Saucier or Saucepan

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
keithmarder

Saucier or Saucepan

Post by keithmarder »

Hi All,

I am considering a purchase of a 3 (All-Clad) or 3.5 (Le Creuset) saucier or a 4-qt, probably Al-Clad saucepan.

Which do you prefer (or is it something off the menu)? Should I save $$$ and go Calphalon?

I am also considering a sautee pan (I don't have a good covered skillet or saucepan). Which would you go for their)?
gotmail1414

Re: Saucier or Saucepan

Post by gotmail1414 »

It depends on how you intend to use the piece and how it fits with the cookware you already own. E.g. Do you make a good amount of delicate sauces? Or are you just going to be boiling pasta? Etc.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I guess a little of everything from grits to pasta to mussells, etc.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Not so easy. You need more than one pan for what you plan to do.

Unless it's just a small amount, none will handle pasta especially well except for the 4-qt saucepan. Even then, just 1/2 pound at a time.

The saucier will work better for grits than a sauce pan. And for vegetables.

None of these will work well for mussels. I usually use an eight-quart stockpot.

A particularly versatile pan is the All Clad weeknight pan. I've used it for stews, sauteing, boiling and such. Great for mussels, though probably too big for grits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all

If I were buying a saute pan again, I'd get a carbon pan (matfer, $45) and supplement with an All-Clad 12-inch later on.
Jeffry B
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Thanks so much. This stuff can drive a guy berserk.

I do need a pan saute or skillet with a lid (now I just put another pan on it.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:59 pm Not so easy. You need more than one pan for what you plan to do.

Unless it's just a small amount, none will handle pasta especially well except for the 4-qt saucepan. Even then, just 1/2 pound at a time.

The saucier will work better for grits than a sauce pan. And for vegetables.

None of these will work well for mussels. I usually use an eight-quart stockpot.

A particularly versatile pan is the All Clad weeknight pan. I've used it for stews, sauteing, boiling and such. Great for mussels, though probably too big for grits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all

If I were buying a saute pan again, I'd get a carbon pan (matfer, $45) and supplement with an All-Clad 12-inch later on.
Thanks. You are such a great guy and always helping. I just ordered the weeknight pan. It seems like a workhorse. I will probably next get a saute pan - you know ... for the weekends. That is when I get my next BB&B coupon.

PS: I thought All-Clad was one of the exclusions for their coupons. I thought wrong.
dc2123

Post by dc2123 »

I have over a dozen all clad pans and love them. And somehow (which I forgot now) I was added to their All Clad VIP seconds sales. The majority of my pots and pans have been through this sale which occurs maybe 4-6 times a year. The discounts typically range from 33%-80% off and the cosmetic damage has not been noticeable on any one of my pans.

It may be worth googling all clad vip second sales..
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

dc2123 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:15 am I have over a dozen all clad pans and love them. And somehow (which I forgot now) I was added to their All Clad VIP seconds sales. The majority of my pots and pans have been through this sale which occurs maybe 4-6 times a year. The discounts typically range from 33%-80% off and the cosmetic damage has not been noticeable on any one of my pans.

It may be worth googling all clad vip second sales..
Thanks a lot
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

All Clads are worth the cost, but I bought every single one of mine (15 in total) on sale or via eBay. I often looked for certain pans on Amazon by clicking on the used and new section that follows the item description. Often I'd get a returned pan or one with a dented box for 30% off.

Turns out that I don't use most of them as much as I expected, though. I use my 12-inch skillet a fair amount, mostly for chicken, and I am glad I have a 14-inch skillet for crowds. My weeknight pan, 8- and 6-qt stockpots and a 5-qt saute pan also get used enough to justify the cost.

I don't use my smaller sauce pans much and could probably get by with either one 3-qt saucier or sauce pan.

The even heating and consistent cooking I expected. One of the biggest surprises to me is how well they clean compared to other tri-clad pans or anodized aluminum.

I wouldn't use them to cook stuff at high heat, like steaks. Carbon or cast iron do a better job and stainless is a PITA to clean after that sort of thing. Always have to pull out my Barkeepers friend.
Jeffry B
dc2123

Post by dc2123 »

Speak of the devil
Attachments
6ECA88B9-7731-4F8B-89E5-BF3D2BA7C7C7.png
gotmail1414

Post by gotmail1414 »

dc2123 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 pm Speak of the devil
Nice! I wonder for how long the most "desirable" items will be available once the sale begins?
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

dc2123 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 pm Speak of the devil
Thanks.