because of the uncertainty of what I would be getting.

If it's not to much trouble, could you double check the length and weight of a 210. Would like to be sure if it is under or oversized too.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

I put the knife to task last night making fish tacos (red snapper), salsa, pickled carrot and shredded cabbage.

It did everything well.

Removing the skin from the snapper was clean and pretty effortless.

It was a tomato diicing machine. Drops through them with no effort and leaves the diced piles pretty much intact and in the shape of the tomato. No real sticking or pieces scattered about. I did also play around with slicing a tomato, I could get clean slices any any thickness I wanted.

CE3B5BC9-C950-450B-85E3-B40860D4B14B.jpeg

Coring the jalepenos was so so.. the tip height was a little tall to squeeze into that tight space, but it was certainly doable. The tip height on my AS 210 gets in there better and gets the job done quicker.

Halving and shredding cabbage was great. I only sensed the very slightest of hesitation at the last inch or so on the first cut halving the cabbage. Much cleaner than the AS 210 here. Quartering and shredding the cabbage was effortless fast and precise.

On the carrots, wow! Extremely thin long diagonal cuts were great. Clean slices! Then stacking the slices for a jullian. I could get good results on the jullian with push, pull or rocking. For my short pulls twirled The thinnest jullian, while short pushes were faster and almost as thin.
05E95806-41BF-45B8-85AB-59BA88A5FC5B.jpeg
I really don’t chop much, so I can’t help much talking about that. I forgot to take a pic of the finished tacos 😔
Hunger got the better of me haha. They were great!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Puts me one step closer....