W2 Guyto Passaround

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Cutuu

Re: W2 Guyto Passaround

Post by Cutuu »

Wait a minute, I'm still in on this one, right? I somehow missed iso's message. For some reason I was thinking that it was already on the way.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 am Wait a minute, I'm still in on this one, right? I somehow missed iso's message. For some reason I was thinking that it was already on the way.
Yes, you are still on the list...the knife is doing the west coast tour, before coming back east.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Received the knife today in great shape will start playing with it.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Carter wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:18 am
Cutuu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 am Wait a minute, I'm still in on this one, right? I somehow missed iso's message. For some reason I was thinking that it was already on the way.
Yes, you are still on the list...the knife is doing the west coast tour, before coming back east.
I forgot you told me about tbe switch. I thonk it was on an email, thats what throuhj me off when i was looking.
Ut_ron

Ron’s comments on W2 Guyto Passaround

Post by Ut_ron »

First impressions wow a great looking knife. I have never used one of his knives before but based upon other comments I expected great fit and finished. Well it is all of that and more then I expected.

Home cook so didn’t really put this through a heavy work out. I did use it for several dinners and one for 16.

I found the profile to work very well for how I use a knife. Nice tip that was easy to do small cuts given its size.

Weight: 197g 6.9oz
Height: 45mm at the heel
Length 246mm, choil to tip
Length 410mm, total

Balance point is right at the neck. Makes the knife feel lighter than the actual weight. I was surprised when I put it on the scale.

Interesting patina getting started.

Hamon is nice but not very pronounced. For cosmetic reasons I would of liked it to show more.

Handle is gorgeous.

Choil shot

Carrots was a breeze. Did not have any large but don’t expect to have anything but smooth cuts on them.

Potatoes did ride up the blade but shook off easily.

I believe anybody would be happy with this knife.

Thanks Carter for the opportunity to play with one of your knives 👍👏.

Off to Jon in Cupertina in sunny California 😀.

And I am off to Sedona to celebrate our 50th wedding 💒.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Knife arrived safely! Just in time for a bunch of ribeye tonight! I noticed there’s another thread in the passaround section. Are we posting here or there or both?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Both or either.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Pretty solid workout so far. It has a nice blue patina now courtesy of the ribeye. The heel height is lower than I’d probably choose but that’s just personal preference. So far I’m impressed!

I’m a little curious about the profile. It has a bit of a back belly at the heel that I thought might be troublesome but in use but I really don’t notice it at all. I’ll update as I use it more.
2DD41285-9F62-4A17-843F-8C4B5A24084B.jpeg
B308F888-76BA-4589-9DB9-E839E471B9FD.jpeg
6CFD6580-08C2-4960-8D5B-CFE4AF9910E9.jpeg
Carter

Post by Carter »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm Knife arrived safely! Just in time for a bunch of ribeye tonight! I noticed there’s another thread in the passaround section. Are we posting here or there or both?
Please post here.

CWH
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Looks like a beautiful knife to try on a passaround enjoy.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

This is on the way to Ray. I thoroughly enjoyed using this one. I’d prefer something a little taller with more of a flat spot but that’s just me. The grind on this is pretty thin but has just enough of a subtle convex shape to give pretty solid food release. The balance is nice on this one too. Thanks for including me on this Carter!

Here’s a pic post ribeye
433A4B80-A77B-4B8C-845C-9641F0BB0A96.jpeg
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

On its way to Jeff.
Loved it.
Write up to follow!
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Wow looks like an awesome knife the review sounded nice too, me might have to look in to them before making a decision in July.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Enjoyed my time with this knife. It performed exceptionally well. Just fell through soft veggies and slayed a head of cabbage. Root vegetables were no match for this knife either. The profile "looked" a little wonky to me when it arrived but it was very nimble, comfortable and precise during use. It did a good job slicing a pork tenderloin too, just a good all around knife. And of course there is the awesome Carter handle, beautiful and functional as always!

Thanks for the opportunity to test drive your work Carter!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Is it too late to participate?
I hear (and see) so much praise for your work, I'd love to handle an American blade if I could.
Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Carter

Post by Carter »

Altadan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm Is it too late to participate?
I hear (and see) so much praise for your work, I'd love to handle an American blade if I could.
Dan
Hi Dan,

It is not too late...the knife has been on an extended test with the current user...I can ask him to send to you. Pls email me your shipping info and I will make sure it heads your way, my email: carter@ciibladeworks.com.

Thanks for your interest.

Carter
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Carter wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:16 pm
Altadan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm Is it too late to participate?
Dan
Hi Dan,

It is not too late...the knife has been on an extended test with the current user...I can ask him to send to you. Pls email me your shipping info and I will make sure it heads your way, my email: carter@ciibladeworks.com.

Thanks for your interest.

Carter
Thank you kindly!
Sent
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Disappointed that there hasn’t been more comments on this awesome knife. I know I certainly love using it. My family wouldn’t even touch it as it was so beautiful.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Knife arrived safe and sound a couple days ago.

In all my passarounds, and the few knives I've owned, I have never held (or beheld) such a beautiful handle :o
Also, the balance on the who knife is really a marvel. And, rocks like a baby, and guilotines like a French revolutionary. Lastly, slays shrooms like champ.
Can't say much more now, but will have some more later on.
Thanks for the opportunity
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

So sorry to all...especially Carter for not adding some thoughts about this wonderful knife.

I am not a huge fan of very thin knives or pointy profiles, so I was not prepared for the revelation that this knife was when I eventually got to try it.
I have been watching Carter's growth over the past year or so as a smith and it has been a fascinating and inspiring journey.

I did try one of his earlier knives bit it left me wanting especially in terms of the profile. Simply was not my cup of tea.

Then along came this beauty.

My first reaction on using it was...it's too thin and pointy for me!!!!
But within a day or so I was reaching for it every time in needed to cut something. Not because it was a pass around and I had to do it. No, because it just rang my bell. Damn I fell hard for this blade.

It didn't matter what I was processing, this gyuto just sang a song that made me smile every time.

Of course Carter's attention to fit and finish of both blade and handle are a given. He is a master and it shows in every respect. But this thing performed as well as it looks and even bested some of my favorite knives.

The balance, the rigidity of the blade, the height, just everything fell into my personal taste place.

The timing was perfect for this pass around as I was making Sevin's bi-monthly stew. It is the most food processing I do on a regular basis and a perfect test for a knife. Hard and soft produce of many kinds. Not exactly restaurant quantities, but more than your average home meal!

Much has already been written about this knife so I will not regurgitate the excellent words already put to electrons. Suffice it to say, this blade took on every ingredient with nary a whimper. Those sweet potatoes just fell apart under the stare of the edge. Not a crack or a sound of any distress. Just an easy clean slice. Same with the cabbage, carrots and other hard and semi hard stuff. And they were left on the board not the blade face. Quite the feat with a knife this thin.

There are many lasers that I have tried that just fail for me due to the combination of super thin grinds and light weight. They feel wimpish in hand and when facing hard produce, just shrink away from the challenge. Not so this light saber of a knife.

Honestly, I have never looked forward to using such a thin blade with the enthusiasm I felt about this one.
In fact when it came time to move it on, I asked for an extension. I really did not want my time with it to end.

So....all I can say in summation is that this was a revelation. I did fear having to write a less than enthusiastic report about a blade made by a good friend of mine. I did fear the usual dislike for lasers and pointy profiles! But things could not have been more dramatically opposite to those feelings.

I enjoyed every minute, every slice, every look. This is a knife that thrilled me and one that I will eventually have to add to my arsenal.

Well done Carter. You have made me a believer and true fan.
Mahalo for the opportunity.