Pelican Cases and VCI paper

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
nevrknow

Pelican Cases and VCI paper

Post by nevrknow »

I store my better knives not in rotation in pelican cases. Through a generous member I acquired some vci paper. Threw it in one of my cases to wrap knives with. I work out of town and came home 2 weeks later, opened the case and the paper was soaking wet.

My question is: I store the knives alone in the case and no issues so obviously ( in my mind ) it was something I did/did not do.

Thoughts?

Adding, the case was kept closed and locked while I was away in my air conditioned home.
Kalaeb

Re: Pelican Cases and VCI paper

Post by Kalaeb »

Maui turned me on to vci cartridges:

Might work out for you.
yparker

Post by yparker »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:14 pm Maui turned me on to vci cartridges:

Might work out for you.
What are these? Do they draw moisture out of the air?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I store my VCI paper in a ziplock bag until a new client knife comes in. Then I use the new paper with the client knife. I haven’t experienced what you are describing.

Were the knives corroded? What about storing the knives with damp rid?
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) a molecular layer on steel that retards oxidation. To draw moisture out would require a desiccant. Some providers like Zorb-it make combination vci and desiccant products. That may be an ideal solution for the Pelican case. I haven’t used Zorb-it personally.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

If I think a knife will not be used for a while I give it a light coat of mineral oil. I guess any type of cooking oil would also work. Mineral oil works well for cutting boards too.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Glad this popped back up. Got the cartridges on July 7. Thanks Amazon! From then until now, absolutely ZERO issues, same blades, same case.

Thanks Kaleb and Maui! No issues yet but dropped a couple in the pistol safe, just because. :)