Blade guy wants to learn to cook, needs knife

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
impending_bending

Re: Blade guy wants to learn to cook, needs knife

Post by impending_bending »

Thanks isboogy and all, that is extremely helpful. I will follow up very soon here with the results!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Impending - there is no dumbass for not knowing something. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
impending_bending

So, I went and got the takamura. The kohetsu is next on my list. I got the takamura partly for looks for the Mrs and I must say, I am pretty disappointed with the fit and finish. The biggest issue is that the stamped part of the blade is stamped all the way through and visible from the other side. Is this normal??
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

The kanji on many blades is simple stamped and may well show through on the other side. And fit and finish are pretty much in the price point of knives. If you have diamond files or sandpaper, try doing a bit of work on the choil and spine of the knife. Big box stuff tend to have fit and finish (Shun, Miyabi) but lacks in blade. Mark sells instruments that concentrate on blade first. The Chromax my brother got also has some kanji showing, and I did his spine and choil work. The blade is amazing for the price

And Kohetsu blades are very much on the blade end of things - cheap handles attached to marvelous blades. I have a set (210, 240, 270) rehandled by Bensbites -they are soooo pretty now and just a great set of blades to pull out for show, and they go go go.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

The Takamura Migaki line -I believe that’s what you got- is their mid-price line. You’d see exquisite fit and finish in their “Pro” and “Hana” lines. Which are quite a bit more $$$.
impending_bending

OK thanks ladies/gents, it's good to know this kind of thing is to be expected. I have known blades and axes to break where stamped before and was afraid this might be a defect. As long as it is normal, it somehow doesn't look as bad in my mind so I can live with that and the wife hasn't complained either. Actually, the Mrs doesn't want to use it and says "that new knife scares me" lol

This knife is a great performer, but I am already finding myself more and more interested in that kohetsu, to hell with f&f :)
impending_bending

lsboogy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:41 pm If you have diamond files or sandpaper, try doing a bit of work on the choil and spine of the knife.
Any quick tips and pointers here, isboogy?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Make the spine a bit rounder and smooth. You will feel it pretty quick. It's really easy, just round the sharp edges a bit. The knife will be much more comfortable. Do a bit on the choil as well - not as important, but the blade will be more comfortable when you use it for any length of time.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

impending_bending wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:19 am
lsboogy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:41 pm If you have diamond files or sandpaper, try doing a bit of work on the choil and spine of the knife.
Any quick tips and pointers here, isboogy?
Sand paper will get the job done, no files needed if you don't have them. Several threads on polishing the spine and choil, just do a search.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
impending_bending

lsboogy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:48 pm Make the spine a bit rounder and smooth. You will feel it pretty quick. It's really easy, just round the sharp edges a bit. The knife will be much more comfortable. Do a bit on the choil as well - not as important, but the blade will be more comfortable when you use it for any length of time.
Awesome. Worked brilliantly. You, sir, are a genius.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Nothing of the sort, just been around the block a couple of times.