Black Lotus Knives

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Jeff B

Re: Black Lotus Knives

Post by Jeff B »

pd7077 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 pm ...Dirty wrought is where it’s at!!!
Sounds like something I used to say in my 20's... :? 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Knife is suppose to land on my porch tomorrow. I should have the handle installed no later than Tuesday. I’m excited to put my eyes on Steve’s handy work with those finger stones and then try out that blade, gonna be fun!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I might get to use it by Thanksgiving....
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

:lol:
Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm I might get to use it by Thanksgiving....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

J david wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm Wrought iron is low carbon steel with lots of slag (low grade). The slag gives it its lines that looks similar to Damascus but they are not nearly the same in composition. What we refer to as regular iron cladding is much more refined and likely higher carbon (though it varies greatly from one smith to the next). The Smiths use the good steel for the core and sometimes whatever bullshit they can get cheaply for the cladding. This is a marginal amount of money per knife, but x 1,000 it makes a big difference in bottom line. Some wrought iron is sold as "vintage" and can be pricey, but for the most part, it is cheap material. It is polishers like you, Steve, that makes it sought after. 😉
So succinct ;) Thanks!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Just to keep you all in the loop the pony express has not delivered the knife, typical for where I live. I’m hoping to get it Monday and get the handle installed by Tuesday and sent to participant number two the same day, Andreu.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Any update? Thanks!
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

ashy2classy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am Any update? Thanks!
Sean had a work trip, and the knife didn’t get to him in time for him to complete the handle before he had to leave. USPS strikes again 😡 He just got back into town the other day, and he should have the handle completed and sent to the next participant by the end of the week.
--- Steve
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

pd7077 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 am
ashy2classy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am Any update? Thanks!
Sean had a work trip, and the knife didn’t get to him in time for him to complete the handle before he had to leave. USPS strikes again 😡 He just got back into town the other day, and he should have the handle completed and sent to the next participant by the end of the week.
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:22 pm $20 says this runs into 2020. 8-)
:P
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I just got back from Oahu Tuesday morning. I’ll have this handle installed by the weekend and sent on to the next in line by Monday. I get to play with it atleast a couple times before sending it on. Wait till you guys see Steve’s stone work on this blade in person , it’s exceptional and the wrought iron gets high marks, Jeff did a great job on this blade. Gonna be fun!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’ll be setting the handle this weekend. I’ll share some pics when I do, this knife should start it’s journey early next week.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

The Black Lotus is handled. It’s headed out to Slobound tomorrow. I ended up using a killer piece of Koa with an African blackwood ferrule. The original block we wanted to use had a couple of issues.

This really is a gorgeous knife. When Steve puts it up for auction after the Passaround I’m happy to touch up the handle if needed, one free spa session to the winner. :D

I leave the good pics up to Steve.
ABCFD0D3-00C2-4786-81FB-4C9CB830BFCD.jpeg
B7F54971-8867-4B5F-8AEC-0FB6AF85358C.jpeg
FC388C41-095B-413F-BBA3-EE59539D75A5.jpeg
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

What a cool knife, and what a handle, Sean! I think you managed to capture both class and flash in one piece! Kudos!
The photo of the dirt road is oh so symbolic. The journey begins (or rather, continues)!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Nice work. I like the more simple handle, it has an elegance but let's the knife shine as well.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Handle looks great Sean! Can't wait 'til this gets to me, maybe Christmas.... :?
J david wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm Best case scenario, in my experience, is 10 days per person (includes shipping time) x 15 persons = 150 days or 5 months. It will be close.
Yep, definitely 2020. :P
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm Nice work. I like the more simple handle, it has an elegance but let's the knife shine as well.
Thanks Kalaeb and Dan. I have about dozen pieces of that Koa I got out of a board I found on Oahu. I think you’ll like it even more in person, it’s special wood. I too like two piece handles sometimes, it did seem to fit this knife, classy.

Jeff, sometimes it’s good to feel like a kid at Christmas and have to wait :lol: :lol:
slobound

Post by slobound »

Can’t wait to get my hands on this one! Looks amazing, guys!!!
-- Garrick
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I’m looking forward to seeing the handle in person. It looked so great in the photos Sean sent me that I asked him to make the same thing for one of my own knives!

I had to do a bit of reshuffling because of some vacation conflicts, but it only affects the first few people on the list. I’ll be sending Garrick the updated list later today. BobZ will be receiving the knife next.
--- Steve
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

slobound wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 pm Can’t wait to get my hands on this one! Looks amazing, guys!!!
Can’t wait to hear what you think of it, she’s a beauty!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

There was a bit of a shipping mixup. Slobound received my knife that Sean & his son were working on, and I received the BL knife...so I took the opportunity to touch up the knife and snap a few photos. The handle complements the blade extremely well, and the balance point is just forward of the makers mark. I’ll be sending it on its way first thing Monday morning.

--- Steve