Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Wjhunt

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Wjhunt »

Sorry but I’m not sure my last post makes sense. What I was trying to say is running end grain across a jointer is very dangerous. Just trying to keep the diy readers from getting injured.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm sure he knows what he is doing - I do a lot of things that are very dangerous at work (mostly centered around extreme voltage and current for lightning testing - a plane gets struck by lightning about once every 2000 hours, so my stuff needs to survive and keep functioning) and I would not want most people around any of what I do - I've seen others hearts stopped and many burns - gotta know what you are doing.
jobone

Post by jobone »

Met this guy at the Chicago gathering, not cheap but amazing boards. The pictures don’t do them justice.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tiwocrqucubo.html
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

jobone wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm Met this guy at the Chicago gathering, not cheap but amazing boards. The pictures don’t do them justice.

I’ll second that. His boards are amazing.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Wjhunt wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:14 pm I made a few end grain cutting boards out of rock maple and rift sawed bubinga. The project involved a lot more labor than I anticipated. Fortunately, I had most of the equipment to build them (planer, powerful table saw, and lots of clamps). I still had to pay someone with a panel sander to sand them. Basically, you build and sand an edge grain board then cut it up and start again. Getting an end grain board for $150 is a bargain.
Amen to this. I made my own end grain walnut/maple board (16x22 inches). I love it, but it cost me about $100 in rough lumber (I bought enough for two) and it took a lot of work, and I have access to just about every cool woodworking tool available. From my experience, the financial margins on end grain boards must be slim.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Well to me all we're talking about here is spending $100-200 on something that will be used a lot and last a lifetime. Buying a nice endgrain was a no brainer to me for a lifetime of use.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Wjhunt wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:14 pm I made a few end grain cutting boards out of rock maple and rift sawed bubinga. The project involved a lot more labor than I anticipated. Fortunately, I had most of the equipment to build them (planer, powerful table saw, and lots of clamps). I still had to pay someone with a panel sander to sand them. Basically, you build and sand an edge grain board then cut it up and start again. Getting an end grain board for $150 is a bargain.
Amen to this. I made my own end grain walnut/maple board (16x22 inches). I love it, but it cost me about $100 in rough lumber (I bought enough for two) and it took a lot of work, and I have access to just about every cool woodworking tool available. From my experience, the financial margins on end grain boards must be slim.
Seriously. Always nice to be reminded that Japanese blacksmiths are not the only craftspeople we need to celebrate and appreciate.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Thin Man wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:17 pm
jobone wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm Met this guy at the Chicago gathering, not cheap but amazing boards. The pictures don’t do them justice.

I’ll second that. His boards are amazing.
Third this... I have 4 of his boards and they're all a great price for what they are. I have everything from a small simple board of his to a couple elaborate large boards. Follow him on Instagram and you can probably catch a coupon or small sale or raffle.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

I ended up buying from here
http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html

Really excited to get the board
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

Rusky wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm I ended up buying from here

Congratulations! :D They make my walnut board, and do excellent work. You will love yours for a very long time. Keep it oiled!
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

Runner_up wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Congratulations! :D They make my walnut board, and do excellent work. You will love yours for a very long time. Keep it oiled!
I just read up on the care instructions...so much oil... haha
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Rusky wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 pm I just read up on the care instructions...so much oil... haha
Especially right out of the gate when it is brand new. Maintenance is quicker and easier once it is in regular use and care. Congrats man!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nice purchase, you won't regret it. That will last a lifetime.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

Had the board for a few days now. Looks and feels amazing, definitely happy with my purchase.

It's incredibly oil thirsty though, I'll splash the surface with oil and it'll immediately get totally absorbed...is there such a thing as over oiling it?
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Rusky wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 pm Had the board for a few days now. Looks and feels amazing, definitely happy with my purchase.

It's incredibly oil thirsty though, I'll splash the surface with oil and it'll immediately get totally absorbed...is there such a thing as over oiling it?
No you can't overall the board unless it pools on top and drys to a shiny film (not absorbed in).
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

Rusky wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 pm Had the board for a few days now. Looks and feels amazing, definitely happy with my purchase.

Oil it until it wont absorb anymore. Very common for a new cutting board to soak up crazy amounts. After that it is super easy to maintain, just a touch of oil twice a year or so.
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

Maybe I should set the mood. Light some candles, pour a glass of wine, put on some smooth jazz, draw it a nice oil bath and let it soak.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Butchering an old saying. Oil once a day for a week. Then, once a week for a month. Then, once a month for a year. Then, once a year for the rest of your life.