Shibata Aogami Super Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Bear007

Shibata Aogami Super Gyuto

Post by Bear007 »

I've been looking at these for a while now, I just noticed that there seems to be a difference in tip shape between Marks photos and his video review, anyone have any insight in this, I'm assuming the straight tip is the newer design.

Jeff B

Re: Shibata Aogami Super Gyuto

Post by Jeff B »

Could be a variation in that particular batch or even with just the one knife. The only way to know for sure is to email Mark.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Could also be the angle of the shot
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I think it’s the photo angle. He’s stamping them after hammer forging with the same mold.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

I guess I'm just losing my marbles, but here is another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPfxfeEVpPU&t=288s

and another picture from a different website

Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I've used this one. It's not as dramatic as the photos. Also the best laser I've used so far. Get one and if it's really not what you want, return it. If you like laser performers it won't matter to you either way
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

Also the best laser I've used so far. Get one and if it's really not what you want, return it. If you like laser performers it won't matter to you either way
I've got one coming, it should be here on Monday, I have one of his bunka's in R2 (great knife), I just wanted a more traditional shaped gyuto, hopefully his AS version will fit the bill.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Awesome let us know what you think of it once you get and have used it for a bit.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Bear007 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Also the best laser I've used so far. Get one and if it's really not what you want, return it. If you like laser performers it won't matter to you either way
I've got one coming, it should be here on Monday, I have one of his bunka's in R2 (great knife), I just wanted a more traditional shaped gyuto, hopefully his AS version will fit the bill.
Perfect and fwiw, I like his AS better than the R2 version I used. Stellar knife and ya let us know what you think
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bear007 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm
I've been using my R2 bunka on onions a lot lately. Really love it. Such a thin knife.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

I've been using my R2 bunka on onions a lot lately. Really love it. Such a thin knife.
That's what I picked this one up for, I primarily use my bunka for garlic and shallots. What's happening to me, Its terrible to have a different knife for every job, I guess I'm just trying to find excuses to buy another knife.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

It looks like an knife that's kind of a pretty penny. But how does it perform with product and is there any sticking?
zizirex

Post by zizirex »

Bear007 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm I've been looking at these for a while now, I just noticed that there seems to be a difference in tip shape between Marks photos and his video review, anyone have any insight in this, I'm assuming the straight tip is the newer design.

Yup, that's the mark 1, the latest batch has straighter tips and less upward curve. The early batch that still has rosewood handle has more traditional shape. The jarrah wood version is kinda like k-tip.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

zizirex wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:35 am Yup, that's the mark 1, the latest batch has straighter tips and less upward curve. The early batch that still has rosewood handle has more traditional shape. The jarrah wood version is kinda like k-tip.
I kinda figured that, I had to put a finish on the handle so I just started using it this week, the knife has scalpel like precision, pretty good food release, it will be great for what I wanted it for. My only problem with it is I know someday I'll catch that fine tip and it will get bent, it is inevitable.
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

Hi Bear007, the shibata is a great choice (i´ve used 4 of his knives, and have been very happy with them). I don´t find the tip too sensitive (and have never had any issues with it) - it fits well with the precision oriented theme for the knives. Enjoy the knife !
delmar

Post by delmar »

Definitely look different to me. The easy difference to me is where the spine goes down to the tip. On the newer ones (top photo - non rosewood handles) it is more abrupt like a k tip as someone says. I just pulled mine from my knife drawer and it looks just like the bottom photo.

I have a number of gyutos that rotate in and out of the kitchen. This and 1 other stay as true daily drivers. I too prefer it to his R2 offerings - the profile is a bit more versatile and it has more feedback. The cladding line/edge after patina is gorgeous. I really like the R2 and have a couple, so that is not a knock on them. Surgical scalpels with wood handles.