Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
lsboogy

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by lsboogy »

old onion wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:07 am After months of cooking with my Matfers,Debuyer's and a Mauviel,my Debuyer's took on a deep dark richer seasoning then did my Matfers.My Mauviel Omelette pan even took on a nice deep seasoning better then my Matfers.I did find that when I quit worrying about what oil or what seasoning method was best,in the end,it was just using them that got them to the non stick phase the best.The Matfers are getting there though so I'm not worried.Good things don't come easy.I use a number of oils for cooking but mainly Ghee, Alvocodo,Coconut oil,and at times even Olive Oil and even Virgin Olive Oil if that's all I have.In the morning,it's bacon and eggs and the bacon grease makes for the rest of the cooking.I love cooking in them but lately,I have had to sew my lips shut and go on the treadmill.
I think you found the real thing onion. My mom used her pans (I have five of them, along with a few others I purchased over the years) with any old oil - mostly olive oil, but crisco and Wesson went in there at times too. Mine (mostly just debuyer and Matfer) are all complete nonstick pans with deep black color from years and years of use. Cook on coals, gas, whatever, they just keep performing and the older they get the better they are. Cleaned only with salt and paper towels as long as I can remember. The French did not have anything but olive and veg oil a couple hundred years ago, and every French kitchen had carbon steel pans. We want to make the things into some sort of science experiment with data, they have been the same for hundreds of years with only folklore as to how to keep them nonstick and lasting for lifetimes.
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm
old onion wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:07 am After months of cooking with my Matfers,Debuyer's and a Mauviel,my Debuyer's took on a deep dark richer seasoning then did my Matfers.My Mauviel Omelette pan even took on a nice deep seasoning better then my Matfers.I did find that when I quit worrying about what oil or what seasoning method was best,in the end,it was just using them that got them to the non stick phase the best.The Matfers are getting there though so I'm not worried.Good things don't come easy.I use a number of oils for cooking but mainly Ghee, Alvocodo,Coconut oil,and at times even Olive Oil and even Virgin Olive Oil if that's all I have.In the morning,it's bacon and eggs and the bacon grease makes for the rest of the cooking.I love cooking in them but lately,I have had to sew my lips shut and go on the treadmill.
I think you found the real thing onion. My mom used her pans (I have five of them, along with a few others I purchased over the years) with any old oil - mostly olive oil, but crisco and Wesson went in there at times too. Mine (mostly just debuyer and Matfer) are all complete nonstick pans with deep black color from years and years of use. Cook on coals, gas, whatever, they just keep performing and the older they get the better they are. Cleaned only with salt and paper towels as long as I can remember. The French did not have anything but olive and veg oil a couple hundred years ago, and every French kitchen had carbon steel pans. We want to make the things into some sort of science experiment with data, they have been the same for hundreds of years with only folklore as to how to keep them nonstick and lasting for lifetimes.
Agreed,it seems some of us try to make things a science when it is not and only plain old common sense prevails and comes out the winner.I wonder what my Grandmother would say to me if she knew that I worried at first,just how and what to use to season a pan.Her cast irons seen a lot of lard and hard use.My Dad always told me that I have to learn things the hard way.He was right.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I had a chance to use the roaster a bit yesterday. I did a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches and a quick couple of fried eggs. I just used lots of butter and nothing stuck at all.

The piece is exactly what I wanted. You can look at it and immediately tell it's a hand-crafted one off piece. I have to say the handles are gorgeous but massive. The handles are 7 inches wide which will make handling easy with gloves for oven use. This is built like a tank and would be great to take camping and throw on a coal fire -- it would look at home there. The weight is heavy due to the handle size -- its 7.5 pounds and 13.5 inches wide with a 9.75 flat surface and a 2 inch side height. I think it would work well as a small shield. ;)

The pictures on their website show the roaster better than I could. I would say that the hammering on the sides is a little more pronounced than my Blanc Creatives skillet, but I actually like that.

Overall this compares to the Blanc Creatives large saucier at a MUCH lower price. If the weight and handle size are what you want I don't think you will be unhappy with your decision. After all you could buy this and the large frying pan for pretty much the cost of the Blanc large Saucier.

This is an heirloom piece IMHO.

BTW I have absolutely no ties with SBForge I just saw their Youtube video and went to their website and ordered.

The entire buying experience was fantastic and I had my new roaster in 10 days.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

This thread has been quiet for a while, so I thought I would revive it with a "discovery" of sorts -- you guys can tell me if it's potentially real or a total coincidence.

I recently had the misfortune of warping 2 pans. They are both relatively large (round 32cm and oval with 36cm being the longer dimension) but not super large.

I've replaced them and their replacements are holding up much better.

Here is the "discovery" -- for both pans that ended up warping, I seasoned them in my smaller oven initially. For the replacements (and all my other pans that are also fine, though they only run to 30 cm in size), I seasoned them in my larger oven initially. The difference in the 2 ovens is that the smaller one reaches 550F in about 10 minutes whereas the larger one takes closer to 30 minutes. The fast preheat is one of the selling points of the smaller oven (and why I tend to use it more for dishes that fit).

Is it possible that the slower initial temperature conditioning helps relieve stress in the steel? Or was this a total coincidence? I know heating followed by slow even cooling can relieve stress in metals, but I envisioned much higher temperatures were needed. ...Though 550F is apparently enough to turn the steel blue (on the bottom where I did not season, the color is quite blue).

The only other common factor in these 2 pans were they are double loop handles (which is why they fit my smaller oven) -- but I can't see handles making a difference.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Cooked a 3ish pound chucked on a bed of broccoli in my De Buyer country pan. Worked lovely.
Attachments
20190530_204835.jpg
cpentak4

Post by cpentak4 »

I could never figure out how to get a good seasoning on my debuyers. The coating on the handle of my 12in melted during my latest attempt... Anyway, and resources/links for good methods for seasoning? I think I may strip them and try again.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

cpentak4 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 pm I could never figure out how to get a good seasoning on my debuyers. The coating on the handle of my 12in melted during my latest attempt... Anyway, and resources/links for good methods for seasoning? I think I may strip them and try again.
Sir,
This thread contains just about eeeeevery variation on seasoning, ad nauseum, hahahaha
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:20 pm
cpentak4 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 pm I could never figure out how to get a good seasoning on my debuyers. The coating on the handle of my 12in melted during my latest attempt... Anyway, and resources/links for good methods for seasoning? I think I may strip them and try again.
Sir,
This thread contains just about eeeeevery variation on seasoning, ad nauseum, hahahaha
There's this perfect new technique I just heard about... :lol:
cpentak4

Post by cpentak4 »

Sir,

Cool, I'll take a look through. Sent that quickly while skimming these forums at work. My bad!
cpentak4

Post by cpentak4 »

Drewski wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:52 pm
Sir,
There's this perfect new technique I just heard about... :lol:
Lol
old onion

Post by old onion »

Stuff is going to stick, no matter what.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

If you go to the first page of this thread, Lufty13 gives the name Newguist forge. Great carbon skillets that are ready to cook before they are shipped.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Wjhunt wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:10 am If you go to the first page of this thread, Lufty13 gives the name Newguist forge. Great carbon skillets that are ready to cook before they are shipped.
I purchased one of his crepe pans as a result of this thread and really enjoy it. Big +1 to Newquist. I have been eyeing his wok for my next purchase.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I think I caved and jumped on this bandwagon in November with a 12.5" deBuyer, and it was cooking/cleaning nicely by January. Now some six months later it is legend, and can take on scrambled eggs as well.

Using a little more butter is to be expected at first.
Those forged pans look real sweet too. If they're thinner on the sides, I'd say they're worth the price (with a nice hand crafted look to boot!)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Just pulled the trigger on a Blanc Creatives 11 inch copper pan. Shipping alone cost more than my De Buyer pans. I'm too scared to look at what the damage was with the exchange rate.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

On another note, I've been eyeing a Canadian brand of CS pans, Willow Creek Forge. Prices on the website are in CAD, a 12 inch pan shipped works out to be around $180 USD. Looks like there is a hammered finish to the base, curious to see how that would affect seasoning formation/ stickage. Cool looking braided handle too.

http://www.willowcreekforge.com/home.as ... shop--pans
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Drewski wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 pm On another note, I've been eyeing a Canadian brand of CS pans, Willow Creek Forge. Prices on the website are in CAD, a 12 inch pan shipped works out to be around $180 USD. Looks like there is a hammered finish to the base, curious to see how that would affect seasoning formation/ stickage. Cool looking braided handle too.

http://www.willowcreekforge.com/home.as ... shop--pans
That 12" inch looks real sweet!
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

We use an 11 inch Blanc Creatives skillet and some Matfer and Mauviel skillets, but our favorite has been the Santa Barbara Forge large roaster. The SBForge offerings are beautiful and cost is reasonable. They come pretty much ready for immediate use and you don’t have to get in any waiting list to get one.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

stevem627 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:26 pm We use an 11 inch Blanc Creatives skillet and some Matfer and Mauviel skillets, but our favorite has been the Santa Barbara Forge large roaster. The SBForge offerings are beautiful and cost is reasonable. They come pretty much ready for immediate use and you don’t have to get in any waiting list to get one.
Nice stuff! How wide, lip to lip, is your SBForge roaster? I can't find that information on their website.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

The dimensions are in one of the illustration shots and you have to look at the pictures to get to it.

It is 13.5 inches lip to lip with a 9.5 inch bottom. It's comparable to the Blanc Creative Saucier but WAY less money. We like it being 2 inches deep, and the handles are really good looking.