To sheath or not to sheath...

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Josh Runyon

To sheath or not to sheath...

Post by Josh Runyon »

Any preference from you experts on storing knives with or without the sheath on? Does the metal need to breath?
Kalaeb

Re: To sheath or not to sheath...

Post by Kalaeb »

Short term, for sure. Long term I put a light layer of oil on it and store in sheath. Lots of people caution against it due to the potential of trapping moisture in the sheath, but I have never had an issue.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I do the same exact thing. It's possible the humidity where your knives are stored could be an issue though. I'm in humid Florida, but I have the air conditioning or heater set to a relatively comfortable level year round for my dog. So in the summer it never gets very humid where my knives are.

I'm also paranoid, so I always dry with two towels; first a good cotton one then a microfiber one. Then I let the knife sit in my kitchen's drying area (where I have a drying rack for pots/plates and drying pad) for a while until I put it away. This is true even for knives that live on the magnetic rack without saya and for stainless steel as well.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

I prefer a saya which offers some air circulation and allows vci module in the drawer to work for less frequently used knives.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

For me sheaths are a knife killer. They do trap moisture where I live. I use sayas or gun paper and lightly coat the blade with camellia oil.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

mauichef wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm For me sheaths are a knife killer. They do trap moisture where I live. I use sayas or gun paper and lightly coat the blade with camellia oil.
Where do you store long term?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:22 pm
mauichef wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm For me sheaths are a knife killer. They do trap moisture where I live. I use sayas or gun paper and lightly coat the blade with camellia oil.
Where do you store long term?
I have a couple of drawers that I put my less used knives in. The drawers have VCI cartridges in them.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

What exactly do you mean by sheaths?

I use edge guards or sayas for regularly used knives that are stored in a drawer. For long term storage(a month+) I use VCI paper and/or a light coat of camellia oil. These knives are generally stored in a dining room buffet in their original boxes too.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Josh Runyon

Post by Josh Runyon »

I was just referring to the CKTG edge guards that they come with.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Josh Runyon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm I was just referring to the CKTG edge guards that they come with.
Lol, in that case disregard my comment.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Same like Maui, any carbon I left in those black felt knife guards has come out with rust :\
Now when I use them to store knives I'm not using long-term (pregnant wife=no sushi=no need for yanagiba), I just rub them with a little oil. Works well.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
timc247

Post by timc247 »

always sheath when not in use.