Condiments

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
wphill

Condiments

Post by wphill »

We like having condiments in the frig, ready to go for our imagination and next meal. And, our knives are the essential tool. No need for a messy food processor. Lately, the headliner has been an olive tapenade. Two different knives are involved.
The 210 mazaki old profile cleans the leaves off the stems and minces fresh parsley. Next, it minces any one of three bottles of olives. Personally I like green for snacking and black or kalamata for mixing with food. Then,I use the Vietnamese santuko for mincing a variety of nuts...hazlenut, almond, and walnut. Rock chop with impunity. Abuse fails to harm this blade. All are then blended with fish sauce, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, garlic, mustard powder, pepper, aronia berries, and olive oil. I’m sure that I’m just rationalizing....could not have accomplished to my satisfaction without just the right tools!
lsboogy

Re: Condiments

Post by lsboogy »

I need to try your tapenade - I've always done traditional (olives, garlic, capers, anchovies, lemon juice, oil and s&p). I love a good tapenade and many times just but they stuff at a deli (Lunds is the best up here).
wphill

Post by wphill »

It’s about our knives. I sometimes ask them ,"what does your appetite call for today?"
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

wphill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 am It’s about our knives. I sometimes ask them ,"what does your appetite call for today?"
Quote of the day!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

You got my appetite going, man. I haven't had a good olive tapenade in too long!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
wphill

Post by wphill »

Fish sauce is a standin for anchovies. Redboat.
Just a little will do ya. Very salty.
Aronia berries were only available due to my wife....kind of a health foodie. They give a good tang.
Just finished it off with rice and and thin sliced lamb shoulder chop. Cold.
Previously, matched with various cheeses. Makes me want to drink!

If I was closer to the coast, would wed with shrimp.

Fwiw...I wonder if there could be an extended thread or sub forum for a collection of recipes that are knife work intense dedicated to what can be stored in the frig and then used as desired, meal to meal.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

My knife had a very fresh pineapple for lunch with some fresh strawberries and a few oranges off our tree - topped with a dab of vanilla yogurt!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Damn Bill, I need to come over for lunch again soon! Your cooking is so much better than mine. :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.