W2 Guyto Passaround

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Carter

W2 Guyto Passaround

Post by Carter »

This is the knife several members expressed interest in trying in a passaround. I shipped it to Andrew (Isboogy) earlier this week for the start of the passaround trial.

These are the members that signed up, I can include 1-2 more. If you are on the list below or are interested, please email me with your full name, shipping information, and phone #.
My email is: carter@ciibladeworks.com

Isboogy
Cutuu
Bluenoser87
Slickmamba
Ut-ron
Maui
Jeff B

Please use this forum thread to ask any questions or post feedback regarding the knife.

[/quote]
mauichef

Re: W2 Guyto Passaround

Post by mauichef »

Yes please Carter :D
Carter

Post by Carter »

mauichef wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 pm Yes please Carter :D
Added you to the list.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I already got one:)
Carter

Post by Carter »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:17 pm I already got one:)
Not this big!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'd like to give is a spin.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Carter wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:30 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:17 pm I already got one:)
Not this big!
How big is this one?
--- Steve
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’ll wait for my very own Carter Hopkins.... which isn’t far off😁
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:08 pm I'd like to give is a spin.
Jeff you are in....thx for giving it a try.

I am closing the passaround list for this knife...I'll do another in the future.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Quick review of the W2 blade. It was used hard for tons of prep. I think the edge was a bit less acute than my other CHII knife, as it wedged a little on carrots. But it held the edge through a very long prep shift and my arm was not hurting, nor was my hand. Comfortable and all edges well relieved, so hand has no problems.

I ran it through:

Half box of onions (only did a few as the knife was starting to show color already - figured it is not my knife and I did not want to get it more so for next in line on this pass around). It wedges a little on horizontal, but performed excellently. Spine on W2 is 2.28mm, spine on 52100 is 2.52mm, so it did go through on horizontals better than the 52100 blade.

2 boxes carrots, 1 sliced thin on diagonal, other match sticked - did use my 52100 as a comparison, the 52100 knife is a bit less push (I sharpened it and stropped it to 9 degrees per side), but this knife seems to have less convex on the grind - but Rick gave it a try and says it is a great example of a true chef knife.

1 box button mushrooms, sliced thin, absolute rocket on these things

2 boxes cauliflower (another hard veg) which it dispatched eagerly and is one of the better blades on this stuff I've ever tried - very stiff knife - kind of like a Kikuichi, much stiffer than the thickness would hold belief.

1 box zucchini - simple slice for sauté - super fast pull cutter, slices were damn near exact same thickness - got major praise for 2mm thick slices from Rick

About 50 red chilis - super thin chop was a blast

1 box green onions for garnish (cut off the root, cut them all the same length on green end) - chop and push cuts - did three bunches at a time - blade flew through them

Overall impression of the knife is the thing is a kitchen beast. Needs a bit more convex on the grind (the 52100 is more convex). Very stout blade with a great profile - did push and pull cuts, a little rocking (mushrooms), and some chopping. It ended the day still sharp (did strop it this morning a few quick times on 1 micron balsa), and was comfortable in my hand for one of the longer prep sessions. It feels like I am using a very light powerful blade, and the balance point is just a bit farther forward than I really like (I prefer about the insertion point of the handle or just a little bit back of that - blade light just a bit), but th thing goes where you aim it every time - no wander whatsoever (common problem with my line knife - why I don't use it for prep any more - it will drift a little in veg - not much, but a little bit - okay for last minute serve prep, but slices are not always exact).

I could see this knife being used by a chef. As a veg slicer, it made all slices even and straight, doing cauliflower flowerettes it gives great confidence, mushrooms melt before it, and I don't remember doing a better job on match sticks. Maybe I'm getting better, but this knife would be a great thing in the hands of a serious chef. Rick loved it, Jen loves it, and after only a long day with it, I would buy the thing.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Nice review! Makes me even more anxious to get mine. I have test driven 3 of Carter’s 52100 gyutos, each having a slightly different grind. They ranged from laser to middleweight. While all performed admirably, I gravitated more towards his middleweight grind, which is what I ended up ordering for the diff hardened W2.

Any chance you could post a choil shot of the knife?
--- Steve
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

pd7077 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 pm Nice review! Makes me even more anxious to get mine. I have test driven 3 of Carter’s 52100 gyutos, each having a slightly different grind. They ranged from laser to middleweight. While all performed admirably, I gravitated more towards his middleweight grind, which is what I ended up ordering for the diff hardened W2.

Any chance you could post a choil shot of the knife?
I’ll leave that to someone else. I’m not allowed to use photo sharing sites because of what I do for a living (aerospace)
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Waiting for a response from Cutuu - still have knife. It's packed up and ready to go
Carter

Post by Carter »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm Waiting for a response from Cutuu - still have knife. It's packed up and ready to go
Hi Andrew....sent you an email and PM on this.

CWH
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm Waiting for a response from Cutuu - still have knife. It's packed up and ready to go
Oh, I thought it was coming my way next?
Carter

Post by Carter »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:30 pm
HI Jon,

I have sent Andrew an email & Pm.....it is going to (Ron Hults, in Utah) Ut_ron...then to you in CA....then to Ray in HI, then back to the contig states.

I probably should have been more clear and public, I just emailed Andrew with the forwarding instructions and did not post the order here.

Carter
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Carter wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:29 pm
Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:30 pm
HI Jon,

I have sent Andrew an email & Pm.....it is going to (Ron Hults, in Utah) Ut_ron...then to you in CA....then to Ray in HI, then back to the contig states.

I probably should have been more clear and public, I just emailed Andrew with the forwarding instructions and did not post the order here.

Carter
No worries! Thanks for the update.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Just got word from Andrew, that knife will be headed to Ron shortly...then to Jon...then Ray....then to I will figure out. Will be more visible here with the order.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Can’t wait to get it 👏
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm becoming a CHII fan - the knife is one of the better pull cutters I've ever tried, and is set up as a great Sab profile with enough everything. Carter - I'm in for a 245-255 50mm tall 52100 blade with a nice etch/patina for my Xmas present. Sab profile too.