Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
Drewski

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:18 pm
slobound wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm My paella pan was my second carbon pan. The first was my wok. Definitely enjoy making & eating paella! I usually use bomba rice but if I can’t find it locally, then I’ll sub with arborio.

A treat to the eyes :)
Exactly! It's like a kaleidoscope of delicious.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Big pans,great looking food.I wish you guys were my neighbors.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Was just browsing the Blanc Creatives site (and drooling), and I saw these new pans/sheets. Looked interesting, I haven't seen something like this before from a smaller CI/CS cookwear company. Not sure when they were released, but they're sold out.

https://blanccreatives.com/products/steel-bakeware-long
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Drewski wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 pm Was just browsing the Blanc Creatives site (and drooling), and I saw these new pans/sheets. Looked interesting, I haven't seen something like this before from a smaller CI/CS cookwear company. Not sure when they were released, but they're sold out.

15.5lbs is no laughing matter...
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have the a Baking steel thats 15 lbs, makes great pizza and bread! I usually just leave it in the oven. I dont think i would use the rectangular one on your link to span two burners since there is no lip on it.
https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collection ... king-steel
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:25 pm I have the a Baking steel thats 15 lbs, makes great pizza and bread! I usually just leave it in the oven. I dont think i would use the rectangular one on your link to span two burners since there is no lip on it.
Looks nice!
I think we're gonna try a pizza in our 12.5"... small, but it's a start.

We've got a couple of perforated non-stick trays, I assume they're made with aluminum, but the heat retention of steel is bound to improve things ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Drewski wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 pm Was just browsing the Blanc Creatives site (and drooling), and I saw these new pans/sheets. Looked interesting, I haven't seen something like this before from a smaller CI/CS cookwear company. Not sure when they were released, but they're sold out.

I saw those and thought about it, but no handles was the deal breaker.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

Altadan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 pm
Bob Z wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:25 pm I have the a Baking steel thats 15 lbs, makes great pizza and bread! I usually just leave it in the oven. I dont think i would use the rectangular one on your link to span two burners since there is no lip on it.
Looks nice!
I think we're gonna try a pizza in our 12.5"... small, but it's a start.

We've got a couple of perforated non-stick trays, I assume they're made with aluminum, but the heat retention of steel is bound to improve things ;)
I believe aluminum has a higher specific heat per unit weight.

I use a custom cut aluminum block from local metal shop for a pizza stone — I believe it’s a 3/4” thick as I recall. The idea came from Modernist Cuisine (I think) which concluded that a block of metal makes the best stone.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

For those of you who were interested in a hand forged pan like Blanc Creatives, I stumbled across (don't remember how...) hand forged pans and a roaster by Santa Barbara Forge. I just pulled the trigger on their large roasting pan. While pricey, they are A LOT less expensive than Blanc Creatives. I LOVE our Blanc Creatives 11 inch skillet so I'm looking forward to receiving this. The large roaster would compare to Blanc's large saucier and I like the handles on the SBForge better.

Now I just have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to make it and ship.

https://sbforge.com/home/#kitchen.0
Santa Barbara Forge

Post by Santa Barbara Forge »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:05 am

I saw those and thought about it, but no handles was the deal breaker.
Hey Kalaeb, my company (www.sbforge.com) could potentially make something like this with ease. We'd like to know what someone like you would like in an ideal world: size, handles, etc. Let me know!
Santa Barbara Forge

slobound wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm
mauichef wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:21 pm
slobound wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Ray, have you used the Shiba pan yet? Thoughts???
Garrick...yes indeed. In fact it is my daily go to pan now. I rarely use another.
I really like my DeBuyer pans but this one just ticks all the boxes for me.

It is much lighter than other carbons due to the thinner sides and those sides are not as tall as most other pans. So unless you are cooking larger volumes it is much easier to maneuver the ingredients.
The pan seasoned up super quickly and has held the seasoning with no effort.
I use chainmail on it when the going gets tough but in most instances a paper towel is all the cleaning it needs.

At first I was concerned about the handle shape but it is very comfortable and secure feeling, plus it does not get too hot when cooking regular stuff.

Of course the design is what captivated me to begin with.
It is drop dead gorgeous! I just wish i had taken some glamor shots before I seasoned it. It is that pretty.
It's funny because when I first saw it I thought it could have been a creation from Porsche Design. It had that look.
So I was not surprised to read that Shiba had in fact designed the handle based on his Porsche 911.

Originally this was a purchase I made with some reservations, mainly price related. But 4 months later, I can say unequivocally that it was money very well spent.
Very highly recommended to any pan nut or chef looking for something extra special in the kitchen.
I knew I was going to have a love/hate relationship with your response, Ray! Now a Shiba pan is on the radar :lol:
Sorry to stumble into a conversation I was late to, but I noticed your carbon steel pans and thought I'd let you know about ours: hand-forged, carbon steel, all the ease of a nonstick and the seasoning-friendly qualities of a cast iron. Check them out: https://sbforge.com/home/#kitchen.0
Santa Barbara Forge

Cutuu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 pm
Lufty13 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm
Cutuu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Damn that looks fine!
i love cooking in that pan, but, the pan underneath is a hand forged carbon steel pan that I think is my favorite of them all. Slick as glass, use it correctly and nothing sticks. Also much lighter than cast iron. Love it.
I've been meaning to get a good carbon pan.
Try these: https://sbforge.com/home/#kitchen.0
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Santa Barbara Forge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 am
Cutuu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 pm
Lufty13 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm
i love cooking in that pan, but, the pan underneath is a hand forged carbon steel pan that I think is my favorite of them all. Slick as glass, use it correctly and nothing sticks. Also much lighter than cast iron. Love it.
I've been meaning to get a good carbon pan.
Try these: https://sbforge.com/home/#kitchen.0
Those pans are awesome! Do you guys ever do any cladding? Aluminum or copper? 
"Now remember Rodney, he who dares..."
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Santa Barbara Forge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:43 am
slobound wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm
mauichef wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Garrick...yes indeed. In fact it is my daily go to pan now. I rarely use another.
I really like my DeBuyer pans but this one just ticks all the boxes for me.

It is much lighter than other carbons due to the thinner sides and those sides are not as tall as most other pans. So unless you are cooking larger volumes it is much easier to maneuver the ingredients.
The pan seasoned up super quickly and has held the seasoning with no effort.
I use chainmail on it when the going gets tough but in most instances a paper towel is all the cleaning it needs.

At first I was concerned about the handle shape but it is very comfortable and secure feeling, plus it does not get too hot when cooking regular stuff.

Of course the design is what captivated me to begin with.
It is drop dead gorgeous! I just wish i had taken some glamor shots before I seasoned it. It is that pretty.
It's funny because when I first saw it I thought it could have been a creation from Porsche Design. It had that look.
So I was not surprised to read that Shiba had in fact designed the handle based on his Porsche 911.

Originally this was a purchase I made with some reservations, mainly price related. But 4 months later, I can say unequivocally that it was money very well spent.
Very highly recommended to any pan nut or chef looking for something extra special in the kitchen.
I knew I was going to have a love/hate relationship with your response, Ray! Now a Shiba pan is on the radar :lol:
Sorry to stumble into a conversation I was late to, but I noticed your carbon steel pans and thought I'd let you know about ours: hand-forged, carbon steel, all the ease of a nonstick and the seasoning-friendly qualities of a cast iron. Check them out: https://sbforge.com/home/#kitchen.0
Welcome to the forum!.
Your stuff looks very cool. I think you may find a few eager carbon pan buyers here ;)
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I'll give everyone a heads up on my carbon steel roaster later hopefully. I received it today.
slobound

Post by slobound »

stevem627 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 pm I'll give everyone a heads up on my carbon steel roaster later hopefully. I received it today.
Yes please! Let us know once you get a chance to use the roaster.
-- Garrick
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I've been working 12 hours a day so I go home late and took it out to look at it. It is stunning looking, and has a VERY handcrafted eye appeal. As I thought, the handles are substantial and look good. The factory seasoning appears to be just like the Blanc Creatives (bluish).

I will TRY to use it tonight and get some pics and weight.

All in all, my purchasing experience was fantastic and this is everything I hoped for.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

You mean you got one from Santa Barbara? Looking forward to your impression if so.

No carbon pan is perfect out of the box. They all need to be cooked in to take it to the max.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Yes, I bought the carbon steel roaster from Santa Barbara Forge online on Sunday night 3/3.

I told Joel from SBForge about this forum, and how I thought a lot of people would appreciate their work.

First, it is a great design. Second, the pricing is EXTREMELY good. Third, you can get them quickly -- so many are hard to get even if you want one.

Seasoning out of the box looks the same as my Blanc Creatives skillet, and the Blanc was quite usable with the factory seasoning at first unlike the Mauviel M-steel and Matfer I have purchased before.
old onion

Post by old onion »

After months of cooking with my Matfers,Debuyer's and a Mauviel,my Debuyer's took on a deep dark richer seasoning then did my Matfers.My Mauviel Omelette pan even took on a nice deep seasoning better then my Matfers.I did find that when I quit worrying about what oil or what seasoning method was best,in the end,it was just using them that got them to the non stick phase the best.The Matfers are getting there though so I'm not worried.Good things don't come easy.I use a number of oils for cooking but mainly Ghee, Alvocodo,Coconut oil,and at times even Olive Oil and even Virgin Olive Oil if that's all I have.In the morning,it's bacon and eggs and the bacon grease makes for the rest of the cooking.I love cooking in them but lately,I have had to sew my lips shut and go on the treadmill.