semi steel makers?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
appleward91

semi steel makers?

Post by appleward91 »

Hey all, so after getting the mazaki KU, and seeing the reaction level, I'd say its very reactive. Then looking over at my partners knife hd2, and how good it is at not really developing a bad patina at all I was wondering what other makers on this site make good semi steel knives? Any recs?
Cutuu

Re: semi steel makers?

Post by Cutuu »

YS seems to be great steel, although my experience is still young with it. Knife seems fantastic is my initial impression.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm YS seems to be great steel, although my experience is still young with it. Knife seems fantastic is my initial impression.
Thank you, but not a huge fan of profile there. Actually have been leaning towards taller gyutos, with my sweet spot being a 220mm 50height. Wish more makers were around this ballpark, I dont see many, although the 210 mazaki is actually around there, so tempted to get on because of this, but the reaction on the 180mm version i have is a bit much which is what stops me from getting that asap.. sorta weary of it.
RamenMonster69

Post by RamenMonster69 »

Aren't the Mazaki and YS pretty similar profiles tip forward? I have the yoshihiro version of the mazaki 210 and the YS has reminded me a lot of that knife.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

RamenMonster69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 pm Aren't the Mazaki and YS pretty similar profiles tip forward? I have the yoshihiro version of the mazaki 210 and the YS has reminded me a lot of that knife.
ehh. +5mm length, but the 50-51mm height is what does it. In length it may not be much, but with height its a world difference for me. 220 is my fav length, and im finding that around 50 is my fav height. but all personal, so.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

appleward91 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:29 pm
RamenMonster69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 pm Aren't the Mazaki and YS pretty similar profiles tip forward? I have the yoshihiro version of the mazaki 210 and the YS has reminded me a lot of that knife.
ehh. +5mm length, but the 50-51mm height is what does it. In length it may not be much, but with height its a world difference for me. 220 is my fav length, and im finding that around 50 is my fav height. but all personal, so.
Have you tried the Gihei b2? It’s more like 215, but tall enough. I share your sentiments I’m taller longer 210s, and I love my Gihei. Even though a little heftier, it just fits my needs. You can try mine out if you want
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

appleward91 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm Hey all, so after getting the mazaki KU, and seeing the reaction level, I'd say its very reactive. Then looking over at my partners knife hd2, and how good it is at not really developing a bad patina at all I was wondering what other makers on this site make good semi steel knives? Any recs?
What do you mean by a bad patina? Are you getting any rust or just don’t like the look?
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Have you considered stainless clad with carbon core?
--- Steve
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:37 pm
appleward91 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm Hey all, so after getting the mazaki KU, and seeing the reaction level, I'd say its very reactive. Then looking over at my partners knife hd2, and how good it is at not really developing a bad patina at all I was wondering what other makers on this site make good semi steel knives? Any recs?
What do you mean by a bad patina? Are you getting any rust or just don’t like the look?
Sorry, im just not taking the time to explain it into detail. I do like the look, but I mean the rate at which it patinas / rust look. I've had many all carbon blades, but some dont react as fast as others i've noticed. With this mazaki, I'll cut into anything and let it be matter of a min and its harsh harsh reddish brown rusty color. Its really fast compared to others that I have had that will, but i'd have to let it sit sit for it to be like that.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Ah, gotcha. I haven’t quite experienced that with my Mazakis but they do react pretty quickly. My HD2 has a bit of a patina actually but it developed very slowly
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

HAP40 knives don't get much of a patina - great steel for a busy cook. It takes an edge that's near W1, and holds it very well. I have two kohetsu blades that are HAP40, and you can see the start of a patina after a couple years, but it's nothing like a white or blue steel knife - I love AS as it is near a powder for edge retention, but takes on a beautiful patina. I took a bunch of white steel knives that I gave to my daughter and put her initials on them using mustard and vinegar - but my sole HD2 knife has only a hint of patina on it. Try forcing a patina (martensite) with vinegar or mustard on a knife - it won't rust and will be beautiful - I love my AS knives for simple aesthetic reasons, and they cut well to boot.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

hm, thanks ill try it out as i have nothing to loose on it lol. It already turns as it is, so forcing one wouldnt be out of the picture. my first knife ever was actually hap40 by accident, so am familiar with it, and your right it is a great knife that holds edge very very long.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Chromax is a good steel as well but it is made by Takamura and the height is usually on the 46-48mm side. Love the steel though.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

appleward91 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Cutuu wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm YS seems to be great steel, although my experience is still young with it. Knife seems fantastic is my initial impression.
Thank you, but not a huge fan of profile there. Actually have been leaning towards taller gyutos, with my sweet spot being a 220mm 50height. Wish more makers were around this ballpark, I dont see many, although the 210 mazaki is actually around there, so tempted to get on because of this, but the reaction on the 180mm version i have is a bit much which is what stops me from getting that asap.. sorta weary of it.
You'll definitely be bummed about the height of the YS with your preferences. I like the knife, but it's short.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 pm HAP40 knives don't get much of a patina - great steel for a busy cook. It takes an edge that's near W1, and holds it very well. I have two kohetsu blades that are HAP40, and you can see the start of a patina after a couple years, but it's nothing like a white or blue steel knife - I love AS as it is near a powder for edge retention, but takes on a beautiful patina. I took a bunch of white steel knives that I gave to my daughter and put her initials on them using mustard and vinegar - but my sole HD2 knife has only a hint of patina on it. Try forcing a patina (martensite) with vinegar or mustard on a knife - it won't rust and will be beautiful - I love my AS knives for simple aesthetic reasons, and they cut well to boot.
Not to derail, but how is the sharpening if hap40? Is it difficult?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

HAP40 knives just take a bit longer on the stones - even my very soft stones can get them sharp - it takes about 20% longer to sharpen a HAP40 blade than a B2 one on my stones
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I agree with Isboogy. Hap40 is an awesome steel can be taken to high levels of hardness. 67 68 and even 69. So they will get stupid sharp. I also feel they aren't very brittle either especially if you go with an older Sukenari.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

My HD2 has become one of the knives I reach for the most, I get where your coming from. I was looking at knives that may fit the bill and came across this. Not quite tall enough at 47 but CKTG will take a look and see if there is a tall one if you so desire. Neat knife, reminds me of the HD2 in some ways.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kosg2gy21.html
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”