Show Your Home Kitchen!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
salemj

Re: Show Your Home Kitchen!

Post by salemj »

In the spirit of above, I figured I'd post some pictures. Haha. These are just of two drawers. Above, someone mentioned about drawers (as cabinets) for pots, and I totally agree: my most recent place is the first I've personally owned that had draws like these, and I love them. No stack of anything is tall enough or heavy enough that I cannot easily lift it with one hand to grab the pot I want with my right hand, all without scrunching over, searching, banging things, needing light, etc. Between the two drawers, I think I have 10 pots and skillets (all but one with specific lids), at least six bowls, and three colanders. I store some other pots in other places, obviously, but that is a whole lot of super-easy access storage in the space of what would have been two extremely cluttered, hard to access cabinet doors/shelves below the counter.
Attachments
IMG_1414.jpeg
IMG_1413.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

I can handle drawers like that. People now use a single cabinet I have and stack all of my pots and drive me mad. I'd want a lot of those drawers instead of using cabinets.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Brother and sister both remodeled their kitchens and went with drawers instead of bottom cabinets. MUCH more convenient! That's the way I'm going when I remodel in a year or two.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

Another option, if you like the look of cabinet doors, is to have slide out trays behind a pair of cabinet doors so they behave like drawers, albeit with low sides. I did a mix to avoid having all lower drawers which would look weird....
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Just a small kitchen here, but more than enough space to feed my little ones.

Steel+Fire

Post by Steel+Fire »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm Just a small kitchen here, but more than enough space to feed my little ones.

That small kitchen is way bigger than mine and I have a 2800 square ft house. I would love to have that much space... I am envious. :mrgreen:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm Just a small kitchen here, but more than enough space to feed my little ones.

Love the cleavers! What kind of crepe pan is that on the stove?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Drewski wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 pm
Wow, good eye, I can barely see it. It is a Newquist Forge crepe pan, although last night it was a grill cheese pan.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:26 am
Drewski wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 pm
Wow, good eye, I can barely see it. It is a Newquist Forge crepe pan, although last night it was a grill cheese pan.
That's a great looking kitchen Kaleab!
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

That is one nice kitchen. The entire top of the island is pure utility too.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Nice set up!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I wish I had room for an island in my kitchen. Would love that kind of room for prep rather than just the counter, which always has to much clutter. :oops:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Here are some pics of what I have now. Cooking for my daugher's 12 year old birthday dinner tonight, which includes a magret duck breast and bratwurst app, fried artichoke hearts, ribeye from a rack I was dry aging for a month in the garage fridge and a chopped fresh and fermented vegetable salad. The beef bones are being used for an all day red wine reduction that I'll use as a sauce.
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

t3chi3 -->Love it! That is a kitchen I can only dream of having someday!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

That is a dream kitchen! What do you use the rubber boots for?
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

My wife's boots. We had a nor'easter yesterday.

The kitchen layout works I guess but all the cabinets on the left side are going. Counters, sink, floors are being replaced. The countertops are not in nearly as good shape as they appear. Since one dishwasher is under the island, the moist heat bowed it there a bit. I think a smaller Island without a sink would be ideal, with recessed seating. I would look to shorten it on the oven side and I think that would make that triangle of oven, fridge and sink accessible to the prep area.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Beautiful kitchen. I have always wanted a produce sink.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 am Beautiful kitchen. I have always wanted a produce sink.
We even blew that. Only the small sink to the right of the main has a garbage disposal. When I need to soak/clean produce I use a very big stainless bowl.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

t3chi3 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:37 am
Kalaeb wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 am Beautiful kitchen. I have always wanted a produce sink.
We even blew that. Only the small sink to the right of the main has a garbage disposal. When I need to soak/clean produce I use a very big stainless bowl.
I don't know a ton about stoves, but would you care to comment on the one you have? It looks very bad ass. I'd love something that big. Is that part between the gas burners a flat top grill? Not even sure if I'm calling it the right thing or not. Likes and dislikes?
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Viking 48" range, in the center is a griddle that I never use.

more than enough burners.
the flames are hot

Dislikes:
Monolith preventing me from choosing the best cooktop and oven solutions. It fills too many purposes and represents risk of failure.
Takes up too much of the kitchen, by integrating the cooktop into the island we are going to be able to have counter space and a pass thru to the dining room.
Sort of expensive over the life of it, just replaced knobs, ignitors, oven heating elements, hundreds of $$.
Even after that, half the time turning on the gas is just met with clicks.

I'm going to sell it in favor of an induction cooktop on the island and a wall mounted convection oven.