Pro tip of the day.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
dAviD

Pro tip of the day.

Post by dAviD »

After yesterday night talking with another cook, and I realized that despite what you think you know.....
You can know more.
I don't think civilians should know everything....but.....

I think it would be good to have some of our professional cook chime in. And maybe they did an old forum!

Anyways pros who are active on the forums maybe add something helpful to the group. (And I'm totally not saying that they have not beforehand because I've seen a lot of useful information.)

If there's enough of this information we can move it to a sub forum.

So, to start!

Personally when I'm working, I I typically keep a dough scraper near my cutting board so that I can use that to scoot around the ingredients where they need to go.
Most people use their knives..... Which is going to eat up the edge.
That's fine if you're using crappy steel or you're only cutting a couple tomatoes.

A cleaver does the same thing but most people don't use cleavers.

Also every time you do that on a poly board it eats up your edge so in an effort to maintain my edge as long as possible, I keep a handy dough scraper and use that to scoop into pots, prep pans, if it's flat enough clean my cutting board.

I'm using an old John boos block table for most of the prep at work.
(I also have one as a desk at my house because I love him so much....lol)

But still on that table, my setup typically is a sanitized towel fold it up with a large poly bored
<and there's a gap where I can tuck in a dough scraper>

The only work around I found after having no time for knife tune ups is having an acute enough angle that you're almost stropping on your crappy plastic cutting board when you scoot around The cutting board like a dog on the carpet.

But that doesn't last long because most cutting boards in pro kitchens are chewed up and spit out and you're dealing with uneven edges. Believe me I've tried to strop on everything!
I've also tried to keep stones in the kitchen and the cooks have ruined them when I'm not around.

It's to the point now where I want to find someone to make me a high-quality dough scraper as dumb as that sounds....lol.

Anyways that's my quick thoughts and advise.
Cheers!
Drewski

Re: Pro tip of the day.

Post by Drewski »

Love the thread idea! And great tip too. I read about the dough scraper in some other area of this forum and have been using one religiously for the past month. I find them so useful, I've been giving them as gifts.
Grandprix

Post by Grandprix »

I Would also support a pro tip of the day section. Nomination or encouraged participation would be great. Pros and home users alike. One never knows when a tidbit will light up a little bulb in your head.

May of us spend years learning and honing our skills to the point we take for granted the silly things we have picked up. They aren't exotic. They aren't worth mentioning to us.. but it's a trick of te trade that is useful. (Or MIGHT be useful to someone else maybe first hearing it)

I too use a dough scraper. I also meticulously maintain it.

And I do have one with a custom handle. Get a handle. Cut a slot down the length of it with a table saw and epoxy it on the end. Done!

**additional pro tip- to all you fellow left handed users. Your cutting board can instantly reverse the bevel of a fish spat. I only mention it because I worked with a guy that changing the guard as Saucier between services he saw mine and was all excited. I asked it he wanted me to show him the magic?

With his permission. Slipped his fish spat under the cutting board to the same spot it was angled.. pressed firmly on top of the board.. then bent the tip back the other way. He had fought with it for years and had never considered it. Some things are that easy, but just dont register till you see or hear it in front of you.

Great idea.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I'm no pro but I would never use a knife to move or lift anything. I always use a scraper every time I cook.
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

mauichef wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:17 pm I'm no pro but I would never use a knife to move or lift anything. I always use a scraper every time I cook.
Yeah I've seen bits and pictures of your knives....I'd be in the same boat if I kept a collection like you.

Side note: show off the collection! I'm super curious about what you have stocked away over there in your bungalow in Hawaii.
Impeccable taste, beautiful location, time and money. I'm sure there's a lot of crazy awesome stuff mixed up in there!.
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Grandprix wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:16 pm I Would also support a pro tip of the day section. Nomination or encouraged participation would be great. Pros and home users alike. One never knows when a tidbit will light up a little bulb in your head.

May of us spend years learning and honing our skills to the point we take for granted the silly things we have picked up. They aren't exotic. They aren't worth mentioning to us.. but it's a trick of te trade that is useful. (Or MIGHT be useful to someone else maybe first hearing it)

I too use a dough scraper. I also meticulously maintain it.

And I do have one with a custom handle. Get a handle. Cut a slot down the length of it with a table saw and epoxy it on the end. Done!

**additional pro tip- to all you fellow left handed users. Your cutting board can instantly reverse the bevel of a fish spat. I only mention it because I worked with a guy that changing the guard as Saucier between services he saw mine and was all excited. I asked it he wanted me to show him the magic?

With his permission. Slipped his fish spat under the cutting board to the same spot it was angled.. pressed firmly on top of the board.. then bent the tip back the other way. He had fought with it for years and had never considered it. Some things are that easy, but just dont register till you see or hear it in front of you.

Great idea.
Fish spats are no joke. Used for cookies, fish..... cookies.
Did I mention cookies...
But really when I cooked way more fish that wasn't blackened...
Most used tool.
And!
Not a cheap toy and left handed users are out of luck at Williams and Sonoma.....
Thanks!

Side note: I steal my sous fish spats when needed. He leaves his kit at work😈
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

mauichef wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:17 pm I'm no pro but I would never use a knife to move or lift anything. I always use a scraper every time I cook.
I flip the knife or cleaver over and use the spline to help scoop.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

You can get left handed fish spatulas - my SO has a Lamson one I got her a few years ago. She loves it. I use a dough scraper for large amounts of stuff but I just use my hand to get most ingredients from the board - really fine or wet stuff gets the scraper. I have a few fish spatulas - the Lamsons have always been good stuff.
Grandprix

Post by Grandprix »

lsboogy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 pm You can get left handed fish spatulas..
Of course! But some just space it and fight with a righty. Especially if they already own a righty. Hahaha. We are a notoriously cheapskate lot. :D
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Grandprix wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 pm
Of course! But some just space it and fight with a righty. Especially if they already own a righty. Hahaha. We are a notoriously cheapskate lot. :D
Dude! Between pay and hobbies and life......
Something that cost $5 vs $40 makes a huge difference.

I don't ever take it for granted that my old lady let's me blow a Chuck on a knife while I give away my best themopen.
Plus sometimes the best tools are the made tools!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

dAviD wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't ever take it for granted that my old lady let's me blow a Chuck on a knife while I give away my best themopen.
I look at kitchen tools as things that are cheap in the long run. J has one fish spatula ($35) that will last her for a lifetime and we eat at home a lot. Just depends on your priorities - plus we are old (baby boomers) and have the houses (I'm not married to J and she likes having freedom to send me home if I snore - and she is an introvert) paid off and have no debt. Shop at Costco for staples, and live as best you can. I remember grad school when a pizza from Dominos was a splurge - I lived in a house with 4 others so we could survive on rice and beans and get a case of the cheapest beer on Saturday - but we lived well and had a great time. If you can only buy a $5 tool, you are still better off than 95% of the world. Celebrate what cha got. And when you have spare funds spend them wisely. A Lamson spatula may seem like an expensive one, but I have a fish spatula I got in Japan in the late 80's for about $5 - about 15 cents a year. And I am on a no stone, no knife buying edict until further notice - bought my Christmas presents (I buy mine and she buys hers, but she can tell me no more spending and I won't violate it) this fall. Be happy where you are - and I have been learning about customizing knives I already own versus buying new ones this year.

Shopping at Williams Sonoma is not a place for budget minded folk - get a fish spatula from Mark (I have spatulas from this site) - best deals on quality stuff that will last you a lifetime. I've not been in a WS store for several years - better knives here for far less money.
mfishsauce

Post by mfishsauce »

Love the idea of this especially for a homecook like myself! Appreciate the advice everyone!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

dAviD wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm
Grandprix wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 pm

I thought that was called practicality. Pay for what you need, make what you can work.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Rubber Spats
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollra ... 52010.html
USE them often.
My wife now uses these exclusively with my extra Richmond Spoons for home cooking.

Chopsticks to make omelettes, general purpose cooking for small flipping stirring rotating.
The chopsticks help make nice small curds when making scrambled eggs or omelettes.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Non-Stick Pans, get a cheap one... replace it in a year or two don't spend bank on an expensive one.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Not a pro but it think this thread is a great idea. Now, as for your dough scrapper, I love the ones from The Dollar Tree! They are sturdy and well made, and particularly considering the fact that they are only $1!! I keep one slid under the right side of my board and a digital scale with a clean towel on top on the left side.

I like to scrape my boards between ingredients (particularly onions) to make sure that juice does not soak into my board(wood). Seems to work better for me than just using a towel. So yeah, I love a dough scrapper too. Multi tool of the kitchen! My wife uses it to cut fudge on the tray...lol.

As an aside and from a home users perspective I can say that one thing that has made my life a lot easier is having a small trash bin under my prep table. Though a bowl works to collect your bits and bobs for the compost heap it tends to get in the way on the prep surface, for me anyway. I feel cramped rather easily so I like to keep the table top as clear as possible.

Oh and I used to keep a stone on my table behind the cutting board, that is just in the way. Looks nice when the table is not in use but it simply isn't practical. Thankfully as a home user I really have no need to strop between items in a single sitting.

Anyway, I get most of my ideas in the kitchen from pros here on the forum in one way or another so sharing is always appreciated!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Chefs Choice knife sharpener makes a great edge on your grill spatula...
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

As far as dough scrapers go, when I make actual dough, I scrape it out of the bowl, then I let the bowl soak with water. A flexible dough scraper removes all the residual dough. Finally a very very soapy sponge does the final cleaning.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 am As far as dough scrapers go, when I make actual dough, I scrape it out of the bowl, then I let the bowl soak with water. A flexible dough scraper removes all the residual dough. Finally a very very soapy sponge does the final cleaning.
I don't even use one for its intended purpose. :lol: To cut dough, sure but not scrape it. :mrgreen:
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am Non-Stick Pans, get a cheap one... replace it in a year or two don't spend bank on an expensive one.
I actually donated my last non stick pans years ago and went straight for carbon steel. Never looked back.

Every day without fail I find myself using two things in addition to the knives...the carbon steel pans and a particular all-in-one omelet maker, scraper, salad tosser, whatever.....

https://www.earlywooddesigns.com/collec ... ts/l-saute