Pro tip of the day.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Pro tip of the day.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ray, do you open coconuts with your Konosukes? ;)

PS the pan shipped yesterday.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

On the topic, how about a Konosuke pastry scraper....
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 am On the topic, how about a Konosuke pastry scraper....
Ooooo yaaahhhhh... a Blue 2 damascus scraper... with kanji
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I guess I know what I'm spending my Christmas money on!
LaVieestBelle wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am
Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am Non-Stick Pans, get a cheap one... replace it in a year or two don't spend bank on an expensive one.
I actually donated my last non stick pans years ago and went straight for carbon steel. Never looked back.

Every day without fail I find myself using two things in addition to the knives...the carbon steel pans and a particular all-in-one omelet maker, scraper, salad tosser, whatever.....

https://www.earlywooddesigns.com/collec ... ts/l-saute
mfishsauce

Post by mfishsauce »

OgerBash wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm I guess I know what I'm spending my Christmas money on!
Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am Non-Stick Pans, get a cheap one... replace it in a year or two don't spend bank on an expensive one.
I actually donated my last non stick pans years ago and went straight for carbon steel. Never looked back.

Every day without fail I find myself using two things in addition to the knives...the carbon steel pans and a particular all-in-one omelet maker, scraper, salad tosser, whatever.....

+1
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:02 am Ray, do you open coconuts with your Konosukes? ;)

PS the pan shipped yesterday.
You are probably joking, but I have heard stories about people doing that (non forum members).
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am Chefs Choice knife sharpener makes a great edge on your grill spatula...
Also handy. I've done that for the ones at work because there's nothing more annoying then a dull bent up grill spatula. I wish it was more common in home stoves to have a flat top but one thing that I found that works is the heavy cast iron flat pans that sit over the top of two burners. And I probably use that more than my cast iron pans.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

That is me as well, I love my carbon pans and would probably give up my best knife before my best pan!
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

These are cool. I was just looking at my wooden spoons and thinking it about time to replace them.
Definitely got allot of miles out of them and they have lasted way longer than my other spoons.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

I love them. Heard about them years and years ago from a French food writer. Kind of a quiet cult thing until Kimball at Milk Street picked up on them last year and started promoting them. Really, really useful.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Without carbon steel pans and my scrapers (and, Mark, of course my knives) my life in the kitchen would be less joyful. It's taken years to get the pan collection together.
pans1.jpg
slobound

Post by slobound »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:32 pm Without carbon steel pans and my scrapers (and, Mark, of course my knives) my life in the kitchen would be less joyful. It's taken years to get the pan collection together.

pans1.jpg
😍😍😍
-- Garrick
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Um...like I said, this took years! There is one more that didn't fit...

Like an earlier poster here said, if you are buying regular nonstick pans, go cheap and replace regularly. If you want something you never ever have to replace that has such a great "sensation", carbon steel.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Feed your dog a bit less than what the vet says...you'll never clean your kitchen floor.
mfishsauce

Post by mfishsauce »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:32 pm Without carbon steel pans and my scrapers (and, Mark, of course my knives) my life in the kitchen would be less joyful. It's taken years to get the pan collection together.

pans1.jpg
Absolutely beautiful! 😍😍😍 Cheers and thanks for sharing!!!
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

+1 for pastry scraper as a cutting board scooper. That's about all I use it for
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

That looks great! Another thing to buy .... Fortunately not expensive.
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

pans1.jpg
Very impressive!
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Those wood spatula's look great.

Also my biggest take away from the nicest place that I've ever worked was to not be scared of a pressure cooker. This time was before the instapot where I was using only stovetop models but modern pressure cookers are quite safe. With the added bonus of 30 minute stock and other delights in roughly 1/3 of the cook time. That's my biggest tip with pressure cookers as well, is to roughly divide the cook time by 1/3 or just a bit less if you're scared. There's nothing wrong with getting into that thing and making sure that it's not over done.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Keep it coming. I love this stuff. Thank you !