What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
christian309

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by christian309 »

datster wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:57 am Some offerings as of late ........... hope this is drool worthy

There is a beautiful Carter Hopkins handle in there somewhere. :D :D

Seared scallops, wild mushroom risotto, maple bourbon glazed heirloom carrots

Seafood Chowder

Little crab burritos and mango guacamole

Ribs ....'nuff said. Ribs, LOL!

Skillet corn bread with bacon and jalapeno

Waffles with Bananas Foster

Hanger steak, garlic mashed yukon golds, mushroom glace, green beans

Poached eggs over black beans, cheddar and salsa

Nachos, nachos, nachos! Home made chips, chicken avocado, red onion, black beans and cheese, cheese, cheese.
HEY! It is Wisconsin after all, LOL!

Poached eggs over an "everything but the kitchen sink" hash

Shukshuka over home made biscuits
All looks great, but i would now either choose the scallops or the rips
christian309

Post by christian309 »

dc2123 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:07 pm Meze

Grilled beets and red onion
Cauliflower fritters
Hummus

(Not pictured, cucumber salad/yogurt lime dressing/grilled beet sauce with honey and sherry vinegar)
really reminded me of isreali cuisine from ottolenghi !
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

christian309 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 pm
Drewski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 am
christian309 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 pm Onglet with Japanese Goma-Ae and yakiniku tare. But I have to admit it was from Friday

Yum! How'd you cook the beef?
It really was, but its the Yakiniku Tare that makes it so delicious, if you want i will give you the recipe.
I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks!
christian309

Post by christian309 »

Drewski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:00 pm
christian309 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 pm
Drewski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 am

Yum! How'd you cook the beef?
It really was, but its the Yakiniku Tare that makes it so delicious, if you want i will give you the recipe.
I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks!
Yakiniku Tare

1/8 Apple, grated
1 Tsp Ginger, grated
1 Garlic Clove, grated
1 tsp Shallot, grated
3 Tbs Sake
3 Tbs Soy Sauce
2 Tbs Mirin
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp White Miso
1 Tsp Rice Vinegar
pinch Bonito flakes
sesame seeds

Gently heat soy sauce, miso, sugar, sake and mirin and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour over the rest of the ingredients in a small pot and add rice vinegar and bonito. When the sauce has cooled down to room temperature filter through a sieve and add some sesame seeds. Voila

This sauce really brings out all the flavors of the beef and adds a lot of umami.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Last night chicken pot pies - I used biscuits for the topping, peeled off layers then an egg wash and they were delicious.

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

In honor of National Pizza Day I made Detroit style Pizza.

Altadan

Post by Altadan »

christian309 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Cauliflower fritters
Hummus

(Not pictured, cucumber salad/yogurt lime dressing/grilled beet sauce with honey and sherry vinegar)
I keep hearing great things about that book. I've got in-laws in Switzerland who've gone through much of the book, and they report nothing but delight (no surprise there).
Have you cooked anything from it?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

First time in a while I have zero outside duty on a weekend (no learning sous stuff, no homeless kitchen) so I am making beef stock. Did a bunch of canoes and rib bones in the oven this morning - nice and brown - have them in with mirepoix and some apple cider vinegar for the night (light simmer with the lid on). Should have some perfect stock for making French onion soup for dinner. Have some stale baguette and a nice hunk of Compte ready to go.

I tried three knives this morning - Kono HD2, Richmond Ultimatum AEBL (thinned by Chris) and a Kikuichi on the veg - all 240 gyutos and my take is Kikuichi on onions (thinnest blade), Kono on carrots, and Ultimatum on celery. I've got 4lb of nice big yellow onions for soup, so I think I'll try the Kikuichi versus a Cater Hopkins late tomorrow. Just stirred the broth, smells great, going to bed - lid back on. Whole house smells amazingly good.
christian309

Post by christian309 »

Altadan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:00 am

Cauliflower fritters
Hummus

I keep hearing great things about that book. I've got in-laws in Switzerland who've gone through much of the book, and they report nothing but delight (no surprise there).
I have, and i can write you one of my favorite desserts down. Made it last christmas: sorry, just have this picture, its a light milk based pudding on the bottom, with crushed pistachios, coconut flakes, and, what makes it so special, a sirup made from bay leafs and vanilla. It's quick to make and unlike everything you have tried so far i would guess:

Ottolenghis Isreali Sahleb:

Milk pudding:

500g milk
50g starch
80g sugar
25g dried unsweetened coconut flakes
25g roughly, unsalted chopped pistachios

Sirup:
60g sugar
1 - 1 1/2 bay leaf (as you like, the recipe says one)
1/4 vanilla pod,

For the pudding, well combine the starch with 100g of the cold milk to a paste. Gently heat up the rest of the milk with the sugar and 200g water in a pot until the sugar has dissolved. As soon as the milk starts to steam, add the mixture of milk and starch , and stir with a whisk until it really starts thickening and has the consistency of a thick pudding. Pour in 6 small pots, cover with clean film and put in the fridge for 3 hours or until the mixture is really firm.

For the sirup, combine everything in a small saucepan, add 60g water, heat up and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Take off the heat, put a lid on and let it stay there until your pudding is firm, so the sirup can absorb the flavor of the bay leaf and the vanilla pod.

For serving, just put the pistachios and the coconut over the pudding and pour the sirup over it !

I hope everything is clear. It tastes delicious
IMG_7625.jpg
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

christian309 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:50 am

I have, and i can write you one of my favorite desserts down. Made it last christmas: sorry, just have this picture, its a light milk based pudding on the bottom, with crushed pistachios, coconut flakes, and, what makes it so special, a sirup made from bay leafs and vanilla. It's quick to make and unlike everything you have tried so far i would guess:

Milk pudding:

500g milk
50g starch
80g sugar

Sirup:
60g sugar
1/4 vanilla pod,

For the pudding, well combine the starch with 100g of the cold milk to a paste. Gently heat up the rest of the milk with the sugar and 200g water in a pot until the sugar has dissolved. As soon as the milk starts to steam, add the mixture of milk and starch , and stir with a whisk until it really starts thickening and has the consistency of a thick pudding. Pour in 6 small pots, cover with clean film and put in the fridge for 3 hours or until the mixture is really firm.

For the sirup, combine everything in a small saucepan, add 60g water, heat up and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Take off the heat, put a lid on and let it stay there until your pudding is firm, so the sirup can absorb the flavor of the bay leaf and the vanilla pod.

For serving, just put the pistachios and the coconut over the pudding and pour the sirup over it !

IMG_7625.jpg
:o Looks so easy! Yum!
I might have to try it. How long does it keep?

I've had sahleb before. My father dreams about it every now and then.
Doesn't it also involve rose water (assuming one can find any available)?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
christian309

Post by christian309 »

Altadan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am
christian309 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:50 am

Milk pudding:

500g milk
50g starch
80g sugar

Sirup:
60g sugar
1/4 vanilla pod,

IMG_7625.jpg
:o Looks so easy! Yum!
I might have to try it. How long does it keep?

I've had sahleb before. My father dreams about it every now and then.
Doesn't it also involve rose water (assuming one can find any available)?
You have to try it, trust me.

You can make the pudding at least two days before and the Sirup of course lasts as long as you like. But the pistachios should be fresh so they are still crunchy. It really takes no time to make it, just heating the milk with the rest and the Sirup of course is as quickly to make.

The recipe doesn’t contain rose water, though in another dessert from ottolenghi there is rose water in it. I also have it in the fridge, here are many Turkish stores who offer it. But to be honest, I do not really like it. It actually tastes like a rose smells, very intense, almost like perfume, and not subtle at all. I like the smell, but the taste is too much, it overpowers everything else.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I will report back here after trying it.
With regards to the rose water, perhaps it can be diluted for a more subtle effect.
Then again, I may be confusing sachleb with malabi :)
christian309

Post by christian309 »

Altadan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm I will report back here after trying it.
With regards to the rose water, perhaps it can be diluted for a more subtle effect.
Yes please let me know
christian309

Post by christian309 »

Altadan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm I will report back here after trying it.
And yes, diluting it is not the worst idea; could be nice in a cocktail
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I roasted off a butternut squash, two sweet potatoes, apples (Macintosh), garlic, onion, etc. I put red wine, cider vinegar, one Macintosh apple, sliced garlic, sliced small carrot, celery, thyme, parsley, peppercorns and smoked salt in a pot and simmered that for a while then force cooled it and marinated the venison in it. After wards I blitzed it in the blender then strained into a pot and reduced that by 2/3 and seasoned and the venison and put it in to sous vide for two hours @ 130F. Once the veg was cooled some I put the stick blender to it with no liquid to make a mash save the potato that I sliced for pan sautee. When the venison was done I seared in bacon drippings while the potato and mash were in a similar situation. I thickened the gravy with corn starch after adding any bag jus and oh my what a nice meal. So worth the effort and it was fun - just me in the kitchen with jazz streaming . . . oh and wine of course.

Last edited by Mike9 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Wish I could see the picture... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Does it work now?
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Well since I figured out the image hosting problem here are the pot pies and the pizza -

datster

Post by datster »

A few more recent ones ...........

Eggs Benedict
Homemade English Muffins, home cured Canadian Bacon, Poached local free range eggs, fresh made Hollandaise, cracked pepper

Pork Tenderloin
Roasted Pork Tenderloin over pan seared asparagus and garlic mashed Yukon Golds, demi-glace

Eggs over hash
Home cured bacon hash, Poached local free range eggs

Roasted Chicken
Roasted free range chicken, garlic mashed Yukon Golds, demi-glace with balsamic roasted brussel sprouts and red onions
timos

Post by timos »

amazing food. This thread has been such an insiration. I tried making some shakshuka this past weekend. It was very tasty , I ended up putting left overs on a steak and cheese....what a combo! sorry no picture
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos