cross contamination between stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
studio398

cross contamination between stones

Post by studio398 »

if i have some middle and high grit stones i want to flatten, what is the best way to avoid cross contamination? flatten the middle grits first, then the higher grits? just trying to understand the why of it also. thank you
"Have a sharp day"
ken123

Re: cross contamination between stones

Post by ken123 »

Use a diamond plate - typically a 140 grit. Rinse plate thoroughly under water with a scrub brush until clean. Use plate for next stone flattening and repeat washing.

---
Ken
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I have a slight variation from Ken's that stems from not being overly concerned if I get some higher grit "contamination" on a lower grit stone.

So if I was going to use say a sequence of 1k, 2k and 6k stones that I wanted to flatten, I would start with the 6k and get that flat, then follow with the 2K and finally the 1k and only wash & clean up after the last stone.

It makes sense to me, but I'd be interested in a critique of whether that's OK or not???
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Radar53 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm I have a slight variation from Ken's that stems from not being overly concerned if I get some higher grit "contamination" on a lower grit stone.

So if I was going to use say a sequence of 1k, 2k and 6k stones that I wanted to flatten, I would start with the 6k and get that flat, then follow with the 2K and finally the 1k and only wash & clean up after the last stone.

It makes sense to me, but I'd be interested in a critique of whether that's OK or not???
That is how I do it too.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I'm more of a purist here. Cleaning between flattenings with water and a brush takes me a few seconds and effectively removes residual debris. I do have days where I'm flattening 100+ stones in a day, so it makes sense to me to not have to observe a specific sequence of stones. Also true with natural stones where grits levels can be more indeterminate.

---
Ken
studio398

Post by studio398 »

I don't have any running water in my workshop, so I use the spray bottle. I was basically wondering if it would be worse to contaminate a low git stone with a higher grit stone or the other way around. Seems like there might be an argument for each side
"Have a sharp day"
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I don't mind having higher grit "mud" getting into lower grit stones because being a higher grit (smaller micron number) it's not going to compromise the workings of that stone.

However, having lower grit "mud" getting into higher grit stones is just the opposite. Adding lower grit (read larger micron number) bits, will add larger particles that can mess up a finer finish with larger / deeper scratches.

At least that's my reasoning
Cheers Grant

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Exactly what Grant said. Avoid those large particles. Now with natural stone particles with varying breakdown rates it gets a bit more complex.
---
Ken
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I agree with Ken - I use a diamond flattening plate any more. And natural stones are different, most of mine start out with a little coarser grit and after a few minutes start getting finer.

I did learn to flatten stones on the front steps in Japan, and have used concrete in the past, followed by a good rinse and scrubbing. But it makes more sense to get a good flattening plate when you start getting into more expensive stones. Thinking about it, I know what I'm getting my neices and nephew for Xmas this year - they all have entry level decent knives (all from this site) and Cerax combination stones to keep them sharp - I'll be getting them diamond flattening plates.
studio398

Post by studio398 »

i have an atoma 140 and really like it. i was concerned about higher grit mud plugging up the pores of a lower grit stone and making that lower grit stone a less efficient cutter. thanks for the lesson on the need to be more worried about getting lower grit particles into higher grit stones. thank you Ken, Grant, Kitcraft and isboogy
"Have a sharp day"
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

It's all an ongoing learning experience and that makes it interesting & fun. It never ceases to amaze me the different approaches, variations of tools & techniques the different people have. There is generally no "one right way" to do or achieve something and that's what makes it interesting & fun.

Let us know what you try & how it works or not for you
Cheers Grant

Aogam123

Post by Aogam123 »

If you have high grit stones, invest in a 600 atoma, i use itfor my 8000 stone w good results. Can be used for 1000 stones to. And do your flattening in the kitchen, you must have access to fresh water.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

The 600 Atoma is ok for raising a slurry but it doesn’t flatten well since it’s too fine to do much. I only use the 140 on stones. In fact I use the cheap one we sell more these days since I tend to burn through them. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

To avoid stone contamination just rinse the stone before you use it. Make sure you wipe off your knife between stones too.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Agree with Mark. If you need a finer finish use a matching stone, but even that is rarely needed.

Ken
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:59 pm The 600 Atoma is ok for raising a slurry but it doesn’t flatten well since it’s too fine to do much. I only use the 140 on stones. In fact I use the cheap one we sell more these days since I tend to burn through them. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

To avoid stone contamination just rinse the stone before you use it. Make sure you wipe off your knife between stones too.
What lifetime do you expect from these? How do you judge it to be used up?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

It’s easy to tell when they’re used up because the diamonds wear away and you’re left with a smooth plate. It’s very easy to see when they get stripped clean.

How long depends on what you use it on and how much. I find that the 140 grit atoma’s last me less than a year and I would say the CKTG 140s slightly longer. But I tend the flatten a lot more than home users.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Mark remind me to order on of your plates next time I place an order. I know that it’s very good because you sent me an EP sized version well over a year ago and it’s still going very strong.