Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Carter

Re: Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys...I enjoy figuring out good workarounds for mistakes (I have used the one above before, unfortunately), and I enjoy photographing/documenting and sharing the process.

As an FYI....I am producing 2 additional blades in this series, I have one slated as a backup, in the event we have a heat treat failure, and the other I have a design in mind for a spec knife....having said that, if anyone is interested in one of the additional blades, please let me know.
Carter

Post by Carter »

The 3 240mm Western gyutos and several other knives (all W2 steel) are clayed up for the heat treating process. The 4 on the bottom are available.

Carter

Post by Carter »

A short video of the claying process...In this video, I clay a smaller blade, not the Western 240mm, just for time saving.

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

What are the lengths/heights on the 4 that are available? These look badass!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Drewski wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:26 pm What are the lengths/heights on the 4 that are available? These look badass!
240mm & 180mm western handle, 2x -210mm petty...one is going to a chef in Reykjavik.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm A short video of the claying process...In this video, I clay a smaller blade, not the Western 240mm, just for time saving.

Thanks for the share. That’s was interesting, keep’em coming :D
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Really great all the detail you share with us Carter. It's fun seeing all that you guys do and go through to bring us great knives!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thx Jeff...shop is closed....going on 34hrs with no power due to ice storm. Looking to produce some more video content soon.

CWH
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 am Thx Jeff...shop is closed....going on 34hrs with no power due to ice storm. Looking to produce some more video content soon.

CWH
Welcome to the boonies! ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm
Carter wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 am Thx Jeff...shop is closed....going on 34hrs with no power due to ice storm. Looking to produce some more video content soon.

CWH
Welcome to the boonies! ;)
Yeah, we definitely took underground power for granted in Miami. This one hit our area hard...worse than the 20" of snow in mid-December. Got power back this after noon, thx to the linemen from Indiana!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Here are the three 245mm western handled W2 gyutos, I spent a bit of time grinding them and getting the profile and edge thinned down. They have a light 220 grit finish at this point.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:54 pm Here are the three 245mm western handled W2 gyutos, I spent a bit of time grinding them and getting the profile and edge thinned down. They have a light 220 grit finish at this point.

Oh man, those are looking mighty fine! Thanks for posting pics.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

Cutting some really cool carbon fiber for bolsters.

Carter

Post by Carter »

I'm fitting up handles on the blades today...they have not been polished since etching.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Carter - I'm thinking strongly of going with a differentials hardened knife - can you tell me why the difference in clay depth makes a difference (knife on bottom versus knife on top). Would the bottom knife have a less stiff feel to the blade? I'm still probably in the 52100 camp with a nice black etch, but Jen asked me about this.

The 52100 blade you made I have right now is about perfect for stiffness in my use - feels like a much heavier blade but cuts like a laser. Is there something to the depth/width of the clay? If we can figure it out I might well go for "pretty" here - and next year get another 52100.
Carter

Post by Carter »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 am Carter - I'm thinking strongly of going with a differentials hardened knife - can you tell me why the difference in clay depth makes a difference (knife on bottom versus knife on top). Would the bottom knife have a less stiff feel to the blade? I'm still probably in the 52100 camp with a nice black etch, but Jen asked me about this.

The 52100 blade you made I have right now is about perfect for stiffness in my use - feels like a much heavier blade but cuts like a laser. Is there something to the depth/width of the clay? If we can figure it out I might well go for "pretty" here - and next year get another 52100.
We can differentially harden 52100 or W2, 52100 will just show little to no hamon, but structurally, both steels will be the same. The knives above are identical with regards to the claying, the only difference is the top one has some of the etchant removed. We can do anything from a fully polished blade to gun metal gray or leave as is, like the bottom knife.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'll call ya this weekend - 52100 still would be my choice, and I just need to know a little more about differential hardening
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Looks and sounds like awesome blades I have no experience with 52100 steel knives but they sound like they would last a lifetime.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Well, the first knife has been delivered and approved, so here are the pics. FYI...the second knife had a handle mishap and I am working on rebuilding it.

The handle is gaboon ebony with brass and FatCarbon adornments, the saya is a quilted maple with a brass pin.

Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

Beautiful work, Carter.