All hail the mighty Anryu.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Robstreperous

All hail the mighty Anryu.

Post by Robstreperous »

Still the undefeated champion on sweet potatoes. I hadn't used her for a while. In fact, for some reason I wasn't even thinking about pulling her out for that thing she does better than any knife I've ever tried. How could I ever have forgotten?

She is completely unequaled on yams, sweet potatoes, and fantastic on root vegetables in general.

I needed to make long wedges today out of yams that were well over a pound each. Knives kept getting stuck. My go to recently's been my Kashima but these yams were just a little too tall and the Kashima's kind of delicate. I tried a couple of other pretty well known knives that I love, even dug out my Takeda bunka. Didn't matter.

It was wedge city. Even managed to nick one of my knuckles on my grip hand as I wrested with the suckers. So frustrating.

Then I remembered. My good old Anryu 240 blue.

I'm telling you.... just a little bit of pressure on a guillotine cut and she dropped right thru.

She was my first knife and I'm so glad I still have her around.
Last edited by Robstreperous on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutuu

Re: All hail the might Anryu.

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah, I may need to back track and get another blue 2 one. Great knive.
Chefspence

Re: All hail the mighty Anryu.

Post by Chefspence »

Still have yet to try one. Always on my mind though. I do find that the Gihei b2 performs excellently on the same veggies and roots you described. I’d like to do a comparison. Have you used the Gihei yet?

I’m also a sucker for the hammered look. Gotta try it sometime
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Chefspence wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 am Still have yet to try one. Always on my mind though. I do find that the Gihei b2 performs excellently on the same veggies and roots you described. I’d like to do a comparison. Have you used the Gihei yet?

Nope. Haven't had the pleasure of trying a Gihei. One of these days....

Crazy how you get locked into using certain knives and forget what a great job some of your others do.

I've been so heavily locked into a 270 custom Tim Johnson did for me and my Kashima and my Tsourkan I guess I'd forgotten about some of the other great ones in my block.

Always good to remember. My Kashima's generally pretty good on sweet potatoes too... but just so delicate and short blade height... glad I've got my old friend still.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Chefspence wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 am Still have yet to try one. Always on my mind though. I do find that the Gihei b2 performs excellently on the same veggies and roots you described. I’d like to do a comparison. Have you used the Gihei yet?

Nope. Haven't had the pleasure of trying a Gihei. One of these days....

Crazy how you get locked into using certain knives and forget what a great job some of your others do.

I've been so heavily locked into a 270 custom Tim Johnson did for me and my Kashima and my Tsourkan I guess I'd forgotten about some of the other great ones in my block.

Always good to remember. My Kashima's generally pretty good on sweet potatoes too... but just so delicate and short blade height... glad I've got my old friend still.
Haha. I love my good ol friends as well. Thanks for posting. I have got to try this knife. How’s it do with red cabbage? Any wedging?
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

That’s funny, my first jknife was this one too. I don’t use it much since acquiring a bunch of others but I have the same reaction as you every time I do use it.
jobone

Post by jobone »

My first was the 210 version. It’s awesome!!!
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

Damn, Still need to get my hand on an anyru. How do you guys feel about Aogami Super vs Aogami #2?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I like B2 more than AS because it takes a keener edge, comparable to white steel, and is easier to sharpen than AS. Can't really complain about any carbon though.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I've got a pretty good collection of Anryu going, with all the blades in heavy rotation. In B2, I have a bunka, honesuki, and the 240 gyuto; I also have a 300 suji in AS and just sold an AS nakiri (because I found out that I'm not a nakiri person). I can't say that there's a huge difference on the stones between B2 or AS, and would base purchasing decisions on aesthetics, price, or handles rather than core steel. As a workhorse, it's hard to beat the gyuto. I'd love to have a 270 gyuto and one of the 75mm petties. I also can't help but think that a 270 Maskaage Kumo would be stunning, but the price for VG10 has kept me from pulling the trigger. Anyone compared the Kumo line to the B2 or AS?
gladius

Post by gladius »

The Anryu Mizu gyuto 240 is superior. It has the same Anryu grind and thinness behind the edge but is overall a stouter blade. I had the hammered in 210 & 240 but sold them in favor of the Mizu. I am curious to try the AS line.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

gladius wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 pm The Anryu Mizu gyuto 240 is superior. It has the same Anryu grind and thinness behind the edge but is overall a stouter blade. I had the hammered in 210 & 240 but sold them in favor of the Mizu. I am curious to try the AS line.
You feel very confident that it's better than the blue2? I may grab one.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Cutuu wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:04 pm
gladius wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 pm The Anryu Mizu gyuto 240 is superior. It has the same Anryu grind and thinness behind the edge but is overall a stouter blade. I had the hammered in 210 & 240 but sold them in favor of the Mizu. I am curious to try the AS line.
I must have got a lemon then.My 240 Mizu is thick behind the edge but I have been working on that off and on for many moons.It is stout. I'll give it that.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Cutuu wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:04 pm You feel very confident that it's better than the blue2? I may grab one.
---
They are both good...same grind & thin edge but the Mizu is more powerful, a little heavier. The ferule is plastic though if you can get over that or swap the handle. It is fully reactive too - which I like and a bit less expensive. I sold both my hammered Blue no. 2's but kept the Mizu.
gladius

Post by gladius »

old onion wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:48 pm
I must have got a lemon then.My 240 Mizu is thick behind the edge but I have been working on that off and on for many moons.It is stout. I'll give it that.
Yours doesn't look like the choil shot here?: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy24.html

old onion

Post by old onion »

gladius wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm
old onion wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Yours doesn't look like the choil shot here?: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy24.html

No,it sure doesn't but I wish it did. I'm trying to get it that way though..I'm getting there but it has been a job that I only do a little at a time.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

If it's anything even remotely hard, more often than not, I'm reaching for my hammered 210. It just sings through the hard stuff. Honestly, it was the knife that caused me to eat more vegetables. It made me want to be a better man. Like Helen Hunt, but sharper.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I salivate like Pavlov's dog when I see I'm going to sharpen one of his knives.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
jobone

Post by jobone »

My Anryu B2 was my first love 💕 Making a quick slaw for dinner

thehomecookmi

Post by thehomecookmi »

Hello all. Longtime forum reader here. Made a few posts a while back under a different username that has somehow disappeared. Anyway, Anryu was also my first J-knife. Still absolutely love it for root vegetables. Jobone, cabbage! I always reach for this knife for processing cabbage.
Mark, I totally agree. Not sure what I like more, using it, or sharpening it.