Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
snipes

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by snipes »

Appreciate the commentary Kalaeb and O-Onion. Agreed on the light coat of oil. I'd say that would be my number one recommendation to anyone new to these skillets. Light means light otherwise you end up with a gooey mess after seasoning.
My little ~7" has been giving me fits recently with sunny side up eggs with ghee as my fat since reseasoning it a few weeks ago. I've tried varying amounts of fat and different heat levels all with similar results. The big boy is a champ for searing. No plans to ditch them or mess with the seasoning, but I'm close to adding a little throwaway teflon skillet just for that use case as I make them most mornings. Like Kalaeb I'm also a believer in simply using them. The only reason I stripped the first one again was I had convinced myself there was a decent chance I never got all the wax off initially.
I have two Matfers and am happy with them, but will likely try a different brand next time just to see.
On the subject of the Shibata pan I'm wondering if the different thicknesses of the walls vs. bottom is to save some weight overall while using a thicker chunk on the bottom for more even heat distribution. Now I could see additional value in that vs. all 3mm or all 1mm for example. Looking forward to Maui's review.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 am
Oh sure,cover up the entire bottom of your pan so we can't see your lousy seasoning job. :lol:
[/quote]

Debuyer on the left, Newquist on the right.

In the beginning I tried everything to get that cool black mirror seasoning. Lard, flax, grapeseed etc...- I tried doing it in the oven @500, over a natural flame. The flax seasoning took the best and gave the best appearance (whatever that means), but after a few uses it just started flaking off ( I have a bunch of flax oil that I will never use, if anyone wants it let me know and I will send it to you). I have scoured the debuyer down to bare metal three times and always took it back up to a 1k polish...no easy job. I was so sick of stripping the pan I almost vowed to never use carbon again. I gave it one more shot and just used it, dealing with a little sticking early on. After each use I wipe down with a little canola oil. If I burn something in the bottom I will scour it with some rock salt. This is about a year of use. The Newquist on the right usually only gets used for things like crepes, pancakes, grilled cheese and eggs. The Debuyer usually takes all the proteins and higher temperature searing.
[/quote]

I can say with confidence, flax seed works great on cast iron. I have also seen Posting on woodworking forums that it makes for a food safe finish. “Boiled linseed oil” is flaxseed oil with additives that aid in curing.

I would tell you to send it to me, but I am not sure the cost of shipping is worth it.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 am
Oh sure,cover up the entire bottom of your pan so we can't see your lousy seasoning job. :lol:
[/quote]

Debuyer on the left, Newquist on the right.

In the beginning I tried everything to get that cool black mirror seasoning. Lard, flax, grapeseed etc...- I tried doing it in the oven @500, over a natural flame. The flax seasoning took the best and gave the best appearance (whatever that means), but after a few uses it just started flaking off ( I have a bunch of flax oil that I will never use, if anyone wants it let me know and I will send it to you). I have scoured the debuyer down to bare metal three times and always took it back up to a 1k polish...no easy job. I was so sick of stripping the pan I almost vowed to never use carbon again. I gave it one more shot and just used it, dealing with a little sticking early on. After each use I wipe down with a little canola oil. If I burn something in the bottom I will scour it with some rock salt. This is about a year of use. The Newquist on the right usually only gets used for things like crepes, pancakes, grilled cheese and eggs. The Debuyer usually takes all the proteins and higher temperature searing.
[/quote]

You've revealed your humanity Kaleab, thank you. That being said, I still like the preseason. It just needs the right method. That stovetop method I did is phenomenal. I saw a video of one very similiar where it looks like the guy dry heats and then puts thin coat of oil that might be even better. The newquist forge pan comes ready to rock, and it's preseasoned.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

So I got my field#10 in and made a batch of caramelized onions then a batch of mirepox. This thing is awesome!! :D just trying to get a lodge to the point this came out of the box is painful.

Of course, as soon as I use it they post the new #12. So no I need the 12.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Gentlemen,

I think its time for a summary thread, titled something to the effect of Carbon Skillets BOTTOM LINE, or Carbon skillets FINAL WORDS
Maui did it already, n'est pas?

the steps seems to be clear;
1) Buy pan
2) Strip beeswax
3) Do the potato peel, salt n' oil as described in instructions
4) Use pan*

*NOTE: Initial use require I) more oil II) some patience, and III) it is recommended to start out with proteins.

Any extra steps to color your pan red, black or brown using the oil of your choice should be done I) with a single drop of oil, spread very thin, and II) recommended for exterior aesthetics. Don't waste your time on the interior.

Sounds about right?

p.s
The exterior of my Min-B is quite nice from the flaxseed. The interior, as others noted, has just stripped away (and good riddance!).
Regular use has brought the pan to the condition many of you have described - quite nonstick (when food is crusted), and easy maintenance, just wipe clean.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm Gentlemen,

I think its time for a summary thread, titled something to the effect of Carbon Skillets BOTTOM LINE, or Carbon skillets FINAL WORDS

1) Buy pan
2) Strip beeswax
4) Use pan*

*NOTE: Initial use require I) more oil II) some patience, and III) it is recommended to start out with proteins.

Any extra steps to color your pan red, black or brown using the oil of your choice should be done I) with a single drop of oil, spread very thin, and II) recommended for exterior aesthetics. Don't waste your time on the interior.

Sounds about right?

p.s
The exterior of my Min-B is quite nice from the flaxseed. The interior, as others noted, has just stripped away (and good riddance!).
Regular use has brought the pan to the condition many of you have described - quite nonstick (when food is crusted), and easy maintenance, just wipe clean.
Perfect! Except... :lol:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Was in my local kitchen supply store yesterday, and they just got these new pans in. Described by a sales rep as "thin cast iron", they were thinner than carbon steel pans, but still some weight. The website calls them "spun iron". Still looking into these but I'm tempted to give them a rip. The company also makes gorgeous flippers and trivets.

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/sho ... rying-pans
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

1) Buy pan
2) Strip beeswax
4) Use pan*

Sounds about right?

p.s
It’s a nice thought but I don’t think you’ll ever get consensus on this one haha. I skipped potato peels and used a lot of oil but didn’t let it smoke too long and it worked perfectly (basically your step 3 but without potatoes), just like in the debuyer instructions. I watched a few YouTube videos where people are seasoning carbon pans and the comments sections are full of people arguing about this topic. It’s a touchy one it seems!
Last edited by Bluenoser87 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Altadan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm Sounds about right?
---
...and most important...

HOT PAN - COLD OIL
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Drewski wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm Was in my local kitchen supply store yesterday, and they just got these new pans in. Described by a sales rep as "thin cast iron", they were thinner than carbon steel pans, but still some weight. The website calls them "spun iron". Still looking into these but I'm tempted to give them a rip. The company also makes gorgeous flippers and trivets.

Attachments
20181205_173347.jpg
20181205_173356.jpg
20181205_173210.jpg
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

1) Buy pan
2) Strip beeswax
4) Use pan*

Sounds about right?

p.s
Nah, you won't see me getting upset by the discuss, but I'm not blindly accepting this route either. My pan is pretty much brand new and egg are sliding around nearing Teflon status and only using small amount of fat. There is nothing wrong with the route you described, but there's nothing biblicall about it being the way either. If people want to take long road like grandma, nothing wrong with it, but I rather my pan ready to rock from the start. Also already cooked burgers with no issues at all. Proteins - fish, steak, eggs etc. Bring it!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 pm

1) Buy pan
2) Strip beeswax
4) Use pan*

Sounds about right?

p.s
It’s a nice thought but I don’t think you’ll ever get consensus on this one haha. I skipped potato peels and used a lot of oil but didn’t let it smoke too long and it worked perfectly (basically your step 3 but without potatoes), just like in the debuyer instructions. I watched a few YouTube videos where people are seasoning carbon pans and the comments sections are full of people arguing about this topic. It’s a touchy one it seems!
Hahaha :)
Look, I never did the potato part either, but then I also wasted a whole lotta (lotta lotta) time and (electric) energy baking my pan @500...
The point is to save some folks time.
That being said, I don't know that this forum was ever about that... hhahahaha
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Drewski wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm Was in my local kitchen supply store yesterday, and they just got these new pans in. Described by a sales rep as "thin cast iron", they were thinner than carbon steel pans, but still some weight. The website calls them "spun iron". Still looking into these but I'm tempted to give them a rip. The company also makes gorgeous flippers and trivets.
Those look interesting after visiting their website. Looks like 12" frying pan only weighs about 3.65 lbs while my matfer comes in at 4.6 lbs. The cost is about 80 bucks, but another 43 for them to ship it to california.

While talking about thinner etc, few weeks ago I wrote a letter to all-clad about this. My thoughts were if the iron surface is what this is really all about, why not get a 12inch all clad 5ply and put a millimeter iron surface on it? much lighter with a handle that stays cool. Might be pretty cool looking shiny exterior with seasoned interior. Maybe Im just dreaming...
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

1) Buy pan
2) Strip beeswax
4) Use pan*

Sounds about right?
Actually I went one step easier, as originally stated...

Buy pan.
Clean pan.
Use pan.
Have a nice day :P

No potatoes around here other than for eating 8-)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

snipes wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:36 am
On the subject of the Shibata pan I'm wondering if the different thicknesses of the walls vs. bottom is to save some weight overall while using a thicker chunk on the bottom for more even heat distribution. Now I could see additional value in that vs. all 3mm or all 1mm for example. Looking forward to Maui's review.
This was exactly what I thought Brad, and why I elected to spring for it..that and the obvious artisanship and beautiful aesthetic that has been put into it by one of my favorite blacksmiths.

I will reveal all soon.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

mauichef wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:42 pm Actually I went one step easier, as originally stated...

Buy pan.
Clean pan.
Use pan.

I did try exactly that initially. Things stuck like crazy to it for me. I’m definitely at the “have a nice day” step now though haha
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm
Those look interesting after visiting their website. Looks like 12" frying pan only weighs about 3.65 lbs while my matfer comes in at 4.6 lbs. The cost is about 80 bucks, but another 43 for them to ship it to california.

While talking about thinner etc, few weeks ago I wrote a letter to all-clad about this. My thoughts were if the iron surface is what this is really all about, why not get a 12inch all clad 5ply and put a millimeter iron surface on it? much lighter with a handle that stays cool. Might be pretty cool looking shiny exterior with seasoned interior. Maybe Im just dreaming...
Ya, shipping from England is rough. If you or anyone else want to look into what shipping would cost from Winnipeg, I'd be happy to send from here. Of course, retail prices might differ but with the exchange rate from CAD to USD, don't think it would be that bad.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm
mauichef wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:42 pm Actually I went one step easier, as originally stated...

Buy pan.
Clean pan.
Use pan.

I did try exactly that initially. Things stuck like crazy to it for me. I’m definitely at the “have a nice day” step now though haha
Did you get it seasoned Blue, or are you still having trouble?
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:33 pm
Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Buy pan.
Clean pan.
Use pan.

Did you get it seasoned Blue, or are you still having trouble?
Yeah it’s all under control now and crazy slick
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Field skillets just came out with their number 12, could help it, had to have it. I have one headed my way, their skillets are above and beyond.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”