Salt suggestions

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
nakneker

Salt suggestions

Post by nakneker »

Simple question guys. I have a few kinds of salt on hand but you guys know more than I do. What’s some of your favorite salts? Can you find them online? Online works best for me, my little part of the world has a limited selection. I have some Himalayan pink salt, kosher and some regular white salt on hand. Lookin to try some salts.

Thanks!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

Re: Salt suggestions

Post by 5698k »

gladius

Post by gladius »

I use Redmond Real Sea Salt (UT) the most to get the high mineral content. Maldon Sea Salt Flakes of course, Celtic Sea Salt Pink Sea Salt is also good. Bitterman's Fleur de Sel - Sea Salt is good too as well as The Spice Lab Pink Himalayan Salt. All available online.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gladius wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am I use Redmond Real Sea Salt (UT) the most to get the high mineral content. Maldon Sea Salt Flakes of course, Celtic Sea Salt Pink Sea Salt is also good. Bitterman's Fleur de Sel - Sea Salt is good too as well as The Spice Lab Pink Himalayan Salt. All available online.
Bingo! Thank you Gladius!
Interesting, never seen those. Have you used them?

Post by 5698k »

I have, they work nicely. Explore the site, there’s all kinds of salt available.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

+1 on the Maldon sea salt flakes. While living in England I discovered it in the shop by accident, it was the same price as any other salt. Used this salt exclusively for the year. After looking into it, I found out how well liked it is worldwide and brought several 500g boxes home when I moved back to Canada. Way too expensive for me to use all the time here, just use it as a treat to finish grilled meats. It is available as a 3kg tub though, might get this and be done with my conservation efforts.
gladius

Post by gladius »

nakneker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am
gladius wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am I use Redmond Real Sea Salt (UT) the most to get the high mineral content. Maldon Sea Salt Flakes of course, Celtic Sea Salt Pink Sea Salt is also good. Bitterman's Fleur de Sel - Sea Salt is good too as well as The Spice Lab Pink Himalayan Salt. All available online.
---
Not sure which Kosher salt brand you're using but you should try Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt or at least compare to Mortons.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gladius wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm
nakneker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am
---
Not sure which Kosher salt brand you're using but you should try Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt or at least compare to Mortons.
I’m using a cheap brand, pretty sure I bought it at Costco. Ill Be ordering 3-4 of the types mentioned, super helpful. We all use Salt for everything, I wish I would have asked a long time ago. Thanks again.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

All the products at Jacobson are great. They have flavored, etc and and their flake sea salt is a great finisher. Serious Eats, I believe, just did a piece on how to make your own sea salt flakes
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

keithmarder wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm All the products at Jacobson are great. They have flavored, etc and and their flake sea salt is a great finisher. Serious Eats, I believe, just did a piece on how to make your own sea salt flakes
+1 on Jacobson salts. I even keep a little tin at my desk at work. There is so much good salt out there (black, grey, pink, yellow, and others - flakes, fine and coarse grain). They all have their uses, but for pure salt taste I go to Jacobson or Maldon (new versus old). Maldon has been around forever, first sea salt I ever saw (60's) and what my mom learned from watching Julia Child. Still what I see as sea salt taste
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

I love this smoked salt. You can get it in a variety of different woods:

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Besides Koser I use Pink Himalayan, red and black Hawaiian, Cypress flake, apple and alder smoked salts, and a couple of others.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Diamond Crystal is the industry standard for kosher salt. It craps all over Morton's kosher, which has huge crystals that make it easy to overseason food (and take forever to dissolve in liquid). Diamond Crystal's fluffier, smaller crystals are much easier to dose out evenly (and to dissolve quickly).

Except for flavored/smoked salts, the primary reason to buy fancier salts is the texture. I'm partial to big flakey finishing salts like Maldon, just because the crunch is so nice. Then there are colored salts that are useful primarily as garnish. Black salt or pink salt on fish/scallops is beautiful. Smoked salt can also be useful when brining. Not all smoked salt is equally smokey -- Maldon, for instance, is kinda weak (but it sure looks pretty). I have some "viking" smoked salt from The Spice Lab that has a very similar texture to smoked Maldon, but smells and tastes like an actual bonfire. It's smoked for 10+ days, and tastes like it. I've also got some flavored Japanese salts that are nice to finish grilled meats... an umami salt that's harvested from kelp (free dose of MSG from the kombu) and some yuzu flavored salt that's nice on white meat chicken.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

btbyrd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm Diamond Crystal is the industry standard for kosher salt. It craps all over Morton's kosher, which has huge crystals that make it easy to overseason food (and take forever to dissolve in liquid). Diamond Crystal's fluffier, smaller crystals are much easier to dose out evenly (and to dissolve quickly).

Except for flavored/smoked salts, the primary reason to buy fancier salts is the texture. I'm partial to big flakey finishing salts like Maldon, just because the crunch is so nice. Then there are colored salts that are useful primarily as garnish. Black salt or pink salt on fish/scallops is beautiful. Smoked salt can also be useful when brining. Not all smoked salt is equally smokey -- Maldon, for instance, is kinda weak (but it sure looks pretty). I have some "viking" smoked salt from The Spice Lab that has a very similar texture to smoked Maldon, but smells and tastes like an actual bonfire. It's smoked for 10+ days, and tastes like it. I've also got some flavored Japanese salts that are nice to finish grilled meats... an umami salt that's harvested from kelp (free dose of MSG from the kombu) and some yuzu flavored salt that's nice on white meat chicken.
More to check out, thanks. I really should have been checking into better salts long ago, missed the boat on that one. I’m going to be putting two prime rib roasts in the Sous Video on Sunday. The Maldon came in and I plan using it for that, some smoked salts would be fun too, next time!
gladius

Post by gladius »

And don't forget there are other "salt" alternatives...I use Miso paste to flavor and salt soups and stews as well as Ume Plum Vinegar to both add acidic and salt flavor...

https://www.edenfoods.com/store/ume-plu ... rized.html
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

nakneker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm
btbyrd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm Diamond Crystal is the industry standard for kosher salt. It craps all over Morton's kosher, which has huge crystals that make it easy to overseason food (and take forever to dissolve in liquid). Diamond Crystal's fluffier, smaller crystals are much easier to dose out evenly (and to dissolve quickly).

More to check out, thanks. I really should have been checking into better salts long ago, missed the boat on that one. I’m going to be putting two prime rib roasts in the Sous Video on Sunday. The Maldon came in and I plan using it for that, some smoked salts would be fun too, next time!
Just a note on smoked salts... I haven't tried that many of them, but I've noticed that they seem to come in 2 different categories of flavour: bonfire, and fake bacon. If you can, try before you buy. Or if you can get a recommendation, that works too.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Similar to Gladius, I like the Redmond. Maybe just developed a flavor for it growing up in Utah, but it is my go to for personal seasoning. https://realsalt.com
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Just for fun, here’s a photo of some smoked Maldon I took when playing around with a new camera lens.
D17A961F-A5A2-44C8-B5EB-08EF52376CC4.jpeg
Crunchy.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

nakneker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm More to check out, thanks. I really should have been checking into better salts long ago, missed the boat on that one. I’m going to be putting two prime rib roasts in the Sous Video on Sunday. The Maldon came in and I plan using it for that, some smoked salts would be fun too, next time!
I'm right there with Sean, I missed the boat on better salts too. I'm really enjoying this tread, glad you started it! Have some Maldon on order and now looking at some smoked salts.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm
nakneker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm More to check out, thanks. I really should have been checking into better salts long ago, missed the boat on that one. I’m going to be putting two prime rib roasts in the Sous Video on Sunday. The Maldon came in and I plan using it for that, some smoked salts would be fun too, next time!
I'm right there with Sean, I missed the boat on better salts too. I'm really enjoying this tread, glad you started it! Have some Maldon on order and now looking at some smoked salts.
Funny how something like salt, a basic for just about everything food, can get overlooked. All the suggestions are appreciated.