Best food release options out there? gyuto or knife line

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
KetchupKing

Best food release options out there? gyuto or knife line

Post by KetchupKing »

So after trying many knives, I have found that my number one annoyance in knives, is those that food just literally sticks to. That is becoming a huge disliking of mine(sorry lasers). I get that the more lasery you go the more in general will have sticking due to the geometry and what not and same for going thicker and wedging etc. I do like sanjo grind style knives, i like that high shoulder feeling, tall blade like 48-52 range, these things are more important than steel option to me at this point. Was wondering what would be a good option from not having a laser sticking machine, and on the opposite end of big ol thick wedging machine either. What sort of has good food release, tall-ish, but still thin at the edge.. please help because if I have to use my left hand down on product to pry my knife out of sticking ginger any longer i'm gonna lose it :x . I have used takeda btw and it was one of the best if not the best food release knife I've used but was still lasery and not looking for takeda atm, something different (just saying before someone mentions that takeda matches my boxes lol).
KetchupKing

Re: Best food release options out there? gyuto or knife line

Post by KetchupKing »

Since I have not used knives like anryu, nor Gihei, etc, just wondering where they fall into all this. Like i've heard good things about the gihei in that it is a beast and all, but how would like gehei b2 compare to like kurosaki (any steel) and anryu b2
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I've heard the anryu hammered blue 2 knives are really good at food release but haven't handle one yet.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I have the Anyru, it does a great job. Out of all the knives I’ve used, the best for food release has been a Kippington fishhook Gyuto, fishhook refers to the grind. He’s a hobbyist out of Australia who has quite a following, I would post a pic buts its packed.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
polytope

Post by polytope »

I don't know about the gyuto, but the Takeda NAS kurouchi nakiri has release so good it feels like magic.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Gihei I had had good food release. It is a powerhouse of a knife. kinda regret letting it go.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Glestain - built for food release. But do you really think it matters? My Kikuichi Swedish Damascus have shiny sides, bad starchy veg (potatoes) food release, but I've never had a problem knocking stuff off when needed.

My Matsubara and CHII blades all have excellent food release - nothing sticks to them. It's surface finish plain and simple.
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

lsboogy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 pm Glestain - built for food release. But do you really think it matters? My Kikuichi Swedish Damascus have shiny sides, bad starchy veg (potatoes) food release, but I've never had a problem knocking stuff off when needed.

My Matsubara and CHII blades all have excellent food release - nothing sticks to them. It's surface finish plain and simple.
Well fir example ive heard some say their hd2 doesnt stick, but all my hd2 in my experience has had stickin issues, with less on 240 but deff everything under that.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

It's a combination of the finish on the face of the knife, the grind and the chef's technique.

As a *general* rule rougher finishes like a hammered Anryu or a kurouchi Takeda will release more easily than bright shiny highly polished finishes. [ For those of you ready to pounce --- I know there are plenty of exceptions in both directions ] .

One of the things that makes a Takeda, for instance, release so very well is the grind of his knves (gyutos at least) starting at about a third of the way down from the spine. If I remember properly he uses an ecentric concave grind. Timostheos did a nice explanation of this in one of the threads.

Finally, and I haven't mastered this concept yet, some of it comes down to technique. It kind of stands to reason that a long drawn slicing technique will be less likely to release than an aggressive chop.

That said, yeppp... Takeda NAS and Anryu are pretty good.

Tallish - not a laser - thin at the edge? My favorite so far is a Tsourkan but good luck finding one. Doi isn't bad if you're willing to go 48 mm at heel. Another favorite of mine is the Yoshimi 240. I"m not really sure why that knife isn't talked about more than it is.

BTW... since you weren't looking for a laser like knife I didn't mention any of Shibata's line.. even though I think his Kotetsu might be a great option for you to consider. His grinds are fantastic. Food release is excellent. It's a tall knife --- but it's light and lightning fast and thin at the edge. If you found a Takeda laserish you'd find the Shibatas even more so.

Good luck...
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

lsboogy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:34 pm Glestain - built for food release. But do you really think it matters? My Kikuichi Swedish Damascus have shiny sides, bad starchy veg (potatoes) food release, but I've never had a problem knocking stuff off when needed.

Its not as simple as that, grind definetely plays a huge role in food release. And like rob says depending on the knife technique can make a difference. Some knives you have to use technique and some knives dont make you think about it much like takeda, kipps hook grind. I agree finish does play a role its just not the only thing
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

Robstreperous wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:45 am It's a combination of the finish on the face of the knife, the grind and the chef's technique.

As a *general* rule rougher finishes like a hammered Anryu or a kurouchi Takeda will release more easily than bright shiny highly polished finishes. [ For those of you ready to pounce --- I know there are plenty of exceptions in both directions ] .

One of the things that makes a Takeda, for instance, release so very well is the grind of his knves (gyutos at least) starting at about a third of the way down from the spine. If I remember properly he uses an ecentric concave grind. Timostheos did a nice explanation of this in one of the threads.

Finally, and I haven't mastered this concept yet, some of it comes down to technique. It kind of stands to reason that a long drawn slicing technique will be less likely to release than an aggressive chop.

That said, yeppp... Takeda NAS and Anryu are pretty good.

Tallish - not a laser - thin at the edge? My favorite so far is a Tsourkan but good luck finding one. Doi isn't bad if you're willing to go 48 mm at heel. Another favorite of mine is the Yoshimi 240. I"m not really sure why that knife isn't talked about more than it is.

BTW... since you weren't looking for a laser like knife I didn't mention any of Shibata's line.. even though I think his Kotetsu might be a great option for you to consider. His grinds are fantastic. Food release is excellent. It's a tall knife --- but it's light and lightning fast and thin at the edge. If you found a Takeda laserish you'd find the Shibatas even more so.

Good luck...
thanks! Yes, I actually remember vaguely using a shibata kotetsu 135mm and if I remember it did have good food release and for a "laser" style knife the grind was really really really good now that I think back to it, which is strange considering how thin the blade is.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I've tried both the (Sanjo made) Yahiko nashiji, and the Yahiko KU hammered. Both had great food release, though in very different ways. I suspect other lines there do as well. The most recent addition has received SteveG's praise, and has almost been the subject of a passaround, but hasn't materialized
You should check those out.

Oh, the new (also Sanjo) mazaki ku does well on food release too (though the ku gives some resistance during the cut... Perhaps the hairline is better)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

Takeda is king of food release
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Let us know what you think of the food release of gs+. Mine was terrible, but it was the regular 240 not togatta.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Tanaka.