The perfect Crepes

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Bensbites

Re: The perfect Crepes

Post by Bensbites »

Ok, I tried Serious Eats crepes last night, for a first attempt, they went pretty well. Of course I served them with another Serious Eats shredded Mexican chicken. French/Mexican fusion? I mixed this recipe with a whisk and used it right away, next time I would go with a blender for a smoother batter. I will do more crepes!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 am I will do more crepes!
No harm in that, in th grand scheme of things there are worse things you could eat.

Try making this: https://natashaskitchen.com/crepe-cake-recipe/ if you get sick of eating one at a time.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

[YouTube][/YouTube]
Kalaeb wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 am
No harm in that, in th grand scheme of things there are worse things you could eat.

Try making this: https://natashaskitchen.com/crepe-cake-recipe/ if you get sick of eating one at a time.
Thank you for the idea. I have considered doing that with cake batter.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 am

I gained 20 pounds just looking at that picture.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Cream cheese and lox crepe for me; mushroom, zucchini and carrot for the better half tonight. Served with tahini for both. Super easy, and absolutely made me feel like a chef.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I've been making my 3.5 year old daughter crepes lately. She loves them.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

STPepper9 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 am I've used this recipe a bunch of times with good results. It doesn't say it in the recipe but sift the sugar and flour.
It should be a thin batter.. I usually try to let it rest for at least an hour, but I've been fine using it immediately as well.
Getting the right heat on the pans takes a little trial and error. I've only ever used skillets. If you get a rhythm down you can juggle 3-4 pans at once so you don't have any down time waiting for them to cook. They will keep nicely for months if you wrap it well.
No need for a blender, but a nice rubber scraper is nice for helping flip them as can be a latex glove (or vinyl / nitrile) if you have normal fingers.
When you have written 7oz flour and 2.5oz sugar, are these volume or weight measurements?
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Drewski wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm
STPepper9 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 am I've used this recipe a bunch of times with good results. It doesn't say it in the recipe but sift the sugar and flour.
It should be a thin batter.. I usually try to let it rest for at least an hour, but I've been fine using it immediately as well.
Getting the right heat on the pans takes a little trial and error. I've only ever used skillets. If you get a rhythm down you can juggle 3-4 pans at once so you don't have any down time waiting for them to cook. They will keep nicely for months if you wrap it well.
No need for a blender, but a nice rubber scraper is nice for helping flip them as can be a latex glove (or vinyl / nitrile) if you have normal fingers.
When you have written 7oz flour and 2.5oz sugar, are these volume or weight measurements?
Weight
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

lsboogy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 pm Julia Child crepes

Put a cup of flour, 2/3 cup milk and 2/3 cup water and three eggs in a bowl (or blender) and mix until very smooth (I use a whisk). Add a dash of salt and a few tbs melted butter, stir a few more times and put in fridge (or on camp table when temp is 40 degrees F) covered with a towel for a while to let the air escape (I do an hour or two). Cook on a hot buttered surface
Used this recipe tonight on my as yet unused Mauviel crepe pan. Was my first time ever making crepes. Everything worked perfectly, which almost never happens to me haha. Recipe was dead easy and the pan, which I seasoned in the oven 2 coats, was super nonstick. In the crepes was Asian inspired braised pork shoulder, pickled cabbage and radishes. For dessert, cream cheese and blueberry jam. Found that the recipe above was just enough for 2 people. Thanks so much for all the inspiration!
Attachments
20181128_183039.jpg
old onion

Post by old onion »

Drewski wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Put a cup of flour, 2/3 cup milk and 2/3 cup water and three eggs in a bowl (or blender) and mix until very smooth (I use a whisk). Add a dash of salt and a few tbs melted butter, stir a few more times and put in fridge (or on camp table when temp is 40 degrees F) covered with a towel for a while to let the air escape (I do an hour or two). Cook on a hot buttered surface
Used this recipe tonight on my as yet unused Mauviel crepe pan. Was my first time ever making crepes. Everything worked perfectly, which almost never happens to me haha. Recipe was dead easy and the pan, which I seasoned in the oven 2 coats, was super nonstick. In the crepes was Asian inspired braised pork shoulder, pickled cabbage and radishes. For dessert, cream cheese and blueberry jam. Found that the recipe above was just enough for 2 people. Thanks so much for all the inspiration!
Dam,and I didn't even get invited. :cry:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

old onion wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:00 am

Ha! Let me know if you're ever in the Winnipeg area.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Drewski wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:34 pm

I would surely do that but I am afraid those traveling days up north are over for me.Went to way up Northern Ontario for fishing and bear hunting for many years but these old bones just can't do that anymore.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Onion- you need to car camp like I do now. I'm done with my week stints in the back country chasing elk with nothing but a pack. We drive to a campsite, set up within 100 feet of the car, and take advantage of everything. Nothing like waking up to a sunrise coming over Lake Superior, making a fire, and cooking some great camp food for breakfast. No kitchen can compare to the outdoors - especially the early morning outdoors - for a great meal site. The coffee is better, the juice is better, life is better. Jen's mom and dad come with us a couple times a year and they have you for age by a good margin. If you want, come up to the North shore next year and show up for breakfast - northern Minnesota is a great place that we frequent for a reason. Going to Alaska one of the next couple of years for the same reason, but we go to the north shore several times a year (plus we go sailing) - and I'll make ya some lox and cream cheese crepes for breakfast - excellent OJ and coffee and a nice sunrise make every day a great one when looking over the lake - living large with little financial investment
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

old onion wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 pm
I would surely do that but I am afraid those traveling days up north are over for me.Went to way up Northern Ontario for fishing and bear hunting for many years but these old bones just can't do that anymore.
At least you did when you could and made a bunch of memories. Kudos.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:51 am Onion- you need to car camp like I do now. I'm done with my week stints in the back country chasing elk with nothing but a pack. We drive to a campsite, set up within 100 feet of the car, and take advantage of everything. Nothing like waking up to a sunrise coming over Lake Superior, making a fire, and cooking some great camp food for breakfast. No kitchen can compare to the outdoors - especially the early morning outdoors - for a great meal site. The coffee is better, the juice is better, life is better. Jen's mom and dad come with us a couple times a year and they have you for age by a good margin. If you want, come up to the North shore next year and show up for breakfast - northern Minnesota is a great place that we frequent for a reason. Going to Alaska one of the next couple of years for the same reason, but we go to the north shore several times a year (plus we go sailing) - and I'll make ya some lox and cream cheese crepes for breakfast - excellent OJ and coffee and a nice sunrise make every day a great one when looking over the lake - living large with little financial investment
Well you just described my own feelings. The outdoors are therapeutic for me, cooking in my grandpas dutch ovens is tradition and enjoyable, there’s something special about that. My cowboy biscuits and cobbler aren’t as good as his but there is never any left overs. If lived closer I’d ask to tag along sometime.
old onion

Post by old onion »

nakneker wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:02 am

Partner,you sure got that right. Ain't nothing better then the outdoors and good old Mother Nature far from civilization.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

old onion wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am
Partner,you sure got that right. Ain't nothing better then the outdoors and good old Mother Nature far from civilization.
Me and my wife just returned from a mule deer hunt in Alberta last week, it was cold but we loved every minute of it. We were on a ranch that had 11 sections of deeded land and the deer were rutting. Best therapy I know. We both got mature bucks but just spending time with her in the outdoors was simple awesome.
old onion

Post by old onion »

nakneker wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:29 am
old onion wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am

Me and my wife just returned from a mule deer hunt in Alberta last week, it was cold but we loved every minute of it. We were on a ranch that had 11 sections of deeded land and the deer were rutting. Best therapy I know. We both got mature bucks but just spending time with her in the outdoors was simple awesome.
Keep it up.You only pass through one time.
Edit to add that I got a nice White Tail Buck on Thursday.He was only a 4 point but big body.Since you can hunt deer in Ohio with rifle and straight walled cased cartridges now,I hung up the old shotgun with pumpkin balls and use my JM model Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 Gov. with my own hard cast 350 gr. Ranch Dog bullets cast from Wheel Weights.
gladius

Post by gladius »

old onion wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am ...I got a nice White Tail Buck on Thursday.He was only a 4 point but big body.Since you can hunt deer in Ohio with rifle and straight walled cased cartridges now,I hung up the old shotgun with pumpkin balls and use my JM model Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 Gov. with my own hard cast 350 gr. Ranch Dog bullets cast from Wheel Weights.
—-
THAT is a humane load for taking down white tail.
old onion

Post by old onion »

gladius wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:10 pm
old onion wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am ...I got a nice White Tail Buck on Thursday.He was only a 4 point but big body.Since you can hunt deer in Ohio with rifle and straight walled cased cartridges now,I hung up the old shotgun with pumpkin balls and use my JM model Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 Gov. with my own hard cast 350 gr. Ranch Dog bullets cast from Wheel Weights.
—-
THAT is a humane load for taking down white tail.
It really is.That Wide Flat Nose cast bullet just leaves a nice clean 1/2 inch hole on a complete pass through and no meat damage.I pick my shots for a quick clean and humane kill.I learned patience from being an Army Airborne sniper so no running shots for me.I couldn't live with myself seeing a wounded animal run off to die a horrible death.Just not my way.