Appreciation

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Radar53

Appreciation

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Peter. For some reason I cannot reply to your posts on your blogsite. So this is what I was trying to add there to your thread on "Some Tips". Hi Peter, me too. I check your blog at least once a day religiously. Without doubt, you provide some of the best thought out advice & commentary. Cheers Radar53
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
nakneker

Re: Appreciation

Post by nakneker »

I haven’t seen Peter’s blog. Can someone provide a link. I’d love to check it out.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There nakneker,

Everything that you ever wanted to know and more is here http://sharpener-pete.blogspot.com/

Enjoy
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love Peter's Blog, been reading it for years!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Wow thank you fellas. I often think I’m the only one who looks at my Blog but I know a few people go there so I try to keep it up by adding material every couple of weeks.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I love reading your blog Peter - I like that you also use a Kitayama 8K, and I have been using a loupe as well as a finger to find ever smaller burrs. I go on one side until I think I might be able fell a burr - the loupe is helping me get better as to when a micro burr has formed. We appreciate you very much -
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Gees and I though Jeff was a nice guy. Thank you 😊😅

It’s amazing how much we can learn and how important that burr is, forming them and especially removing them. I’m guessing we never truly remove it but who the heck has a Scanning Electron Microscope to prove that. ?

Thanks again
Peter
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 am Gees and I though Jeff was a nice guy. Thank you 😊😅

It’s amazing how much we can learn and how important that burr is, forming them and especially removing them. I’m guessing we never truly remove it but who the heck has a Scanning Electron Microscope to prove that. ?

Thanks again
Peter
If you look close enough, you might just find those folks on the forum who DO have such a device, haha :)
I've seen some wonderful shots of steel, way too close and personal!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Radar, I also have tried to leave comments on Peter's blog so this is a great way to say thank you. Nice one mate!
Peter. After years of blundering around in the dark you were the shining light on my road to sharpening nirvana.
Well may be I'm not that good yet, but at least I am now reasonably competent and you are the one who got me here.
Many mahalos!
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Wow. Thank you.
The coolest part about knife sharpening for me is just how much there is to learn. After 40 years I consider my Glass about half full. The thing is, you don’t realize this at first, you don’t know what you don’t know. Also, you can make knives sharper than new in months after learning a technique. So it goes well beyond the ability to turn dull knives into sharp ones. Ego is the barrier, if you think you know it all the journey ends. Poor bastards.

On another note. Not 30 minutes ago I ordered black lava sea salt from Hawaii. I was on a cruise last year and they had a Salt Menu at the steak place. The black salt was amazing.

Salt is Sharp 😊
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 pm Wow. Thank you.
The coolest part about knife sharpening for me is just how much there is to learn. After 40 years I consider my Glass about half full. The thing is, you don’t realize this at first, you don’t know what you don’t know. Also, you can make knives sharper than new in months after learning a technique. So it goes well beyond the ability to turn dull knives into sharp ones. Ego is the barrier, if you think you know it all the journey ends. Poor bastards.

On another note. Not 30 minutes ago I ordered black lava sea salt from Hawaii. I was on a cruise last year and they had a Salt Menu at the steak place. The black salt was amazing.

Salt is Sharp 😊
I love that salt Peter.
Let me know if you ever need any more.
Where did you go to eat that steak? A salt menu sounds like fun :)
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

I was on a cruise and they had a fantastic steak house. It was my first experience with a salt menu and the black salt was the best. I’m going to order it off of Amazon. 😊
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 am Gees and I though Jeff was a nice guy. Thank you 😊😅

Thanks again
Peter
I do at work. I can sometimes put stuff in the big chamber and scan it. They don't like porous materials, but if the handle is well oiled the pumps can usually handle it. The small one can handle a 210 pretty easily, and it's got a turbomolecular pump, so out gassing is not as big a problem. The small one has resolution to ~2nm (it's a 15 year old beast that most don't use any more, so I can get stuff in it if I stay late) - the big one can do SE or BSE depending on what you want, but it's much better vacuum means it can get sub nm resolution