Need a Gyuto recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
benjii2904

Need a Gyuto recommendation

Post by benjii2904 »

1)Pro or home cook? Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? Gyuto, though if it has similar curve profile I might consider other types.

3) What size knife do you want? 210mm/240mm

4)How much do you want to spend? 200-250$ seems fine, would go less for a good price-value knife

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Doesn't matter

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Aritsugu Santoku (Western handle) 210mm, Wusthof Classic 210mm

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Mostly push and rocking

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

I had my eye for Miyabi Birchwood for a very long time, it's quality and look amazed me.
Lately I am beginning to think that it might not be the best price for value knife to buy, and also I was worried it's heel might be too short.
I'm looking for a gyuto with enough curve on the blade for rocking, something like a french profile, with a heel high "enough".
I prefer a knife with some clad to prevent food to stick. high-quality blade with high edge retention.
Like I said, I am a home cook, I might not need another knife with such quality (the Aritsugu is amazing, sorry I don't know the knife's name), I'm mostly a knives enthusiastic.

Thanks in advance!
Igalor

Re: Need a Gyuto recommendation

Post by Igalor »

Tanakas are great knives, take a look at the nashiji clad blue version
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Tanaka's rock.
I wonder if a Shibata AS 210 would work. More laser like, but still with a rocking profile, and reportedly able to shed food
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Aogam123 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm No replies? Forum normally full of wisdom
Your answers to the questionnaire are pretty broad and cover multiple dozens of knives...maybe even a hundred if you go beyond the boarders of cktg.

Given the responses I would say the Miyabi is a perfectly suitable choice. The steel is very well done, the profile fits a variety of cutting styles and would suit your rocking much better than the traditionally flat profiled knives here. It is not out of a acceptable price range considering the SG2 core.

The Tanaka mentioned above is a great knife and my go to response when anything will fit. Also the Konosuke swedish or GS would suit you well.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Augh - don't go waste your money on a Miyabi or Shun. Big box store knives are cool, but I have personal experience due to a neighbor who thought his Miyabis were great cutters - I sharpened them for him and then let him use a couple of my blades while we cooked dinner for our SO's. The stuff Mark sells is for a different game - these are professional instruments rather than knives aimed at a big box home cook market.

I think you seem to veer towards a KS profile knife as they are now called. Masamoto took the old Sabatier profile (what I learned with - mom loved Julia Child and bought a large set of Sabatiers in France in the 50's and 60's - I still love to use my Nogent stuff - kind of a French Version of a Wa handle), and did a much better grind with W2 steel and heat treated it harder than the old Sabatier stuff. There are many makers who do French profile, and Mark has a page dedicated to them

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/clfr25prgy.html

And given that there are so many who absolutely revere Konosuke stuff, I would steer you into one of the GS knives. I only have one Kono (HD2 240) and am starting to us it more and more, the Konosuke stuff is great bang for buck (a $400 knife that performs much better than the price would suggest), and I would guess that holds true in the GS line as well. That would be my suggestion for you
benjii2904

Post by benjii2904 »

Most of the knives you offered seems fantastic but its above my budget unfortunately...

I'd really like to stay at my price limit, with a 240mm gyuto, with kurouchi cladding
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

benjii2904 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:06 pm Most of the knives you offered seems fantastic but its above my budget unfortunately...

I'd really like to stay at my price limit, with a 240mm gyuto, with kurouchi cladding
Take a look at this one

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kogs24frstgy.html

Konosuke are revered here, with good reason - I only own 1 (HD2 240), the profile is something I am getting used to, but it cuts with anything I own. I am starting to believe in Konosuke more and more every day.

I've sharpened and used Miyabi knives (even my line knife cuts better than any Miyabi I've ever used) - they are very pretty, but aimed at Shun customers, not in the same league the stuff that Mark sells. And I don't know anyone on this site who uses Miyabi stuff - for professional instruments, you can't beat what is sold here. Konosuke is one of seven or so makers to be allowed to make Honyaki knives in Japan, these are the highest class knife makers in the world. No Miyabi will ever cut with them
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You have a couple 210s, try a 240. A knife with above average food release and holds a good edge. Think it will fit your needs well and it's within your budget. It restocks frequently, just add your email on the product page and you will be notified when it's back in stock.

Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 240mm - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

This is a no-nonsense, good cutter at a reasonable price. We sell the hell out of this model and most customers love them: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas21gy.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:03 pm Konosuke is one of seven or so makers to be allowed to make Honyaki knives in Japan, these are the highest class knife makers in the world.
Hmmmmmm. I don't think a smith needs permission to make a honyaki blade in Japan or anywhere else for that matter. Of course there are very few who can successfully pull off this difficult task. But that's a different issue.
Also, Konosuke is not a maker in the accepted sense of the word. They commission knives from many different makers and smiths/sharpeners. Also, they actually have not sold many Honyaki knives at all during their relatively brief history. Certainly not up there with the likes of Sukenari, Sakjai Takayuki, Jikko and many others.
But they do make some of the best knives around, and that is a definite fact :D
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I don't know Ray, I may be mistaken, but I was told that only master blade smiths could make them when I bough my first in Japan (Masamoto) - I know that Murray Carter is one of those master blade smiths, maybe we should ask him. And there are very few master blades smiths in Japan, let alone th world
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm I don't know Ray, I may be mistaken, but I was told that only master blade smiths could make them when I bough my first in Japan (Masamoto) - I know that Murray Carter is one of those master blade smiths, maybe we should ask him. And there are very few master blades smiths in Japan, let alone th world

Konosuke arent smiths at all, they just order the knives, and then sell them to us, they dont even sell their product in japan. At least 2 smiths have made honyakis for konosuke, im not sure, but i dont think that they are dentou kougeshi.

A bunch of smiths make differentialy hardened kitchen knives outside of japan, maybe more at this point than inside japan itself.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm I don't know Ray, I may be mistaken, but I was told that only master blade smiths could make them when I bough my first in Japan (Masamoto) - I know that Murray Carter is one of those master blade smiths, maybe we should ask him. And there are very few master blades smiths in Japan, let alone th world
You are mistaken. Anyone can make Honyaki knives. If they are able.
Plus Carter is not a Japanese blade smith even if he has that designation.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm well aware of Carters designation - I was told that only a small number of folk could make Honyaki blades in Japan.
polytope

Post by polytope »

Perhaps it is a "can" vs "may" distinction—ie they meant only a few people had the skill (vs had permission to)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

polytope wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am Perhaps it is a "can" vs "may" distinction—ie they meant only a few people had the skill (vs had permission to)
The voice of reason!
lsboogy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:38 pm I'm well aware of Carters designation - I was told that only a small number of folk could make Honyaki blades in Japan.
OK then. Please offer up some proof if you are so sure of this. I'm willing to be educated.
And you are the one that bought Carter into this discussion by stating that he was one of the few smiths allowed to make Honyaki knives.
But let's do it on another thread.

The OP wanted factual recommendations for a specific knife not a load of dubious opinions about a few makers. Like all the unwarranted Shun and Miyabi hate!
Please stick to facts on threads like this.

This discussion ends here.
Let's get back to the OP please.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:14 am
Aogam123 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm No replies? Forum normally full of wisdom
Your answers to the questionnaire are pretty broad and cover multiple dozens of knives...maybe even a hundred if you go beyond the boarders of cktg.

Given the responses I would say the Miyabi is a perfectly suitable choice. The steel is very well done, the profile fits a variety of cutting styles and would suit your rocking much better than the traditionally flat profiled knives here. It is not out of a acceptable price range considering the SG2 core.

The Tanaka mentioned above is a great knife and my go to response when anything will fit. Also the Konosuke swedish or GS would suit you well.
Note: the Konosuke GS is now on sale, so that's value for buck right there! (How's the release on that one though? The OP specifically mentioned that).

I haven't used the Miyabi, but if I recall, anyone who came here looking for something else never complained about them. They're beautiful and eminently functional!

I was thinking of the Gihei B#2 for retention and value, and different sort of profile. Otherwise, Kurosaki R2 offerings would be a much more "hand-crafted" alternative to the Miyabi (R2 is another name for SG2, I believe)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well this one strayed from the original topic, didn't it?

Honyaki techniques have long since been a skill of swordmakers and polishers so it isnt a skillset unique to a select group.
Indeed there are many discussions regarding honyaki blades including discussions of sword polishing techniques with specific natural stones being used to create unique finishes specific to individual sword makers. The techniques are really part of a long history. Unfortunately because they are hard to make, they often break and more than one are made at a time. This contributes to their cost.

Of course this is a side topic from the original poster's question which should be the focus of the remainder of these posts.

---
Ken
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

benjii2904 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:06 pm Most of the knives you offered seems fantastic but its above my budget unfortunately...

In that case perhaps take a look at either the itto-ryu kurouchi or yahiko kurouchi:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ithagy240.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh2kugy24.html

Both are stainless, easy to sharpen and excellent performers (i´m pretty sure they´ll wow you). They represent at style of knife with a confident feel (def. not lasers), thin edge, yet feel nimble for their size due to the taper (blade starts thick near the handle and then thins towards the tip).

That being said there´s an argument for going with what inspires you and encourage you to improve you knife skills/knowledge/passion:
I was once drawn to the miyabi (same as you), mainly because of the inlaid birchwood handle. Although fairly priced, a lot of that goes to the brand and looks/handle, and you can certainly get excellent performance for less. Please also keep in mind if the profile suits you cutting style