Bar Keeper's Friend good on Aogami Super?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Martin

Bar Keeper's Friend good on Aogami Super?

Post by Martin »

I am trying to polish my Takeda Aogami Super.

It has a slight little yellowish patina ( /rust?) on it.

Is " Bar Keeper's Friend " good for this job? or do I NEED professional knife products for this?

OgerBash

Re: Bar Keeper's Friend good on Aogami Super?

Post by OgerBash »

Are you sure it's rust?

Have you tried wiping it with an oiled cloth/paper towel to see if it comes off? If nothing comes off I would leave it alone and use it, or cut some potatoes with it.

Otherwise I use flitz most of the time. You can usually find it in the store in the same section as the bar keepers friend.

The bar keepers friend will work. Just be sure to use some backing soda after otherwise it give it a grey patina.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Also, when you say polish are you talking about just removing the patina or actually trying to mirror polish the blade?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I agree with reply above.

If you use bkf to remove the patina, wash 2 x with a paste of baking soda/water. Make sure you neutralize all the BKF acid.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

BKF will definitely remove the patina. It’s pretty strong stuff though so do it quickly. I also prefer flitz for this task. It takes a little bit of elbow grease but the results are good.
Martin

Post by Martin »

OgerBash wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm Also, when you say polish are you talking about just removing the patina or actually trying to mirror polish the blade?
I mean.. removing rust ... ( or remove patina if i need to"

The blade was " hammered looking " . i dont want to mirror polish it...
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I would use flitz then. I would just do.one or two.passes with the flitz, while watch tv. That is what i usually do. The only time I use gatekeepers friend is when there is some pitting. That way it can.get into the pitting and force a patina in the pitting. Then baking soda paste to neutralize. Then I end up using flitz on the blade. So that it is easier to see if I have stabilized the pitting.
Martin wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm
OgerBash wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm Also, when you say polish are you talking about just removing the patina or actually trying to mirror polish the blade?
I mean.. removing rust ... ( or remove patina if i need to"

The blade was " hammered looking " . i dont want to mirror polish it...